Endoscopy

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-07-2020, 09:07 PM
Gigi3000 Gigi3000 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 121
Thanks: 212
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Default Endoscopy

My aunt has had 4 Endoscopies in the last 3 months. She has broken blood vessels in her small intestines. The local hospital has cauderized has much as their equipment can reach. I didnt have the presents of mind to ask today who would have this equipment. Anyone familiar with this? Who might have this equipment? She keeps losing blood and having to have repeat blood transfusions.
  #2  
Old 02-08-2020, 02:23 AM
asianthree's Avatar
asianthree asianthree is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennacamp, Fernandinia 2 Frogs
Posts: 7,158
Thanks: 19
Thanked 1,098 Times in 419 Posts
Default

Unsure of your question on who has the equipment. Any endo land has the same scopes, procedures only difference is the staff. Not knowing previous health issues to cause issues is a question. Endo is a procedure, doubles are done by the hundreds everyday, in outpatient facility. Hospitals deal with Repeat bleeders all the time, usually middle of the night.
__________________
Do not worry about things you can not change

Last edited by asianthree; 02-09-2020 at 09:12 AM.
  #3  
Old 02-08-2020, 06:37 AM
Parker's Avatar
Parker Parker is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 846
Thanks: 1
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Perhaps it is time for a second opinion. This sounds serious and should be evaluated by more than one provider just to be sure, IMHO.
  #4  
Old 02-08-2020, 06:58 AM
Living a Fantasy Living a Fantasy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Village of Cortez
Posts: 140
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Dr. Christina Covelli is a gastroenterologist at the Advent Hospital (formerly known as Waterman) in the Eustis-Tavares area. she is extremely talented and has done more than 10,000 combination colonoscopy/endoscopy procedures. I know because I put her through the third degree before she did one for my wife. Nothing in the colon or throat showed any bleeding (or cancer) fortunately. She then prescribed the Pill Camera (Capsule Endoscopy) which detects any bleeds in the small intestine. We learned that neither the colonoscopy nor the endoscopy can reach and diagnose the small intestines. It was in the small intestines that there were some non-bleeding AVM's. More on AVM's and the Pill Cam can be found at Arteriovenous Malformation Detected by Small Bowel Endoscopy

Although Dr. Christina Covelli doesn't have the right equipment for the necessary surgery for the small intestine bleeds, she is aligned with a center in Orlando that has the proper equipment and expertise. My wife didn't have any bleeding AVM's or transfusions and because iron pills seem to be working for my wife; she decided to forego the small intestine surgery.

I would try to get an appointment with Dr. Covelli or her very able assistant, Allison. Their number at Advent in Tavares is 352-742-2192.

I hope the sharing of our experience and research helps.
  #5  
Old 02-08-2020, 09:39 AM
Gigi3000 Gigi3000 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 121
Thanks: 212
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living a Fantasy View Post
Dr. Christina Covelli is a gastroenterologist at the Advent Hospital (formerly known as Waterman) in the Eustis-Tavares area. she is extremely talented and has done more than 10,000 combination colonoscopy/endoscopy procedures. I know because I put her through the third degree before she did one for my wife. Nothing in the colon or throat showed any bleeding (or cancer) fortunately. She then prescribed the Pill Camera (Capsule Endoscopy) which detects any bleeds in the small intestine. We learned that neither the colonoscopy nor the endoscopy can reach and diagnose the small intestines. It was in the small intestines that there were some non-bleeding AVM's. More on AVM's and the Pill Cam can be found at Arteriovenous Malformation Detected by Small Bowel Endoscopy

Although Dr. Christina Covelli doesn't have the right equipment for the necessary surgery for the small intestine bleeds, she is aligned with a center in Orlando that has the proper equipment and expertise. My wife didn't have any bleeding AVM's or transfusions and because iron pills seem to be working for my wife; she decided to forego the small intestine surgery.

I would try to get an appointment with Dr. Covelli or her very able assistant, Allison. Their number at Advent in Tavares is 352-742-2192.

I hope the sharing of our experience and research helps.
Your link describes my aunt situation. She has had the pill camera and I've heard AVM mentioned. Thanks for the info!
  #6  
Old 02-08-2020, 09:52 AM
starflyte1 starflyte1 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Villas de la Mesa
Posts: 1,668
Thanks: 284
Thanked 261 Times in 69 Posts
Default

I would suggest going to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. It is a three hour drive and well worth it.
__________________
Village of Hacienda East
  #7  
Old 02-08-2020, 12:36 PM
ladyarwen3 ladyarwen3 is offline
Member
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Dunmore PA/ Village of Glenbrook
Posts: 73
Thanks: 117
Thanked 109 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Agreed about seeing another physician. Endoscopy is limited to the upper GI tract (esophagus, stomach, duodenum) and the lower tract (large intestine). The majority of the small intestine is simply not "reachable" by endoscopy. However, there are alternative diagnostics and treatment options that are best discussed with a board-certified gastro-enterologist. Best of luck to you and your aunt
  #8  
Old 02-08-2020, 02:20 PM
Gigi3000 Gigi3000 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 121
Thanks: 212
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarwen3 View Post
Agreed about seeing another physician. Endoscopy is limited to the upper GI tract (esophagus, stomach, duodenum) and the lower tract (large intestine). The majority of the small intestine is simply not "reachable" by endoscopy. However, there are alternative diagnostics and treatment options that are best discussed with a board-certified gastro-enterologist. Best of luck to you and your aunt
I have been reading about a double balloon enterscopy. Next time her blood level drops we are going to the emergency room in a hospital in neighboring city that does this to see if they can help her. Thanks for the info
  #9  
Old 02-08-2020, 04:05 PM
Living a Fantasy Living a Fantasy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Village of Cortez
Posts: 140
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Default

The next step after the Pill Camera is a DBE (Double Balloon Enteroscopy) if it can be done safely and successfully? Is that what was done for her to stop the bleeds? Here is a link that talks about the risks for the elderly.

Double-Balloon Enteroscopy in Elderly Patients: Is It Safe and Useful?
  #10  
Old 02-08-2020, 08:20 PM
Gigi3000 Gigi3000 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 121
Thanks: 212
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living a Fantasy View Post
The next step after the Pill Camera is a DBE (Double Balloon Enteroscopy) if it can be done safely and successfully? Is that what was done for her to stop the bleeds? Here is a link that talks about the risks for the elderly.

Double-Balloon Enteroscopy in Elderly Patients: Is It Safe and Useful?
No, the DBE wasnt done. This hospital isnt set up with the correct equipment to do it. The doctor also said to go deeper into the intestine would be harder on her but, according to your posted link, should have a good outcome. They did take her off blood thinners, I just found out, so we're hopeful with that and all the cauterizing, she'll retain her blood. Should know within a couple of weeks. Thanks!
  #11  
Old 02-09-2020, 06:36 AM
Living a Fantasy Living a Fantasy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Village of Cortez
Posts: 140
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Please keep us informed!
  #12  
Old 02-09-2020, 08:37 AM
Reesie Reesie is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 13
Thanks: 142
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default Shands

Get her to Shands in Gainesville. An hour away and a teaching hospital. Full of the best!
  #13  
Old 02-09-2020, 09:36 AM
geltner@verizon.net geltner@verizon.net is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 29
Thanks: 150
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Shands is a world-class hospital. The Villages is fortunate to have it so close by. Good luck with solving the bleeding problem.
  #14  
Old 02-09-2020, 01:05 PM
prntxpresn prntxpresn is offline
Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Move her to Shands or there's a good hospital in Ocala or Marion County.
  #15  
Old 02-09-2020, 02:40 PM
Linda Taranto Linda Taranto is offline
Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Village of Largo
Posts: 42
Thanks: 8
Thanked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Take her to Shands (University of Florida Health)
Closed Thread

Tags
blood, equipment, mind, today, endoscopy

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.