ER at The Villages Hospital

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 AM

We have been to the Villages ER twice and both times had excellent care.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:30 AM

I was released from TVH yesterday after Falling at home and taken tto TVH and immediately triaged and admitted. The care and treatment was great and my only complaint was the lousy food. All in all a satisfactory experience.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyg View Post
I was released from TVH yesterday after Falling at home and taken tto TVH and immediately triaged and admitted. The care and treatment was great and my only complaint was the lousy food. All in all a satisfactory experience.
Good to hear that.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

To paraphrase our 40th president:

The closest thing to eternal life on Earth is a Villages Regional Hospital ER thread
Old 06-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
To paraphrase our 40th president:

The closest thing to eternal life on Earth is a Villages Regional Hospital ER thread
That and lobster on the Three Word Thread.

I ran into a friend named John who threw out his hip a few days ago and said he had had a seven hour wait at the Villages Regional Hospital while in intense pain. I did not ask if they had offered him anything for this agony while he was waiting.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyg View Post
YUP....the food is pretty bad! We've experienced great care otherwise if you do get admitted! ER needs a bunch of re-vitalizing too I will admit!!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
YUP....the food is pretty bad! We've experienced great care otherwise if you do get admitted! ER needs a bunch of re-vitalizing too I will admit!!
I actually liked the food. I figure as long as I don't have to cook it, it's good. LOL
Don't want to bite the hand that's feeding me!
Old 07-03-2017, 06:25 PM

Whether it's an industry-leading "Company", a high-end "Development" or a acclaimed senior "Community" with over 100,000 residents - there are certain issues which are non-negotiable. And in this case Healthcare for The Villages' residents is one of them. There is no viable reason, financial or otherwise,for not having world-class facilities. Period. Forget the golf courses. Forget the recreation centers. For quality of life, Healthcare should be Paramount. "Losing money" is NO EXCUSE ! The most simplistic solution, while allowing for more complex remedies, is to raise the Maintenance Fees a small amount. With 50,000 residences, an increase of TEN DOLLARS a month would bring-in an additional SIX MILLION dollars a year. I suspect, but am not sure, that this would get things improved significantly. CEG - Santo Domingo
Old 07-03-2017, 06:52 PM

I had one occasion to use Metro Ambulance and hope I never need them again! I requested transport to Munroe Hospital in Ocala. The driver took the longest route possible, traveling Morse Blvd. rather than Buena Vista and going very slowly, not even at the speed limit, but under! It was like he was a taxi driver running up the meter! Meanwhile inside I was bleeding, an IV could not be started, and because of the slow moving ride, I had to accept going to The Villages Hospital, which was not my intention. With no medical assist inside, I could have gotten where I wanted to go had my husband driven me instead.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Sage
Default ER at The Villages Hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceguider View Post
Whether it's an industry-leading "Company", a high-end "Development" or a acclaimed senior "Community" with over 100,000 residents - there are certain issues which are non-negotiable. And in this case Healthcare for The Villages' residents is one of them. There is no viable reason, financial or otherwise,for not having world-class facilities. Period. Forget the golf courses. Forget the recreation centers. For quality of life, Healthcare should be Paramount. "Losing money" is NO EXCUSE ! The most simplistic solution, while allowing for more complex remedies, is to raise the Maintenance Fees a small amount. With 50,000 residences, an increase of TEN DOLLARS a month would bring-in an additional SIX MILLION dollars a year. I suspect, but am not sure, that this would get things improved significantly. CEG - Santo Domingo

First of all, 6 million would be an unnecessary drop in the bucket. TVRH, based on its 2015 Form 990, had revenue of $161 Million. And this does not count revenue from Leesburg, its sister hospital. It had cash of $54 Million, and other liquid assets of $10 Million. It had a good balance sheet.

In addition, executive pay is very significant for a non-profit. The system ceo's compensation was $885 Thousand.

There is no reason for Villagers to be burdened by a tax, fee, or other assessment, so let's not even go there.

Since this is your second post, I would be pleased to help you understand any other issues that may concern you about hospital management and operations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by dbussone; 07-03-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:27 PM

I have heard this from others and would like to share my story. Our neighbor was taken by EMS to ER and of course, was put in a room quickly. When I arrived at 8 am there was no one in the waiting room. However, as the day went on, we watched as rooms were emptied and filled immediately. Constant turnover. When I left at 8 pm ( after my neighbor was finally admitted. ) the ER waiting room was full . I believe too that we need more ER service ... and often wonder if this can't be handled by Urgent Care facilities ??? Never quite understood why they close so early, as I think it would be helpful for them to pick up the "lighter" cases that dont' need a hospital stay. The Villages Hospital has an Urgent Care .. which, to my thinking , could be that place where peope with non-hospital type cases could go... and if it was then decided that they needed hospital .. they would be in the right place.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:41 AM
Sage

Maybe a committee should be formed to approach the hospital officials with their complaints and concerns. NOT much will happen without some action. Doesn't seem beneficial to come on social media sites and complain.

Addendum to the above: I was just reading a letter to the editor of my home-town newspaper in the midwest. It could have been written by many on this site (only insert the names where applied). The writer tells of her elderly dad who went to the ER (a Mayo sattelite hospital) and was there for 10 hrs before treatment. It's a long story of ambulance rides, transfers to other Mayo facilities then back to the nursing home over days/weeks. It was a sad commentary that probably is happening all over our country and not just here in The Villages! People continually say..."I won't go to TVRH but will go instead to ___insert hospital's name____". Then you hear a story from someone or several someone's whose experiences in those hospitals are equally not positive. My point is...medical care is changing very rapidly! What we remember from "back home" probably isn't like that anymore. But still what I stated in my original 2 sentences might be an option for us here.

Last edited by NotGolfer; 07-04-2017 at 06:53 AM. Reason: addition of more
Old 07-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Maybe a committee should be formed to approach the hospital officials with their complaints and concerns. NOT much will happen without some action. Doesn't seem beneficial to come on social media sites and complain.

Addendum to the above: I was just reading a letter to the editor of my home-town newspaper in the midwest. It could have been written by many on this site (only insert the names where applied). The writer tells of her elderly dad who went to the ER (a Mayo sattelite hospital) and was there for 10 hrs before treatment. It's a long story of ambulance rides, transfers to other Mayo facilities then back to the nursing home over days/weeks. It was a sad commentary that probably is happening all over our country and not just here in The Villages! People continually say..."I won't go to TVRH but will go instead to ___insert hospital's name____". Then you hear a story from someone or several someone's whose experiences in those hospitals are equally not positive. My point is...medical care is changing very rapidly! What we remember from "back home" probably isn't like that anymore. But still what I stated in my original 2 sentences might be an option for us here.
I worked in a very good large hospital in Michigan. These stories are the same every where. I have several friends who work in hospitals and these same stories are told.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I worked in a very good large hospital in Michigan. These stories are the same every where. I have several friends who work in hospitals and these same stories are told.
Thank you Bonny! You reinforce exactly what I was trying to share. It's not a happy thought, is it?? As we age and with the Medicare and supplemental ins. we all carry (differing but similar)...well it's just not a positive thing to think upon.

The folks who live in my former home-town remember the hospital, clinics and health-care they all had, like 20 to 50 yrs ago...maybe less. What's happening in my home state is like a monopoly and the patients are who are affected. It's not about "care" anymore, but about profit and money!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

When I was 15 (1953), I was injured in a baseball game requiring a lot of stitches . Taken to Siani Hospital in Baltimore at about 7:30 pm. Was not seen by Dr until 3 hrs later and was discharged at around Midnight. Often our memories of better places and quicker times are mistaken or greatly exaggerated. Not saying that there is no chance for improvement.

Tags
villages, hospital, hours, waiting, residents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.