Doctors get $$ from drug companies

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2016, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Excellent response. Also good to hear from another doctor I respect.
Putting aside GE'S pooh-poohing the value of sales reps, he does have a valid point in that patients get cured by doctors writing prescriptions. But in actuality patients get cured by taking the prescribed drug. And chances weren't that good that the patient would leave the doctor's office with the script in hand and head to the pharmacy. The rate of unfilled prescriptions was alarming. Lucky for us electronic prescriptions are now the norm. They are sent by the doctor to the pharmacy of the patient's choice, and the patient is called to to pick it up. And called again if not done in a timely manner. And when a patient has the prescription in hand there is a high likelihood of compliance.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Putting aside GE'S pooh-poohing the value of sales reps, he does have a valid point in that patients get cured by doctors writing prescriptions. But in actuality patients get cured by taking the prescribed drug. And chances weren't that good that the patient would leave the doctor's office with the script in hand and head to the pharmacy. The rate of unfilled prescriptions was alarming. Lucky for us electronic prescriptions are now the norm. They are sent by the doctor to the pharmacy of the patient's choice, and the patient is called to to pick it up. And called again if not done in a timely manner. And when a patient has the prescription in hand there is a high likelihood of compliance.
I think you may have taken my sales rep comment wrong. One of my best friends, actually almost an adopted son is a drug rep. My nephew is a drug rep. They go to week long meetings to learn everything about the drug they "sell". But make no mistake about it, they are not there to "educate", they are there to promote the use of their product. Much of their training focuses on how their drug is "better" than their competitor's, which is usually a subtle difference, so their "sales pitch" is important
They are also under very strict federal regulations---they cannot speak about any off label use of their drug, even if it is common practice. The days of taking doctors on golf trips to resorts are long over. (Actually, the late Sen. Ted Kennedy wrote the final legislation while he was skiing in the Alps courtesy of U.S. Steel for a twist of hypocrisy). They can't even give out pens anymore, which was at least useful. They do sponsor lunches and dinners as long as the focus is speaking about their drug, and have to keep precise records.
As far as compliance goes, most patients take the Rx to the pharmacy, but some refuse to fill it after they hear the cost. Others actually buy it, take it home, read the "side effects" and then not take it. We didn't notice much of a difference before and after we moved to electronic prescribing 5 years ago
Old 06-30-2016, 12:30 PM

Not just pharmaceuticals here -- devices too. (hip replacements, lenses, heart values, etc.) There are lots of doctors who have either invented or improved pharmaceuticals and implants, or they have the "right stuff" to be product champions for pharma and device companies. They get paid well for their product champion roles. The doctors who are simply "down in the trenches" with patients and pharma/device companies have lived under tight federal rules for the past 10 years. There are far fewer goodies going to doctors now.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:46 PM
Platinum member
Default not when I was a salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Ever notice while you are in the waiting room and a drug sales rep rep come in, they are ushered in on the spot while you wait?

they also bring food for all the staff?

So the drug dealers take priority over patients
I used to be a sales rep. It was a tough job and although I did ok, I didn't stay in it long. Usually we were treated poorly. I often sat for an hour only to be told dr. was too busy, but they wanted my goodies. even when we got in, we usually only had a minute or two to do our talk. Sometimes, though, the doc needed a break and welcomed the interruption.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTennismom0202 View Post
Not just pharmaceuticals here -- devices too. (hip replacements, lenses, heart values, etc.) There are lots of doctors who have either invented or improved pharmaceuticals and implants, or they have the "right stuff" to be product champions for pharma and device companies. They get paid well for their product champion roles. The doctors who are simply "down in the trenches" with patients and pharma/device companies have lived under tight federal rules for the past 10 years. There are far fewer goodies going to doctors now.
Too bad they all live on Fantasy Island
Old 06-30-2016, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I used to be a sales rep. It was a tough job and although I did ok, I didn't stay in it long. Usually we were treated poorly. I often sat for an hour only to be told dr. was too busy, but they wanted my goodies. even when we got in, we usually only had a minute or two to do our talk. Sometimes, though, the doc needed a break and welcomed the interruption.
Now that's more the norm
Closed Thread

Tags
doctors, drug, companies, device, money

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.