Do you really trust that mask?

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2020, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Are you wearing a mask to protect others when you can not be guaranteed to keep your distance from people? I have a feeling most people out and about who are wearing masks believe the masks are protecting them. They have no clue they are not really protected but they are protecting people around them. I also have a sinking feeling that if these same people were aware that the mask they wear is not protecting them, they would not wear a mask at all. That is the sad part.
A very simple message that far too many just do not get.

Especially the inconsiderate folks who need to announce why they will not......all the wrong reasons of course.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Not wearing a mask does not prove how tough you are, it simply proves that you couldn't care less...for anyone but yourself.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhippee View Post
People: Please toss your silly masks and gloves in the trash. This has been the most devastating over reaction in our history. Don't drink the Koolaid.
Don't plan on applying for my job with my employer. My production coworkers have been wearing masks for about 8 weeks now. Among approximaely 380 production workers -- one plant in upstate NY, one plant in central Iowa -- only 1 production employee has tested positive for COVID-19 as of 5/27/2020.

My office coworkers (myself included) will return to work in the office 2 days a week starting June 3. Each employee will work in the office 2 days a week and works from home 3 days a week. Only about 1/3 of the employees will be in the office on any workday. Each employee is assigned which days they will be in the office. No deviation is allowed from the assigned work in the office vs. work from home schedule.

Each office employee will wear a mask when they are away from their desk, upon entering the office and upon exiting the office. If an employee is working at their desk, the mask does not have to be worn.

Disposable masks are provided by my employer, or employees may wear a cloth mask brought from home.

If an employee does not want to adhere to my employer's mask policy while working in the office or in the plant, they are free to quit and join the ranks of the 36 million+ unemployed in the U.S.

I am glad my employer has this policy. And I wear a mask while shopping or anywhere I cannot maintain social distancing. But then again, I am just a stupid sheep.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 05-27-2020 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-28-2020, 05:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
People: Please toss your silly masks and gloves in the trash. This has been the most devastating over reaction in our history. Don't drink the Koolaid.
We have reached 100,000 deaths in the US. Is that milestone an over reaction?
Old 05-28-2020, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
During a golf cart ride, something occurred that prompted me to do a little research. We were passing through a section of the multi-modal path where we were alone....no one was visible in front of us and no one had passed us going the opposite direction for some time. We both detected the strong smell of aftershave. I recognized the scent because I have a friend who uses too much of it daily. We had our masks around our necks and pulled them up to cover our faces. We could still smell the aftershave for some time as we drove along.

When I got home I did some research. The particle size of the airborne perfumes is between 30 and 150 micrometers. The particle size of the COVID-19 virus is 70-90 nanometers...a nanometer is 1000 times smaller than a micrometer.

I draw two conclusions:
1. Airborne particles can hang around for a decent amount of time
2. If I can smell perfumes through my mask, I can also inhale
COVID-19 particles through it.

Note: I have never assumed that the mask is protecting me, but might be protecting others, but there are many who feel bulletproof while wearing homemade masks.
I was in a small Sprint store the other day, wearing my home made mask. I was in there about 40 minutes when I took my mask off my nose for about 15 seconds. I then was able to smell a very strong odor of some type of cleaner. I was told by the Sprint rep that the odor is sanitizer. When I put my mask back on the odor was again undetectable to me.

I make my mask out of Bounty paper towel, a 2" piece of printer paper, one tissue, rubber bands and staples. It takes me about one minute to make this mask and it is disposable. I'm quite impressed with the way it functions and fits snugly against my face. The fit is the same for my husband. This mask was designed by a physician. If you are curious, here is an instructional video of how to assemble this mask..........

2 Minute 5 Layer 3D No-Sew Paper Towel Face Mask #Masks4all - YouTube
Old 05-28-2020, 06:17 AM
Question You mask is protecting others.

If you sneeze or cough the mask is a barrier to virus spread. Your mask says I respect you in that I am attempting to place a barrier to spittle propulsion. The flip side is you respect me by wearing a mask. Very simple, I don't know what the issue is with those who don't wear masks!
Old 05-28-2020, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheweycat View Post
If you sneeze or cough the mask is a barrier to virus spread. Your mask says I respect you in that I am attempting to place a barrier to spittle propulsion. The flip side is you respect me by wearing a mask.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheweycat View Post
Very simple, I don't know what the issue is with those who don't wear masks!
I do.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:32 AM

The masks also help prevent droplets from sneezing or coughing getting onto someone else. Seatbelts aren’t 100%, but we are still required to wear them. Don’t even get me started on motorcyclists who don’t wear helmets.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Why do you care what others do, one way or the other?
Old 05-28-2020, 12:32 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Why do you care what others do, one way or the other?
People can do as they want. Just do not preach to me in public if I do as you do not want. Especially if it is LEGAL.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, smell, mask, size, particles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.