Does this seem right? Trying new dentist

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yucatan2 View Post
Had my last teeth cleaning last December, after years of just normal cleanings it was recommended I see a periodontist. This dental office in Fruitland Park has a nice dentist and staff, but maybe not the advanced cleaning apparatus such as the ultrasonic unit. Anyway, because of not yet having my Covid vaccination, I put this off. Got vaccinated in April, then went on a 3 month camping trip.

Upon return, in late July I made an appointment at Dental on Fennell, because as a new modern office they seemed to have the latest equipment. Could not get in until Oct 12 for an initial appointment and cleaning.

I was there at least 1.5 hours getting panorama, multiple small xrays, some fancy camera views of every tooth. Finally the probing for gum depth. I heard mostly level 2,3 and a few 5’s in the molar areas. Dentist comes in, tells me my teeth are grinding and we could use Invisaline to correct them (big money), there are two small fillings he could fix, one on a far back molar that’s been there since the 1980’s. And of course, I need the deep cleaning and scaling to the tune of $1000, which my insurance doesn’t cover.

The straight answer. You want a cleaning
So, I end up leaving the office with NO cleaning, they will check again with insurance, as will I.

But it seems like I am being held hostage…..no teeth cleaning unless it is the deep cleaning first. I was not happy to say the least. Anyone know a dentist that will just do a cleaning, or is the insurance going to require the deep cleaning now that this dentist has recommended it?

Stand up and look at the numb nut and say. I came here for a cleaning.
Not your over embellishment for your own gains.

Sorry you are not the only Dentist and I am sure you will be blogged regularly as a poor choice for dental work.

As for cleaning, floss then brush and then brush with scope. If you are one of the folks that produces high amounts of plaque that is another whole story and you need to get blood work first. Plaque on your teeth is the same as it is in your blood.
If you have gum disease, you will not get a cleaning as the Dentist will not incur the risk of a patient having a stroke after a cleaning.
Basically, you are at a higher risk of stroke or severe heart attack.

The back story, most people are deathly afraid of the dentist, why? neglect which then leads to thousands.

Quote of the day....
"Ignore your teeth and they WILL GO AWAY"
Old 10-14-2021, 06:41 AM

Corporate SCAM dentist. Pay them what you owe them. DROP Them. Go to Tooth Acres Mt Dora. They will not scam you. 110 Waterman Ave, Mt Dora, FL 32757
Old 10-14-2021, 06:43 AM
Default Dentist

Try Heritage Dental in Lady Lake. If you Google them you will be amazed at how many 5 star ratings they have.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
uipment.

But it seems like I am being held hostage…..no teeth cleaning unless it is the deep cleaning first. I was not happy to say the least. Anyone know a dentist that will just do a cleaning, or is the insurance going to require the deep cleaning now that this dentist has recommended it?
Been there done that with a dentist in Ocala. Seems many want to deep clean. They got me once ( shame on me)! Now when I head north I see my dentist there NO deep cleaning. Many dentists here are robbers "they hold you up without a gun."
Old 10-14-2021, 06:47 AM

Any time a hygienist say you have this or that and they make a plan to fix it, match out. I was told by a dentist is a plaza near Sparr and they are required by law to x-ray once a year. They threw on all kinds of stuff in the plan including fluoride treatment (I’m 75) and a water pick.
Turned down fluoride and water pick. Bought one from Wally World for little money and love it. Well worth the money. You would believe what comes out even after brushing.
I use Dr. Eddie Orebitg in Leesberg. Mary Lou is receptionist and is great. Staff consciencious. This office like my dentist back in NH. He also makes his own crowns while you wait. And his has some other new equipment to do something in house. Both old and new dentist made me crowns. Reasonable and within 2hours easy.
Get away from villages for services if you can. We get talked into all kinds of stuff and are usually too polite to say no.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

You need a deep cleaning if your gums are bleeding badly and have a Lot of tartar. Teethtalkgirl will have the information you need on YouTube to make a informed decision

Teeth Talk Girl - YouTube
Old 10-14-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerism View Post
Stand up and look at the numb nut and say. I came here for a cleaning.
Not your over embellishment for your own gains.

Sorry you are not the only Dentist and I am sure you will be blogged regularly as a poor choice for dental work.

As for cleaning, floss then brush and then brush with scope. If you are one of the folks that produces high amounts of plaque that is another whole story and you need to get blood work first. Plaque on your teeth is the same as it is in your blood.
If you have gum disease, you will not get a cleaning as the Dentist will not incur the risk of a patient having a stroke after a cleaning.
Basically, you are at a higher risk of stroke or severe heart attack.

The back story, most people are deathly afraid of the dentist, why? neglect which then leads to thousands.

Quote of the day....
"Ignore your teeth and they WILL GO AWAY"
“Plaque on your teeth is the same as your blood”
I’ve been in practice for 38 years and I never heard that one! How long have you been in practice? Also, a prophylactic pre-med usually amoxicillin is given to prevent heart attack or stroke in certain patients. That way you don’t get sued for not cleaning the patient’s teeth especially patients with gum disease.

Last edited by Driller703; 10-14-2021 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Incomplete response.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:12 AM

Hometown Dentistry @ Laurel Manor. Dr. Barnett. A real pro, and they will not upsell you.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:17 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,074 Times in 431 Posts

I had the exact same experience at a dental facility near Brownwood. Big upsell attempt. My dentist back in Missouri, who I had gone to for years, never suggested a deep cleaning. Hey...just because the dentist has a boat payment due doesn't mean I need all of your fancy "services!" I went for a second opinion, and wound up at Marion Dental. They did a thorough exam and cleaning, with no upsell attempts. They were fair and honest, and will now be my regular dentist here. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Had my last teeth cleaning last December, after years of just normal cleanings it was recommended I see a periodontist. This dental office in Fruitland Park has a nice dentist and staff, but maybe not the advanced cleaning apparatus such as the ultrasonic unit. Anyway, because of not yet having my Covid vaccination, I put this off. Got vaccinated in April, then went on a 3 month camping trip.

Upon return, in late July I made an appointment at Dental on Fennell, because as a new modern office they seemed to have the latest equipment. Could not get in until Oct 12 for an initial appointment and cleaning.

I was there at least 1.5 hours getting panorama, multiple small xrays, some fancy camera views of every tooth. Finally the probing for gum depth. I heard mostly level 2,3 and a few 5’s in the molar areas. Dentist comes in, tells me my teeth are grinding and we could use Invisaline to correct them (big money), there are two small fillings he could fix, one on a far back molar that’s been there since the 1980’s. And of course, I need the deep cleaning and scaling to the tune of $1000, which my insurance doesn’t cover.

So, I end up leaving the office with NO cleaning, they will check again with insurance, as will I.

My philosophy is this with dentists. If it not hurting, leave it alone. Learned this by going to a dentist who said I had an old filling that needed to be replaced. I said OK. A filling, a crown, a root canal, and $3000 later for a tooth that was not giving me any problems at all. If I were you I would look for a dentist well outside The Villages.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:48 AM

Mine did the same thing. It is a new racket. They won’t lean your teeth and it almost forced you to pay for the”deep” cleaning.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:49 AM

Thank you all so much for the valuable advice and suggestions. A closer look at my proposed plan shows a charge of $46 9 times for locally applied antibiotic. $133 per quad for perio scale/ root plane. Plan to do in two sessions.

This office is located near Total Wine on 466.
Will be calling my insurance soon, may be changing plans for 2022 to get one that covers more than basic, which is what I currently have.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:13 AM

If you need a Dentist, call Dr. Kevin Wallace: (352) 259-0822. We have been using him for more than 10 years. He and his Staff are excellent. He is very professional and very patient and caring. The practice is called: Marion Dental Group. Dr. Wallace has an Emergency telephone number. I have had a couple of emergencies over the past 10 years. I was seen the next morning. Dr. Wallace is also a Prosthodontist. A prosthodontist is a dentist who specializes in treating complex dental and facial matters, including the restoration and replacement of missing or damaged teeth with artificial devices. They are highly trained in dental implants, crowns, bridges, dentures, jaw disorders, and more.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:16 AM

Where do you go? Would like to try them.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,047 Times in 2,738 Posts

[QUOTE=Yucatan2;2017100] Anyway, because of not yet having my Covid vaccination, I put this off. Got vaccinated in April, then went on a 3 month camping trip.[/jQUOTE]

Really, and who’s fault is that?
Closed Thread

Tags
cleaning, dentist, teeth, insurance, office

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.