The efudex treatment

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Founder
Default The efudex treatment

My dermatologist wants me to go on a two week Efudex treatment on my forehead and cheeks starting the first of the year. He says I won't like it. I looked it up on the internet and could only find horror stories from people who use the words "unbearable, horrific, dreaded, ghastly" and so on. The internet reports all talked about six weeks.

I actually went to a second dermatologist for a second opinion and he said that it didn't seem to him like I should need it, but he said, "It won't be that bad." He said I should stop in 14 days and that is shouldn't be worse than a bad sunburn. He said that all the reports of open wounds and bleeding and all that other stuff is because people use it too long. He said to stop at the first sign of open wounds. Both dems said two weeks is the right amount of time.

The second guy said to use it only once a day, while my primary guy said to use it twice a day. It second guy said "twice is too much." They both said that afterward my skin will be beautiful.

Anybody here got any comments on the treatment?

For those who don't know, Efudex is a cream that peels away the sun damage, thus preventing the development of precancer lesions.

JLK
Old 12-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Eternal Member

It is a real bitch of a time!!! Especially after you get through the twice a day applications of the cream. There is no way to sugar coat this. Besides the skin blisters and eruptions, the itch will drive you crazy!!! I found that poli-sporum made the itch bearable.

I am going to another dermatologist and he is using what they call the 'blue light special' or in technical terms Levulan PDT. They put a salve on you and put you under a special blue light for 17-20 minutes. Then you have to stay out of any sunlight for up to 48 hours. According to the dermatologist it does the same thing without the two week pretreatment and there is less skin eruptions.

After all of my skin surgeries are done, I am supposed to give that a try.

Ask about the Levulan PDT as an alternative.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Platinum member

I have used Effudex two times over many years. For me, it was uncomfortable, but never painful, unless you had to look at me. It only scabs on the pre-cancerous spots. (Which was pretty much my entire face the first time.)

I also had Blue Light last summer. It caused me no trouble, but, in my opinion, effudex was more effective. Again, for me.

With Effudex, I did not leave the house for two weeks after I stopped using it. With Blue Light, I never had to stay home, just wore a large hat for a couple of days.

I did have a smooth complexion after effudex.

Last edited by starflyte1; 12-22-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:33 AM

Having used Effudex a number of times ... including a full face treatment ... it is not fun; however, it is very effective and ... 'you will survive.' If you are very apprehensive, you might do an experiment with maybe just one small spot on your face (or the back of your hand) ... just the size of a finger tip. That would give you a good feel for the dynamics of the process. There is really no 'softer' alternative and if the skin is damaged it has the potential to develop into something serious which might require even more aggressive or 'uncomfortable' procedures.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:34 AM

It only attacks the precancerous skin, so if you don't have any sun damage, it won't hurt at all or make any red spots. If you use it twice a day and get a lot of pain, go back to once a day or skip a day. Be sure to protect yourself from sun while you are using it. Mid-winter is the best time to do it since the sun is least intense now, and it's easier to stay covered when it's cool. I had a huge amount of sun damage and was pretty much a mess for several weeks, but was glad I did it. Husband is a doctor and gave me the instructions.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default To me the important issue was what will the treated area be

like in 5 years? For me with effudex it was almost back to the same condition (face/head) with many pre cancer lesions and having to get the worst ones frozen during my annual check ups.

There is a newer med,Carac. Not as much work with about the same result short term and 5 years out. As a result, I elected to not do the blue light.

Ten years ago I had two spots of skin cancer on my forehead. One basil cell and one squamas. Had MOHS surgery to remove both. 100% successful....no recurrence.

My sun regimen is always wear a large brim hat, no ball caps. After every shower I use Gold Bond healing skin cream on the forehead and head (not much hair to get in the way). And I use Neutragena skin balm pre shave and after shave for my face. The long term effect of using the Gold Bond is with better results than the 5 year out results with effudex and carac.

I do continue to have an annual check up. And I do have them freeze off any lesions that warrant it.

NO SUNTAN!!!!

btk
Old 12-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Default Efudex- Fluorouracil

This treatment is used to treat actinic keratosis. This is a skin condition related to pre-cancerous skin cells most likely caused by overexposure to sun; often in childhood. I just finished a course of treatment on my cheek. Over the 2 week application the area turned red, got very dry and felt like a sunburn. During the subsequent two weeks the area reacted much like a sunburn and got itchy and peeled. It looked much worse than it felt. After 2 weeks, the area is now pretty much back to normal. As stated previously, the fluorouracil only attacks the affected cells so if you apply to broadly it won't matter. I found application with a q-tip to work quite well. I have a friend who was treating an area on his forehead and he had a more severe reaction but still not much worse than a really bad sunburn- itching, dry, a bit of cracking of the skin and peeling. All in all, I did not find the experience particularly bad. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Good idea to go to your dermatologist once a year, particularly at "our" age.

And your regular doctor too.

I am sayin' this cause I love you.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:48 AM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Good idea to go to your dermatologist once a year, particularly at "our" age.

And your regular doctor too.

I am sayin' this cause I love you.
Gracie, we love you also
Old 12-23-2010, 07:57 AM

We have both used it and although it can be painful and ugly for three weeks, it does attack the bad parts if the skin. One student asked my husband if a car dragged him down the street while he was on duty. He is much prettier now with baby smooth skin.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.