Do you like Medicare?

Do you like Medicare?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 08-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I just want to make 2 points. One, when you offer a Government option for health care to everyone, private employer paid insurance will no longer be an option because the employers will stop paying for their employees' insurance altogether. And, second, no one is talking about the fact that any Govenment provided health care will need to be paid for with borrowed money, because the Government is 22 trillion dollars in debt. Yes, individuals will not pay for health care directly, but our children and grandchildren will eventually have to pay off the debt or continue to pay enormous and increasing interest payments forever.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I just want to make 2 points. One, when you offer a Government option for health care to everyone, private employer paid insurance will no longer be an option because the employers will stop paying for their employees' insurance altogether. And, second, no one is talking about the fact that any Govenment provided health care will need to be paid for with borrowed money, because the Government is 22 trillion dollars in debt. Yes, individuals will not pay for health care directly, but our children and grandchildren will eventually have to pay off the debt or continue to pay enormous and increasing interest payments forever.
I think the ship has sailed on what we are doing to future generations.

You failed to add that the deficit is growing by leaps and bounds despite what we were told. Fiscally, we are out of control
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Removing employer healthcare is considered by many (me included) to be a good thing. In many cases (most) in the current system it acts as a lock to keep employees from seeking better employment elsewhere. It is NOT easy to find healthcare at a new employer and it often will not cover pre-existing conditions. And there is normally a gap when you move.

And no, borrowing of the plans being suggested all provide payment plans. The basic idea is everyone pays a higher "medicare" tax, which they are already paying, just higher. In return everyone gets medical health care for no charge - period. No deductibles, not excluded conditions, no fighting with the insurance company over if the doctor should have provided the test or service. No wondering if your insurance is going to cover something.

The estimates are that the higher medicare tax will be offset by the lower cost of living (all medical costs paid). So everyone will save money - except those that don't bother to have health insurance, and let you and me pay for their illness or injury by going to an emergency room.

Will it work? No one knows, we do know various forms of it work in numerous other countries (actually 17 of them that provide better cheaper healthcare then were do), and the result is better healthcare (measured by results) happier and healthier citizens, and the cost is about 1/2 to 1/3 of what we are paying with our current multi-payer for profit healthcare system.

Our healthcare is NOT keeping you healthy, in fact they hope you get sick - there is no profit in curing anyone of anything, there is only profit in treating illness. In a system where there is no profit, the motivation is to keep you healthy. I KNOW this works, because I use the VA healthcare, and that is exactly what I see.

When I was in medicare, I went to for profit healthcare "groups" and saw a different doctor every visit, and if I was lucky I saw them for 15 minutes. There was a constant feeling of they really wanted to get done with me and get to the next patient.

Now that I am in the VA, I always see my primary care provider, and they speak with me as long as I want to talk. They are obviously interested in my healthcare because they want to keep me healthy to save money - see, they are not making a profit, they are working on a limited budget, and it is in their best interest to make sure I stay healthy.

That is what single payer healthcare can be - at least I believe it can be.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
No wondering if your insurance is going to cover something.
Seriously? Do you think that when the govt takes over you will be able to get any treatment or procedure or medication that your doctor wants you to have? Medicare doesn't do that now. (i.e. They pay for the cheap single-vision lenses after cataract surgery, not the more expensive multi-focal ones I got.) Medicaid/MediCal doesn't do that now. They have a list of drugs that you can have. If your drug is on the list, great. If it is not, oh, well ...

I know insurance companies don't pay for everything either, because (unlike the govt) they have to make money, whereas the govt just prints what it wants. But anybody who thinks universal healthcare will provide everything for everybody is not being realistic. Personally, I would rather fight with an insurance company over a treatment or a bill than fight with the govt, but that's just me.

kathy
Old 08-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Seriously? Do you think that when the govt takes over you will be able to get any treatment or procedure or medication that your doctor wants you to have? Medicare doesn't do that now. (i.e. They pay for the cheap single-vision lenses after cataract surgery, not the more expensive multi-focal ones I got.) Medicaid/MediCal doesn't do that now. They have a list of drugs that you can have. If your drug is on the list, great. If it is not, oh, well ...

I know insurance companies don't pay for everything either, because (unlike the govt) they have to make money, whereas the govt just prints what it wants. But anybody who thinks universal healthcare will provide everything for everybody is not being realistic. Personally, I would rather fight with an insurance company over a treatment or a bill than fight with the govt, but that's just me.

kathy
I don't think, I know.Medicare is simply the government acting as a insurance company that pays for profit healthcare providers to provide healthcare. That system is doomed eventual for the reasons you mentioned and more.

In a single payer system, if modeled after the VA (which I think it should be) the for profit is removed, completely (currently the VA system is experiencing budget cuts and some services are provided for by for profit agencies (like glasses) and my experience with those services is that they suck. However, all of the services within the VA Healthcare system are excellent. When my doctor wants something I get it, and normally the same day.

Remember the VA is motivated to cure you and keep you well so you do not cost them more than necessary. For profit is motivated to treat you as long and as expensively as possible, so the insurance companies, and you constantly have to fight. They want to keep costs down and have entire departments dedicated to finding ways to NO PAY for your treatments. You on the other hand want to do what your doctor says, and have to fight with your insurance company to spend a little of the money you hang been paying them to spend.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:34 PM

Check plans...my Medicare covers drugs and a lot more
Old 08-06-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
This is my understanding also.

The problem is not a simple one. But, other nations have shown it is possible to have universal single payer healthcare to provide basic healthcare and then to have private health care insurance for people that want it and can afford it.
The problem is much deeper than simply providing health insurance for all. An infrastructure of medical personnel, clinics and supplies needs to be available. The two-tiered system of health insurance, such as that Canada has where those who can afford private health insurance in additional to their national health insurance, creates a system of those who don't receive services in a timely manner versus those whose private insurance covers it and they get timely services. Also, of interest to me is that Lithuania can't keep enough doctors since in their financial system, doctors aren't adequately compensated for their service, and they leave the country to go to another country. Sounded like it could be similar to Medicare where services aren't adequately compensated.

Finally, my previous doctor in another State, went totally no-insurance. She had great difficulty helping her Medicaid/Medicare patients find new doctors since no doctor in this suburb community was taking this "insurance".

Clearly, I don't know the answer, but certainly hope we don't allow Congress to dictate our "health" insurance as a political carrot to win our vote.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSunshine View Post
The problem is much deeper than simply providing health insurance for all. An infrastructure of medical personnel, clinics and supplies needs to be available. The two-tiered system of health insurance, such as that Canada has where those who can afford private health insurance in additional to their national health insurance, creates a system of those who don't receive services in a timely manner versus those whose private insurance covers it and they get timely services. Also, of interest to me is that Lithuania can't keep enough doctors since in their financial system, doctors aren't adequately compensated for their service, and they leave the country to go to another country. Sounded like it could be similar to Medicare where services aren't adequately compensated.

Finally, my previous doctor in another State, went totally no-insurance. She had great difficulty helping her Medicaid/Medicare patients find new doctors since no doctor in this suburb community was taking this "insurance".

Clearly, I don't know the answer, but certainly hope we don't allow Congress to dictate our "health" insurance as a political carrot to win our vote.
I agree completely, we don’t want Congress to decide. Studies from both Harvard and MIT show Congress votes against their own constituents best interests and in favor of big money over 85% of the time.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:30 PM

Default Medicare - NO

You really don't want anything that the government runs - if possible. I am dealing with the VA - and just to see a doctor - from a medical emergency has took almost 2 months. I can't tell you how many people I had to call - how many authorizations I had to have - how many people gave me the wrong phone number & information , then even once I got my authorization - it had a doctor's name on it I have never seen. It's preposterous - and a real shame.

Tags
medicare, healthcare, company, prescription, vision