Diabetes

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default update on lifestyle change - NO FATS

Spouse has had amazing change in blood sugar results....Three weeks ago, blood sugar count was 170, today 97, lost 12 lbs....Did not eat any fat products, has supplemented with protein drink,eating fruits and veggies, blood pressure is now 105/65 and pulse rate of 66 and energy level is great...The point is that anyone that has been diagnosed with diabetes CAN turn this around....It just goes to show that there is a big difference between hyperglycemia and diabetes...If you want to beat this elevated blood glucose, get the fat out of your diet....Your body cells become resistant to insulin because the cells are loaded with fat globules....So you see, it's not a matter of NOT enough insulin. Will mnitor diet in the future and avoid fats and sugars as much as possible....NO insulin injections needed here!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Spouse has had amazing change in blood sugar results....Three weeks ago, blood sugar count was 170, today 97, lost 12 lbs....Did not eat any fat products, has supplemented with protein drink,eating fruits and veggies, blood pressure is now 105/65 and pulse rate of 66 and energy level is great...The point is that anyone that has been diagnosed with diabetes CAN turn this around....It just goes to show that there is a big difference between hyperglycemia and diabetes...If you want to beat this elevated blood glucose, get the fat out of your diet....Your body cells become resistant to insulin because the cells are loaded with fat globules....So you see, it's not a matter of NOT enough insulin. Will mnitor diet in the future and avoid fats and sugars as much as possible....NO insulin injections needed here!!!
Good job! Keep up the good work.

I am happy to hear the results were great.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Wonderful news and congratulations to
Mr jebartle......please keep us updated.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

jbartle!!

Fantastic!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
....It just goes to show that there is a big difference between hyperglycemia and diabetes...If you want to beat this elevated blood glucose, get the fat out of your diet....Your body cells become resistant to insulin because the cells are loaded with fat globules....So you see, it's not a matter of NOT enough insulin.
I have been told I am insulin resistant and am on oral anti-diabetic meds.....have not had insulin resistance explained that way to me by my endo.....so.just did a search and found Dr Barnard's book for $9 on ebay so ordered it........will give it a read.....knew about giving up the white stuff (flour, sugar, bread).....but corn...I love corn and have been eating a lot of it that's gonna be tough.

I had learned that eating 1/2 cup beans at every meal will aid diabetics....by delaying digestion and delaying raising the blood sugar and so have been adding lot of beans to my diet.

Great information being posted, thanks everyone.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Good Job JohnN!! Now eliminate yellow stuff: , bananas, anything corn: syrup (high fructose or not), popcorn, kernel corn, etc.

Go Green!
Try reading "Sugar Busters" I read it several years ago and it will really open your eyes. It also mentioned to avoid carrots.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Sage
Default I discovered

that the eventual outcome of this horrible disease if not taken seriously is not a consideration IF some diabetics must give up certain foods.....We all love the chocolate cake or that frosty beer BUT if you weigh LOSS of limb or blindness as the result, it pales in comparison....Why not give yourself a shot of good healthy food RATHER than insulin!....This doesn't mean that ALL good things must come to an end, ONLY that you enjoy in moderation....Please folks, go to your doctor and ask him, if it works.....I assure you, that it certainly has made a remarkable difference to my husband...PLEASE take this disease seriously....OK, I'm off my soapbox.....
Old 03-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
that the eventual outcome of this horrible disease if not taken seriously is not a consideration IF some diabetics must give up certain foods.....We all love the chocolate cake or that frosty beer BUT if you weigh LOSS of limb or blindness as the result, it pales in comparison....Why not give yourself a shot of good healthy food RATHER than insulin!....This doesn't mean that ALL good things must come to an end, ONLY that you enjoy in moderation....Please folks, go to your doctor and ask him, if it works.....I assure you, that it certainly has made a remarkable difference to my husband...PLEASE take this disease seriously....OK, I'm off my soapbox.....
jebartle;

I couldn't agree with you more. It is of epidemic proportions in this country. When patients are first diagnosed with diabetes, the PA said that almost everyone says,"just give some pills and I'm out of here". They don't want to hear they need to change their eating habits. I have been in control for several years.

You can work to keep it under control or it will control you. It is a insidious disease as you don't know what's going on inside of you and can find out only though blood work.

I personally feel better when I eat in controlled amounts several times a day and exercise.

I am grateful that I was diagnose early and have been able to control it. It is a never ending battle that we all should try to win.

Best wishes to everyone as it's not easy.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Sage
Default I must say

If this thread will change one diabetics life around, then I've done my job....So thankful to have my happy healthy husband again and hope you will all take this disease seriously....I know that in the twilight of our lives, quality of life is more important than quantity, BUT you can have quality also, just in moderation....

Big big "atta boy's" for every post....I've learned soooo much from all of you and now have a healthier lifestyle myself....
Old 05-05-2011, 03:09 PM

Before you buy in to curing diabetes by eating carbs, just think about it for a minute. You know that carbs raise blood sugar - its fundemental!

I would suggest the exact opposite of this kind of diet - very low carbs. The very lowest carb diet is Atkins. Start there and then slowly increase carbs BASED on your blood sugar readings at one and two hours after eating. Its called eating by your meter.

Go to bloodsugar101.com and diabetsforum.com and spend some time on both cites. The results are amazing and weight loss is a bonus.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM

diabetesforum.com - sorry.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

can't take credit for the saying, and I forget who said it , but....

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS HEALTHY FEELS
Old 05-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHumble View Post
Before you buy in to curing diabetes by eating carbs, just think about it for a minute. You know that carbs raise blood sugar - its fundemental!

I would suggest the exact opposite of this kind of diet - very low carbs. The very lowest carb diet is Atkins. Start there and then slowly increase carbs BASED on your blood sugar readings at one and two hours after eating. Its called eating by your meter.

Go to bloodsugar101.com and diabetsforum.com and spend some time on both cites. The results are amazing and weight loss is a bonus.
This is true. My body cannot tolerate a lot of carbs, but everyone is different. Your post makes a very good suggestion. Also, look up the glycemic index of foods you may think are low carb -- you may be surprised! (eat low-glycemic foods).

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.