ECT vs Ketamine

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Default ECT vs Ketamine

I have a 71 year old brother who has SUFFERED for 60 years with depression. Of late, this is major depression with suicidal iedations. He has been treated consistently by MD, Psych, Ph.D., etc. He is on medications that have failed to work.
There is no greater pain for me than to be so helpless in my ability to help.
James is now at the "last ditch effort" as he puts it. He is considering a 6 to 8 week course of twice weekly ECT- Electro Convulsive Therapy, AKA Shock Treatments.
The benefits are many. The most terrifying thought though is the COMPLETE LOSS of memory; ie, not recognizing family, not recalling his nursing experience and all associated knowledge. The list goes on. There is a definite possibility that this could happen. The other treatment is Ketamine IV infusions. The mechanism of this is not completely understood however, it impacts the frontal cortex of the brain and is temporary if positive in any way. His condition warrants ECT but his heart and mind are terrified.
I cannot imagine being face to face with this, personally.
Does anyone have personal or intimate knowledge of family or friend who suffered from major depression and had treatments? If so, what was/is the outcome? I would gladly take his place as he deserves to feel unencumbered from the weight and treachery of this bombastic disease.
I appreciate your help and input.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:14 PM

I do know somebody personally that had ECT. I do not know for sure if that is what contributed to their final success. There were a lot of other factors including intensive treatment and a lot of support. This was also 20 years ago. The memory loss was only for the actual days surrounding treatment. They have no memory issues now that couldn't be chalked up to just getting older.
I can't answer about ketamine I don't know anything about it.

I do wish you lots of luck and hope you can get some of the answers you're looking for. Depression is a horrible disease.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcruiser View Post
I do know somebody personally that had ECT. I do not know for sure if that is what contributed to their final success. There were a lot of other factors including intensive treatment and a lot of support. This was also 20 years ago. The memory loss was only for the actual days surrounding treatment. They have no memory issues now that couldn't be chalked up to just getting older.
I can't answer about ketamine I don't know anything about it.

I do wish you lots of luck and hope you can get some of the answers you're looking for. Depression is a horrible disease.

I have a family member who had ECTs. Also many years ago, and the memory loss he had was related to short term memory, not long term.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Gold member

Sister of a friend had ECT about 15 yrs ago after bad divorce. Lives a normal life now. Priorities have changed for the better. Jokes about the missing years long ago.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Platinum member

I worked in a psych unit and ECT was done fairly regularly. It is not as depicted in the movies. We had patients that would have to come back for repeat procedures. It is used a lot more than people realize. It is a very effective treatment and I never heard of anyone losing all their memory. I guess that's a possibility but I never heard of it happening. If I needed one of the two treatments, I'd take the ECT since I've seen it work. I would ask what is the percentage of patients that experience total memory loss...I would guess it's low, though I understand even a minor chance is frightening. Still, it sounds like the degree of depression warrants the slight risk.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:34 AM

Thanks for your response. ECT is much more advanced BUT there are those who lose intimate memory forever. James has been ill since childhood after a severe brain infection. He is so exhausted that he is giving in to this terrifying treatment. I feel less so inclined to go to terror but I am not the patient either. I just know that the existence he has is no life. James is strong yet defeated after 60+ years of faking joy, interest, etc. He is my hero.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:27 PM

Thank you for your response in particular. Learning of your experiences is soothing.I suppose the ruminating for days on end is what exacerbates all of his symptoms. No sleep and FOREVER THINKING about how bad he is doesn't help. James is an ER nurse for 30 years as well as a now retired flight attendant. He, as do most, deserves mental peace and quiet. I am anxious for him. The waiting game is deadly. Hopefully he will begin his first of possibly 12 treatments next week. Again, thank you for your valuable input. All the best.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:28 PM

thank you so much.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:38 PM
Platinum member

My prayers for you, your brother and the whole family.

Tags
depression, treatments, face, knowledge, family

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.