Doctors - not accessible

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to the square

Then population is growing so fast and the medical people here are not enough to handle the increase. These medical buildings look good but what's the sense if a person in need can't get an appointment?
Old 03-21-2019, 10:55 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Do not dismiss a nurse practicioner . He/she is trained to know if your symptoms need to be addressed by a doctor. And the M.D.? Maybe busy with other people who are sick too?
Nothing against NP or PA’s ...... However,
I think it’s appalling that a patient does not see his surgeon at least once after a major operation.
Had I known this beforehand I would certainly have gone in a different direction.
In addition, I don’t think Orthopedic docs are actually seeing “sick” people. They are usually seeing patients with joint issues, back problems, broken bones etc.
I certainly wasn’t sick when I first went to him nor am I sick now.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The scheduling person did NOT understand the seriousness of your request ... or have been more clear and insistent.
I agree, you really need to be insistent. I was supposed to see my doc after a stay in the hospital in the next week or two. When I called to make the appointment the scheduler said that I already had an appointment in 3 weeks and that would be good enough.

In the end my doc saw that I had been in the hospital and when my hospital followup appointment didn't show up right away he had the scheduler call me and set up an appointment for two days later.

So I should have been more insistent and had the scheduler check with the doc's office to see if the 3 week appointment was soon enough.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:40 AM
Sage

Chiming in here! We're a part of TVH and my other half had a stroke a few years ago. Our primary called a cardiology (this was a bit before the specialty clinic) practice and got in later that day..or maybe it was the next day. When a dr. refers it can be done more expediously than if a patient calls to get in. I wouldn't denigrate a practice like this. Far too many people are negative over experiences that may not mirror what others have had success with.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Chiming in here! We're a part of TVH and my other half had a stroke a few years ago. Our primary called a cardiology (this was a bit before the specialty clinic) practice and got in later that day..or maybe it was the next day. When a dr. refers it can be done more expediously than if a patient calls to get in. I wouldn't denigrate a practice like this. Far too many people are negative over experiences that may not mirror what others have had success with.
Agree. Besides, this story can be heard in any city. If you are a new patient, you are not going to get in right away. TVH is no different than thousands of other health care systems.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:42 AM

I believe part of the problem with understanding appointments is that we don't want to see anyone other than our own doctor. It's just planted in our heads and we won't let go. Now, personally, in my opinion, I haven't found other doctors or PA that I am disappointed with. They are all very professional and timely and the best thing is I didn't have to wait.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:53 AM
Sage

Chiming in again...it was me as the patient! I had surgery in 2011, before TVH was a reality and my surgeon arranged for the scheduler to call and make a follow-up, post-op appt's two weeks following. THEN in 2018 I had a serious surgery and again the surgeon (it was a different one) had her scheduler call me to arrange the follow-up, again two weeks post-op. We "are" a part of TVH system here but the specialty folks---anyone can see them. I would think it unusual for folks NOT to be seen post-op for a follow up. IF you're trying to see a different dr., then it's possible that you won't be seen as soon as you'd like. Clear communication should be made. IF not then have your primary or another health-care professional step in to make it happen.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We just returned from a normal 2 year and every 3 months visit with usual 3 Doctors from Stage 3 Cancer Treatment and getting clear bills of health. The CatScan at latest visit indicated a possible problem in another area. As we sat in the last Doctors office she made an appointment for a Dr. that specialized in the questionable area. Went to that office, met with that Dr.who called in a surgeon as we sat there. Met with the Surgeon and scheduled within the next 2 week to determine what this questionable object might be. That is 5 doctor visits, (2 at last minute). This was at Mayo Clinic where we go for all medical issues. They treat you as a human being in need of help.
A hospital vs private practice. In private practice in the end the goal is to make money. In a hospital such as Mayo Clinic the goal is to provide medical care. Sadly, often the result is different.
Also, sadly your main contact with a doctor is the person on the phone. Actually, here in Florida they are better, more human than the drill Sargents I had to deal with in NY but the fact is you are forced to discuss medical issues with someone with zero training and with calls coming in one after the other.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Nine View Post
I am having the same problem with my Orthopedic doctor at the Specialty Care Center. I was operated on in mid October and have yet to see my surgeon other than my hospitalization. I am only seen by a NP in his practice. I have had issues which should be addressed by an MD but I can’t get into see him.
Too busy with new patients who will potentially bring him and the Villages health system more $$$$, maybe ?
Be very careful on which MD you choose, they aren’t all what they appear to be !! Ask lots of questions about the continuity of your post surgical care......
Interesting....I have always seen my Orthopedic doctor at the Specialty Care Center, before the surgery, in my room at the hospital and two follow up visits. Guess it depends on who you chose as a surgeon and the due diligence done.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmgb@me.com View Post
Our Son was seen by a Village Health Care Internist who detected an irregular heartbeat. Was sent to Villages Cardiologist who reviewed CT scan and confirmed a birth defective Aortic Valve and an aneurysm. Sent to Surgeon and had the valve replacement, etc and was told to see his internist and cardiologist within 1 -2 weeks following discharge. Tried to make appointments only to be told - they could not see him for approximately 8 weeks! This is NOT acceptable. Have others experienced this issue with the Villages Health Care System? Our son decided to drive to Orlando where he could receive timely health care!
Not acceptable - Post Op visits are same a emergency visits - need to fit you in
Old 06-26-2019, 08:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Refer

Have Dr.refer him to Mayo Clinic and drive the 2 1/2 hours and get the best treatment. Why settle for less because of a drive. Our health is worth the best.
Closed Thread

Tags
health, care, villages, told, cardiologist

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.