Dreadful ER experience last night

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMooreRN View Post
I am hoping the triage nurse maybe bumped you ahead-based on high bp and then anxiety about waiting (which can certainly elevate the bp). Sorry about BP being so high and glad you well now :-)
Thanks Tracy! It is back to my normal range of 120's over 70's...
Old 02-11-2014, 12:31 PM

I had the same waiting issue on Sunday night after the super bowl game. After waiting 2 hours, I took my wife to Munroe regional in Ocala. We got right in and were taken care of right away. I'm really surprised with the Villages hospital. I will be looking into this problem to see what to do in the future.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

Looking into the problem? The national average (I believe) is 4-6 hour wait. Two hours waiting in the hospital ER is realistic. I am so happy Monroe was able to assist. Would have been not so great experience if you were able to drive to Ocala and not get right in...besides if it was an emergency that needs an ER visit to start with--by passing a hospital or leaving one to go to another could be life threatening.

Some people just amaze me--the hospital is not a drive thru service--expect to wait, expect to get complete medical care. If you choose to drive farther to get to another hospital that is up to you--however call EMS in a true emergency--YOU WILL be taken to TVRH if you are not stable.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMooreRN View Post
Looking into the problem? The national average (I believe) is 4-6 hour wait. Two hours waiting in the hospital ER is realistic. I am so happy Monroe was able to assist. Would have been not so great experience if you were able to drive to Ocala and not get right in...besides if it was an emergency that needs an ER visit to start with--by passing a hospital or leaving one to go to another could be life threatening.

Some people just amaze me--the hospital is not a drive thru service--expect to wait, expect to get complete medical care. If you choose to drive farther to get to another hospital that is up to you--however call EMS in a true emergency--YOU WILL be taken to TVRH if you are not stable.

Tracey is absolutely right.

Because of the enormous upsurge of population right now and many people here who do not have their PCP here, illness escalates and becomes painful and unbearable, but not always life threatening. It must be hard to tell someone who is feeling awful that someone is sicker.

I remember from years past in huge and very esteemed Cincinnati hospitals having to wait with family members, a lONG TIME..unless it was a breathing, excessive bleeding or heart related incident. (I can't think of all the criteria that the Triage nurse uses to place people in line) I mean hours....

If someone could find the post on the plans for the new emergency facility at the Villages Hospital, that would help people understand that this is being worked on. Hopefully improved. But triage will always be the criteria for treatment in an emergency room or an emergency situation.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

18 beds are expected to be added to TVRH ER-- Not sure how many beds overall for patients that are admitted including ICU. However- it is not just an ER busy--it is when the hospital is full the ER can't move--they have to go on diversion. Nurses can't take 5 patients in the ER and expect to handle more than that--even if they did have a small space to put an extra stretcher.

If ICU is full--the ER has to keep a very critical patient and most times keep the same number of patients--even though most ICU patients ratio to nurse is One nurse for two patients. Take into count-if someone is on a medical or cardiac floor and needs to be upgraded to ICU--they get the bed before the ER. Once patients are admitted to the hospital and move out of the ER, they do not return to the ER.

Currently it is a 24 bed facility (shall I say 24 rooms out of the hall). They also can have 8 hallway beds (I have seen people in the hall beds myself). Two triage rooms and they have a rapid admit area (people who don't need to be at the hospital see a Physician Assistant and discharged without going to a room in the back). Rapid runs I think 10am-10pm. Rapid is NOT an urgent care.

Only emergencies should go to the ER--it is not a clinic, urgent care or pediatrician checkup. They do not have Labor and Delivery and they do not have pediatrics. So- if someone comes in with a child under 18 if they are admitted they will be sent out--same with a person in labor (they will be shipped out very quick).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.