End of Life Options

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2019, 10:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

To directly answer the OP question Google suicide bag.

Dr K. used something similar

Last edited by Toymeister; 12-07-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:36 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
In 2008 thru 2010 my mother lived with us in Maryland and we had woman doctor who came every month making house calls paid by Medicare and Blue Cross. Her alzheimers became a real problem and by 2010 she had fallen and broke her hip and after returning home from a few weeks in a rehab facility, she was a zombie, she never regained consciousness and I don't know what they did to her.

The house doctor came and ordered hospice in the home. They brought a hospital bed to her bedroom and we broke down the regular bed and set it aside. After a couple of days the doctor came by and told me she gave her some morphine. 9:00 that night she was dead.

Six years earlier my dad had lung cancer in 2003 and they gave him about a year to live. 22 months later he was still doing fairly well but he decided to go to the hospital, he didn't feel good that day. The doctor told him he had 2 to 4 months to live and after a couple of days they put him in a hospice. I was visiting on a Wednesday, he was sitting up, talking, doing good, and when I came back on Saturday he was knocked out. They said they gave him morphine. That night he died.

Lesson to learn. Once you go to a hospice it won't be long, especially when they give you the morphine.
As a burn patient 22% (face to waist), who had a steady routine of morphine with codeine chaser for weeks it seemed a decent way to go. John W, your relatives died without pain.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

The Hemlock Society used to provide help in creating an at home brew for an eased exit. But the Hemlock Society ceased to exist, in part merging into Compassion and Choices. Compassion & Choices Home | Compassion & Choices

They may in part offer what you seek. You also might consider contacting your local representatives, one of whom has made his business as a mortician I believe.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:03 AM
Default Medical Power of Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
First and foremost, I AM NOT SUICIDAL!!!

Now, that established, I’m in my 70’s and I do not know of any local facilities or Doctors that will assist me in a painless death should I become terminally ill. After this wonderful life I have lived already, I desperately want to have a way out of my choosing, without having hospitals, etc. sucking my bank account dry while I suffer. When it’s over, call me a coward if that makes you feel better, but I want out quick without pain and loss of my life’s savings. I want my loving wife and children to have my estate.
Question, any information would be greatly appreciated.
I also am in my 70's and I feel EXACTLY as you do. A close family member should have your medical power of attorney. If you are near death and unable to make a decision to proceed for further medical treatment, that is when a medical power of attorney is most useful. Without it, the hospital will continue treatment with any and all life saving measures. This is their duty, and it is the law. I just went through all of this with my wife who recently passed and I am so very glad I was able to help her in the final stage of her life, because she was suffering terribly. If I wasn't her medical power of attorney I would not have been able to help her. Also, hospice dose nothing to cause death, that would be against the law. A Hospice house simply provides comfort for those who are near death. Just be certain that whoever has your medical power of attorney is trustworthy and understands your final wishes.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:05 AM

If you have a Power if Attorney for Healthcare, your designated person can make those decisions not the healthcare team. Also, someone with a “terminal” diagnosis can choose to go into Hospice care, something you should look into.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Sage

My mother passed away from cancer in 1975. She was in hospital the last weeks of life. She got pain meds every 4 hours but towards the end, they eased off their potency at about 3 hrs. I remember speaking to the charge nurse and asking why they didn't give her the meds since she was terminal anyway. The answer was, "because as we decline, we get weaker and the nurse administering it doesn't want to give the dose that may cause her death!" ???????????? In other words, it would be layered on too close to the previous one and weaken the heart. I didn't argue but this didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. This was before Hospice. Back then, in our community, they didn't even recommend allowing her to go home to die. Apparently it would be too hard on family in the caring of the person. Times have changed for sure. I've heard many people say that Hospice is wonderful!!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I have looked into that, but if you are in a hospital and your doctor says you can live on, he/she has authority over your will or end of life wishes.
Not true. Retired nurse here, and ANYONE has the right to deny medical treatment that is of age of consent and mentally capable. Should you desire, you can name a Medical Power of Attorney and give that individual IN WRITING what your wishes are. You are NOT required to accept any medical treatment at all, as long as they can verify that is in fact your desire, regardless of your ability to speak for yourself at the time.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:04 PM

I'm with you, am an 82 year old and do not want the run around that we will get when we become ill.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:08 PM

Hospice helped my husband die with no pain by controlling it with meds, he stopped drinking any fluids which Hospice allows knowing that within 2 weeks you die peacefully. The doctor suggested this and the nurses said that many end their lives this way. They will not force liquids. So this is a way you might consider.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:50 PM

I totally agree. We should have our own say to when to end the life we have left. We treat our pets better than humans when being able to put them out of pain and suffering.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:42 PM

Hospice does nice work for the “terminally ill”. No, they will Not kill you but they do great work relieving suffering. That’s what you are looking for, right?
Old 12-09-2019, 04:55 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like medical power of attorney is my best bet. I assume that can be one of my children. I would not put my wife in that position.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

nothing available here, as far as know. you may have to handle it yourself
Old 12-09-2019, 03:17 PM

Be careful what you say and who you tell. I told my doctor I was thinking like you and wound up held for 24 hours under Florida's Baker Act.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:04 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelcaplin View Post
Be careful what you say and who you tell. I told my doctor I was thinking like you and wound up held for 24 hours under Florida's Baker Act.
That is horrible. Just one more example that we are losing our freedoms.
Closed Thread

Tags
life, it’s, coward, call, end

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.