Old 05-08-2020, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Best prevention stay home

Need groceries order home delivery

We play golf with 2 groups..We all know each others habits
That may be very true but you still do not know who each of your buddies has been in contact with unless you are with them every time they step out of their homes. You just don't.

EDIT: Do you realize your post was posted 3 times?
Old 05-08-2020, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
During a golf cart ride, something occurred that prompted me to do a little research. We were passing through a section of the multi-modal path where we were alone....no one was visible in front of us and no one had passed us going the opposite direction for some time. We both detected the strong smell of aftershave. I recognized the scent because I have a friend who uses too much of it daily. We had our masks around our necks and pulled them up to cover our faces. We could still smell the aftershave for some time as we drove along.

When I got home I did some research. The particle size of the airborne perfumes is between 30 and 150 micrometers. The particle size of the COVID-19 virus is 70-90 nanometers...a nanometer is 1000 times smaller than a micrometer.

I draw two conclusions:
1. Airborne particles can hang around for a decent amount of time
2. If I can smell perfumes through my mask, I can also inhale
COVID-19 particles through it.

Note: I have never assumed that the mask is protecting me, but might be protecting others, but there are many who feel bulletproof while wearing homemade masks.

Masks are not respirators. Gas Scent molecules are smaller than water droplets molecules.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Then.....they are not listening or didn't get the memo! Do these people live in a cave? Wearing a mask has never been touted to protect the wearer. Wearing a mask protects others.
Read the numerous threads on this forum, there have been many claims made that a mask helped prevent the wearer from being infected. I remember numerous media news stories saying the same thing. I remember posts where a few posters pointed out that the mask did not prevent infection and they were ridiculed for their statements. Maybe you are the one who has been living in a cave.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
During a golf cart ride, something occurred that prompted me to do a little research. We were passing through a section of the multi-modal path where we were alone....no one was visible in front of us and no one had passed us going the opposite direction for some time. We both detected the strong smell of aftershave. I recognized the scent because I have a friend who uses too much of it daily. We had our masks around our necks and pulled them up to cover our faces. We could still smell the aftershave for some time as we drove along.

When I got home I did some research. The particle size of the airborne perfumes is between 30 and 150 micrometers. The particle size of the COVID-19 virus is 70-90 nanometers...a nanometer is 1000 times smaller than a micrometer.

I draw two conclusions:
1. Airborne particles can hang around for a decent amount of time
2. If I can smell perfumes through my mask, I can also inhale
COVID-19 particles through it.

Note: I have never assumed that the mask is protecting me, but might be protecting others, but there are many who feel bulletproof while wearing homemade masks.
The conclusions are based on faulty "research." What you're smelling isn't perfume. It's the FUMES left behind after the perfume has already been sprayed and the alcohol carrier liquid has evaporated. The particle size for fumes of perfume is less than .3 micrometers.

In addition, many men put aftershave on their necks in addition to their faces.
In addition, many masks don't cover the entire lower face all the way to the sideburns, but aftershave is typically applied all the way to the sideburns.
In addition, some men might put their masks on immediately after applying the aftershave, which means it's on their fingers when they put the mask on - and the scent is therefore transferred to the outside surface of the mask.

Summary: it's a nothingburger.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Read the numerous threads on this forum, there have been many claims made that a mask helped prevent the wearer from being infected. I remember numerous media news stories saying the same thing. I remember posts where a few posters pointed out that the mask did not prevent infection and they were ridiculed for their statements. Maybe you are the one who has been living in a cave.
I've been listening physicians who have told the American people that masks protect others and not the wearer of the mask. No, I have not been living in a cave. I've been informed by the experts that I have seen on TV news programs and the Coronvirus updates that were televised.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:53 PM

Masks are all about reducing risks not eliminating them. Same as social distancing, if you can reduce your chance of getting sick by 75% the you should do it. If you want to eliminate your risk all together your only option is to stay home.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

This is the best explanation of why to wear a mask:
Imagine a naked man coming up to you and ****ing on you, you get wet even if you are wearing pants. Now if the man wears pants and he comes up to you and ****es, he wets his own pants not yours.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

I wear a mask at work because the boss requires it. I sometimes wear a mask to other places as a matter of trying to be sensitive to the sensibilities of others. I don't wear one outside in open air (except at work, because we're required to).

It's not a matter of trusting the mask. I don't trust my black pants to keep my skin any more or less covered than my blue pants. But I wear them because I'm supposed to.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I have problems breathing through a mask also.
Bandanas reduce the likelihood of infecting others and are much easier to breath with. I even wear mine while cycling without problems and I push myself really hard when I ride. I think N95 masks are a waste. They are hard to breathe through and if someone coughs or sneezes on you it is all over your body. If you want to protect yourself from others, wear a hazmat suit, stay at home, or social distance only with people who wear masks.

And, remember, that’s what hospital masks were invented for—to protect the patient from the medical staff—not the other way around.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Imagine a naked man coming up to you and ****ing on you, you get wet even if you are wearing pants. Now if the man wears pants and he comes up to you and ****es, he wets his own pants not yours.
Oh my goodness. That is even better than the video I posted about how a mask blocks droplets. Too funny!
Old 05-10-2020, 08:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Covid-19 : LaVision imaging technique shows how masks restrict the spread of exhaled air.

Wearing mask vs not wearing mask
Apr 8, 2020

Wearing mask vs not wearing mask - YouTube
Old 05-16-2020, 07:23 PM

A couple of interesting studies have recently been reported about masks:

FIRST STUDY:
Coronavirus infections would plunge if 80 percent of people wore masks, study says | Fox News

"Universal masking at 80 [percent] adoption flattens the curve significantly more than maintaining a strict lockdown," researchers wrote in the study, which has not yet been peer-reviewed.

And

SECOND STUDY:
Men less likely to wear face masks because they see them as '''sign of weakness,''' study suggests | Fox News

“A new study suggested that men are less likely to wear face masks, despite the risk of COVID-19. According to the research, it appears that some people see wearing a face covering as a "sign of weakness." Many of the men also reported they didn’t believe they would become infected.

TWO QUESTIONS:
1) Why weren’t masks thoroughly studied before? Several Asian countries adopted mass mask-wearing long ago so why didn’t anyone study their effectiveness? The talking heads have made it seem as if we are flying-by-the-seat-of-our-pants because this virus’ transmission is so new and novel. Really? Masks haven’t changed very much and other coronaviruses had been around for a long time. SARS and MERS should have caused some expert to study the probable outcome of masks versus shutdowns long before COVID-19. Does that study (^) make anyone else angry?

2) How did our government know almost immediately that there would be an inevitable shortage of N95 and surgical masks? (That is why we were told very early that we should not buy them—to protect the limited supply) If they knew a shortage was certain, why weren’t there contingency plans and adequate stockpiles to mitigate that risk? PPE might not last forever but they probably have a pretty long shelf life. The Swamp Rats should have had PPE covered, especially after several other recent problems like SARS, MERS, Ebola, and H1N1. Why is no one ever held accountable?

Thoughts?
Old 05-19-2020, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
This is funny but very true. I have actually read that the mask wearer is protected to a small degree, depending on what type of material, but is usually a very small percentage.

The real benefit of wearing a mask is to block the droplets which carry the virus into the air. As we all have been made aware, there are people who carry the virus and shed virus but are asymptomatic. These people have no idea they can infect people around them. Wearing a mask which blocks droplets from a person's nose or mouth most certainly can prevent the spread of the virus.

I've posted this video a few times on this forum but not one person has made a comment about the demonstration. The demo is using one layer of T-shirt material. I have tried this demonstration on my own bathroom mirror and used a single layer of a Bounty paper towel. I got the same result as this video..........

How a mask blocks droplets - YouTube
Old 05-20-2020, 07:18 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

How do you protect the eyes?
Closed Thread

Tags
time, smell, mask, size, particles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.