Neurostimulator

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Sage
Smile Neurostimulator

I'm looking for those who have had a neurostimulator inserted for back pain. Would like to talk to others before I have this done. Have had 3 back surgeries and shots and various other treatments and the doctor has recommended this for me. Please share your experience with me. Also interested in which doctor/hospital where you had this done.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:40 AM

I have had this recommended but have not done it. I was recommended to Dr. Shaffer at SIMED in Ocala. After much research I decided it was not for me. A temporary stimulator is inserted for 3 days to a week. It is effective for 50-80% of people with back pain. If it is effective, the insert a controlled much like a pacemaker. After 2 years it only continued to relieve pain for 50 to 80%. You cannot have an MRI with this in. I have had 2 back surgeries and have bone on bone in L5-S1. I feel that if I did not feel pain that I might do something that would really damage the nerve and not know it until I was paralyzed.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:31 PM
Dancing Thyme

Tom makes a good point about hurting your back more if you didn't feel the pain. Not sure about that but I notice that when my back doesn't hurt, I dance wayyy tooooo much and the next day I'm crippled.

About the simulator, my ex-husband just had it inserted permanently in his back (lower) by Dr. Oliver at Ocala Neurosurgical Center and it was done at Ocala Reg Med Center. The unit is the St. Jude simulator and he's just starting the treatment process so we don't have any final results if it works or not. The temporary unit he had implanted for about a week worked quite a bit so we're hoping the final unit will be very successful. Remains to be seen yet. At least there is hope. I doubt that he'll be able to do any additional damage because his current pain is so disabling, if he gets 50-60% relief, he'll be happy just to be able to walk around again.

A friend has it inserted for a few months now and he's very happy with his results. The surgeon was the same and the unit was the same as what my ex has.

Good luck, nothing worse than back pain.

If you want any additional information, PM me.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-18-2015, 02:42 PM

It is strange that Dr. Oliver referred me to Dr. Shaffer. Might be an insurance thing.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:36 PM

I had one and had to have it removed because I was in a golf cart accident and when I was hit the stimulator moved over my spinal cord causing me an extreme amount of pain. Be careful. They can cause more problems than you already have. It did help to eleiviate my pain for about 4-5 years.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:08 PM

Ask the physican how much more scar tissue you will have in addition to the scar tissue you already have from 3 back surgeries (also causes pain symptoms if compressing on a nerve) ...unfortunately, the BEST way to see what's going on in the spine is with an MRI and a neurostimulator seriously compromises the ability to see the spine.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOB View Post
I have had this recommended but have not done it. I was recommended to Dr. Shaffer at SIMED in Ocala. After much research I decided it was not for me. A temporary stimulator is inserted for 3 days to a week. It is effective for 50-80% of people with back pain. If it is effective, the insert a controlled much like a pacemaker. After 2 years it only continued to relieve pain for 50 to 80%. You cannot have an MRI with this in. I have had 2 back surgeries and have bone on bone in L5-S1. I feel that if I did not feel pain that I might do something that would really damage the nerve and not know it until I was paralyzed.
If I could get even 50% pain relief I would be thrilled. For me there is no other solution. I have damaged nerve pain and no surgical solution. I would agree that a person would need to be careful not to do too much.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:40 PM

My husband had the unit from St Jude inserted three years ago by Dr Oliver also. They had to remove it and reinsert it after a few months as it was giving no relief. The people at St Jude don't have the patience to work with you to adjust the unit. He turned it off over 2 years ago and plans to have it removed, but he has to get permission from St Jude first! He is considering a pain pump, but that requires another operation which will be his 7th.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.