Doctors require your social security number?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2021, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Actually there is a federal mandate to make sure all SS numbers are removed from Medicare cards. That being said there's also a federal law and you cannot ask for an SS number ! So next time they ask you for that simply refuse or don't put anything in and mention that they can get sued for asking. What they can however ask for is to take a picture of your face and or see your license to verify you are who you say you are as many people that are illegal use someone else's Medicare card to get free treatment. In the old days the SS number was used to verify who you were
Re: social security number.
I'm sure the criminals know. It likely was your student ID number. I find it spooky how easy it is to find information on anyone. My sister was all bent out of shape about something called SPOKEO. The information on me said I am over 150 and have more money than Buffet. Recently, it has gotten closer to the truth. It also says I am related to only one listed is my Aunt. I can only guess she looked me up and either she or the company updated my files. Amusing, she is quite elderly, she does not know my birthday and put in the wrong date.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

It could be that doctors collect SSNs because it is helpful to their collection agencies when overdue bllls go that route. Otherwise, I don't see how the SSN would be of much use to the doctor's office. Obviously, if the patient and the insurance company pay the bill, the only thing needed is the money.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:25 AM

With the right search.....your SSN can be found. Almost a guarantee. Does anyone really believe that government, hospital, bank, data bases are safe or haven't been compromised already?
Old 02-05-2021, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
What bothers me is the lie saying Florida law requires you give your ss#. Show me the Fl. statute.
Or misinformed
Old 02-05-2021, 09:36 AM
Gold member

147.9 million US consumers were affected in the 2017 Equifax breach.
names, home addresses, phone numbers, dates of birth, social security numbers, and driver's license numbers
Sad that a credit reporting agency was hacked.
Freeze your credit at Equifax, Experian, Transunion.
Google it to see if your account was affected.
was my equifax account hacked - Google Search
Old 02-05-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
My wife was told by a doctor's staff that Florida law requires her to give them her social security number. I think this is bogus, although, I think the doctor can refuse the appointment.
FALSE!!! Your SS# is not required and should never be given to anyone at any medical facility. If they say that it is required you can either leave and find a more reputable doctor or turn them in to the authorities for trying to steal your identity. IT IS NOT FLORIDA LAW AND SHOULD NEVER BE GIVEN OUT.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
There is nothing bogus about it, that’s how they have proof they are treating the actual patient, whom the insurance is for...they also keep your medical information via your SS# . You can thank all the previous insurance fraud cases for that...
Untrue. Doctors are not authorized to ask the Social Security department to identify one of their patients. The ONLY use (at this point in time) that a doctor would have for your social security number is to commit fraud.

For whoever has their SS# as their identification number on an insurance plan - call that insurance plan and have them issue a new number. Or get a different insurance plan. There is ZERO reason for your SS# to be used to identify you anymore.

SS# are used for financial institutions and employers for tax purposes only. Your bank needs it, a mortgage policy would need it, a company you invest in the market with needs it, your employer needs it.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Fake social security cars are easily obtainable so providing an SSAN is no guarantee of identity.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:03 AM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

Just give the last four, no need for any other digits
Old 02-05-2021, 10:08 AM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

Just give the last four, no need for any other digits if you are seeing a pain doctor, think they use it to flag abusers.
Other doctors have no need for it.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:25 AM
Default social security number

Quote:
My wife was told by a doctor's staff that Florida law requires her to give them her social security number. I think this is bogus, although, I think the doctor can refuse the appointment.
Doctors will normally ask for your Medicare card, drivers license and insurance card. The MBI number has replaced social security numbers. I would call your insurance company if the doctors office insists. You can give them the last 4 numbers.
Medicare insurance agent.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:39 AM

They get it anyway from your health insurance. I leave line blank and never had problem.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:41 AM

Never give out your social security number
Old 02-05-2021, 10:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Don’t know why they would need to your S.S. #, that’s pretty personal & that could give them some very personal in & & out information of your personal things that they don’t need to know. When we got our Covid shots we just had to sign a form saying you gave them permission to give you a shot, name, address & phone #. I’ve heard of one case that they asked for S.S. # & this person ( a lady) just put 000-00-0000 & she still got the shot no questions asked. So if you want the shot let your conscience tell you what to do!
Old 02-05-2021, 03:27 PM

Medicare pays for the shot and testing.
Closed Thread

Tags
doctors, number, security, social, doctor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.