DIY Masks

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2020, 08:20 PM
Veteran member
Default DIY Masks

If you sew you might want to make some masks for yourself or family and friends. They are super easy to whip up.

Here is a really good video that shows how to make one that is similar in style to the pleated throwaway surgical masks with elastic behind the ears:

How To Sew a Reusable Face Mask - YouTube

Her pattern and instructions are here:

Patterns | The Turban Project

You don't really need a pattern, since you are just cutting two rectangular pieces of fabric. She uses 9" x 6". I prefer 9" x 7" so they cover more of my face. I also cut two pieces of light to medium weight Pellon interfacing to put between the pieces of fabric to do a better job of filtering. (Totally optional.)

Elastic is hard to find these days because so many people are making masks and donating them to medical people. If you sew maybe you already have some. You can also use bias tape (or strips of fabric folded like bias tape) to create ties instead of using elastic. Some people prefer ties. Personal preference.

NOTE: Surgical masks have a thin metal strip across the bridge of the nose that you can bend to make the masks fit your face tightly. She does not use anything as a nose wire. You can buy them on eBay (a package of 50 is < $10) or you can use a 3" section of pipe cleaner or those things you tie bread and trash bags with. The ones you buy on eBay are sticky on the back so you can put them in the appropriate spot before you sew your masks. When I am done I top-stitch around the area where the nose wire is so it stays where it belongs when you launder the mask.

I hope this makes sense. If you have any questions send me a message. Happy sewing!

kathy
Closed Thread

Tags
masks, fabric, nose, pieces, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.