Do you like Medicare?

Do you like Medicare?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Do you like Medicare?
Old 07-30-2019, 09:07 PM

Default Do you like Medicare?

PLEASE don't make this political. I'm watching the Democratic debate on healthcare. Many want Medicare for all. I had healthcare covered by my company (large company) which included prescription drugs, vision and dental. Cost was relatively low. I'm now on Medicare. I prefer my company's healthcare! The dental was better, vision was better, and I paid less for some prescription drugs.
I'm curious... are you happier on Medicare? (Is your Medicare supplemented by a company?). Or would you prefer to be on your employer's healthcare plan?
Can we please have an intelligent, non-political discussion on this?

Old 07-30-2019, 09:17 PM
Veteran member

I have regular Medicare with BCBS supplement. This, after a corporate medical plan. I found a few insignificant trade offs, but I do like Medicare overall. I suspect part of the experience might be what someone’s portion of the payment would be under a corporate plan, what kind of health issues they may be experiencing, etc. so far, it’s worked for me, and everyone I’ve worked with accepts the plans I have.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:23 PM

I consider myself lucky that hubby still works full-time and we get insurance from his job, as I do NOT want to go on Medicare.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Medicare (regular, not Advantage) pay about 80% of covered expenses and don't most people buy supplemental coverage AND drug coverage in addition to paying their monthly premium to the govt? Assuming that is accurate, when these people talk about "Medicare for All" are they talking about a plan where everybody pays $140 (or whatever the current monthly premium is) for 80% coverage AND then either pay the 20% balance plus drug costs out of pocket OR are they using "Medicare for All" as a euphemism for universal healthcare that pays for everything for everyone by increasing our taxes to match what people pay in Europe? Serious question, as I am not watching/listening to those people debate.

kathy
Old 07-30-2019, 09:35 PM
Veteran member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

Although I am in no hurry to get any older, I can't wait until we become eligable for Medicare. The cost of insurance for someone who is not covered by an employer, and is not yet 65, is absolutely crippling! The problem is that I have no confidence that Medicare won't be totally gutted because of our Countrie's massive and unstanable budget defect and corresponding debt. Anyone who lives in the "Medicare for all" fanticy world clearly does not recognize the reality of the long term implications of unsustainable debt!
Old 07-30-2019, 09:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I consider myself lucky that hubby still works full-time and we get insurance from his job, as I do NOT want to go on Medicare.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Medicare (regular, not Advantage) pay about 80% of covered expenses and don't most people buy supplemental coverage AND drug coverage in addition to paying their monthly premium to the govt? Assuming that is accurate, when these people talk about "Medicare for All" are they talking about a plan where everybody pays $140 (or whatever the current monthly premium is) for 80% coverage AND then either pay the 20% balance plus drug costs out of pocket OR are they using "Medicare for All" as a euphemism for universal healthcare that pays for everything for everyone by increasing our taxes to match what people pay in Europe? Serious question, as I am not watching/listening to those people debate.

kathy
Please note that "everybody" doesn't pay the current monthly premium of about $140 for Medicare Part B. It is based on your income, and some pay as much as $460 per month for the same Medicare Part B coverage as those paying $140.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:22 PM
Sage

I looked forward to Medicare as I could finally get some things, at least partially paid for (had to pay a co-pay) that our insurance wouldn't cover before. I've been on Medicare for nearly 13 yrs now and it's been fine. Some folks did work for companies that had the cadillac of ins.---we did not. Bully for them! Back in the day we did too...but things began to change for many businesses where it wasn't sustainable for them.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:35 PM

I was on Medicare, but i am now on VA Healthcare. There is no comparison. VA is vastly better. VA healthcare is socialized medical care. The main reason I believe the VA system is better is that there is no profit motive in the VA system. The system is motivated to keep me healthy since that reduces their costs. Medicare pays for commercial healthcare, where the motive is to treat as many me's as possible - to make a profit, but no motive cure anyone.

There are many problems with employer provided for profit healthcare the first being you can't easily change employers - you soul is owed to the company store.

Any system that allows the for profit healthcare systems to black mail us for whatever we can pay is doomed to bankrupt the country.

Healthcare can only work if it is treated as a right and the industry pricing is regulated to permit reasonable profits based on results (ie. VA system) and not profit.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:39 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Please note that "everybody" doesn't pay the current monthly premium of about $140 for Medicare Part B. It is based on your income, and some pay as much as $460 per month for the same Medicare Part B coverage as those paying $140.
This is just another tax. Imagine if a hamburger cost say $4.00 at McDonalds below a specified income level and up to $12.00 if one's income exceeded a certain amount.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-30-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes, I am aware. If I had moved from hubby's insurance to Medicare a few years ago I would have been paying the maximum for much less coverage (because of his income). Of course my SS payments are not calculated on his earnings, but on what I earned during my lifetime (not even in the same ballpark). Why am I not surprised ha!

k.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I finally earned Medicare. Now they want to give it to.... Cheaper than what I had. Better?

Tags
medicare, healthcare, company, prescription, vision