Doctors - not accessible

Doctors - not accessible

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-20-2019, 06:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmgb@me.com View Post
Our Son was seen by a Village Health Care Internist who detected an irregular heartbeat. Was sent to Villages Cardiologist who reviewed CT scan and confirmed a birth defective Aortic Valve and an aneurysm. Sent to Surgeon and had the valve replacement, etc and was told to see his internist and cardiologist within 1 -2 weeks following discharge. Tried to make appointments only to be told - they could not see him for approximately 8 weeks! This is NOT acceptable. Have others experienced this issue with the Villages Health Care System? Our son decided to drive to Orlando where he could receive timely health care!
The scheduling person did NOT understand the seriousness of your request. You should have called the surgeon's office and had them call the cardiologist or have been more clear and insistent. Unfortunately, schedulers are not medically trained. ANYWHERE. In fact some of them are damned dumb. AND also unfortunately some people will be as insistent about seeing the doctor sooner for a routine visit. This is where you have to get a big mouth out of your back pocket. Call the surgeon. Complain to everybody you can find. This is not acceptable.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-20-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
While being treated by a Ortho Dr at Villages Specialty Center, he would tell me to make a appt in 2 weeks. But when I went to the desk, they could never honor his order in a timely manner.
I am having the same problem with my Orthopedic doctor at the Specialty Care Center. I was operated on in mid October and have yet to see my surgeon other than my hospitalization. I am only seen by a NP in his practice. I have had issues which should be addressed by an MD but I can’t get into see him.
Too busy with new patients who will potentially bring him and the Villages health system more $$$$, maybe ?
Be very careful on which MD you choose, they aren’t all what they appear to be !! Ask lots of questions about the continuity of your post surgical care......
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2019, 03:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Nine View Post
I am having the same problem with my Orthopedic doctor at the Specialty Care Center. I was operated on in mid October and have yet to see my surgeon other than my hospitalization. I am only seen by a NP in his practice. I have had issues which should be addressed by an MD but I can’t get into see him.
Too busy with new patients who will potentially bring him and the Villages health system more $$$$, maybe ?
Be very careful on which MD you choose, they aren’t all what they appear to be !! Ask lots of questions about the continuity of your post surgical care......
Do not dismiss a nurse practicioner . He/she is trained to know if your symptoms need to be addressed by a doctor. And the M.D.? Maybe busy with other people who are sick too?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:29 AM
Platinum member

The issue I had was long waits for a follow-up appointment. I ultimately went to the Orthopedic/Sports Medicine Practice at U of Florida in Gainesville. I have had no problems getting timely appointments. Typically the PA comes in first and then the surgeon next for each visit. And they always take me on-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Nine View Post
Good Medical
Old 03-21-2019, 09:12 AM
Platinum member

Smile Good Medical

We just returned from a normal 2 year and every 3 months visit with usual 3 Doctors from Stage 3 Cancer Treatment and getting clear bills of health. The CatScan at latest visit indicated a possible problem in another area. As we sat in the last Doctors office she made an appointment for a Dr. that specialized in the questionable area. Went to that office, met with that Dr.who called in a surgeon as we sat there. Met with the Surgeon and scheduled within the next 2 week to determine what this questionable object might be. That is 5 doctor visits, (2 at last minute). This was at Mayo Clinic where we go for all medical issues. They treat you as a human being in need of help.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:20 AM

Then population is growing so fast and the medical people here are not enough to handle the increase. These medical buildings look good but what's the sense if a person in need can't get an appointment?
Old 03-21-2019, 10:55 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Do not dismiss a nurse practicioner . He/she is trained to know if your symptoms need to be addressed by a doctor. And the M.D.? Maybe busy with other people who are sick too?
Nothing against NP or PA’s ...... However,
I think it’s appalling that a patient does not see his surgeon at least once after a major operation.
Had I known this beforehand I would certainly have gone in a different direction.
In addition, I don’t think Orthopedic docs are actually seeing “sick” people. They are usually seeing patients with joint issues, back problems, broken bones etc.
I certainly wasn’t sick when I first went to him nor am I sick now.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The scheduling person did NOT understand the seriousness of your request ... or have been more clear and insistent.
I agree, you really need to be insistent. I was supposed to see my doc after a stay in the hospital in the next week or two. When I called to make the appointment the scheduler said that I already had an appointment in 3 weeks and that would be good enough.

In the end my doc saw that I had been in the hospital and when my hospital followup appointment didn't show up right away he had the scheduler call me and set up an appointment for two days later.

So I should have been more insistent and had the scheduler check with the doc's office to see if the 3 week appointment was soon enough.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:40 AM
Sage

Chiming in here! We're a part of TVH and my other half had a stroke a few years ago. Our primary called a cardiology (this was a bit before the specialty clinic) practice and got in later that day..or maybe it was the next day. When a dr. refers it can be done more expediously than if a patient calls to get in. I wouldn't denigrate a practice like this. Far too many people are negative over experiences that may not mirror what others have had success with.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Chiming in here! We're a part of TVH and my other half had a stroke a few years ago. Our primary called a cardiology (this was a bit before the specialty clinic) practice and got in later that day..or maybe it was the next day. When a dr. refers it can be done more expediously than if a patient calls to get in. I wouldn't denigrate a practice like this. Far too many people are negative over experiences that may not mirror what others have had success with.
Agree. Besides, this story can be heard in any city. If you are a new patient, you are not going to get in right away. TVH is no different than thousands of other health care systems.

Tags
health, care, villages, told, cardiologist