Exercise BIke - Upright or Recumbent ?

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2020, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts
Default Exercise BIke - Upright or Recumbent ?

I'm age 70, relatively fit but I want to lose a few pounds and stay in some kind of shape.
I do have osteoarthritis in my back. I want to get an exercise bike. I've always had an upright in the past, but a recumbent is intriguing. I just don't want to buy it and not use it.

Thoughts and opinions? Thanks. Be safe out there.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Go to any of the fitness centers when they finally open up. They have both types of bikes. You can try them both to see which one is a better fit for you. There is a $5 per day fee for visitors.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

My hubby tried both, he has a lower back problem since an accident in his teens but it doesn’t stop him from any sports. He says the upright is easier on his back. I hurt one knee when a car crashed into my motorcycle several years ago and I prefer the recumbent as it is gentler on my knees.

Also if you order from Amazon, they will take it back if you don’t like it. From my experience when it comes to exercise items, get the very best you can afford. (Google the reviews.) There is a much greater chance that you will use something that is a pleasure to use.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I'm age 70, relatively fit but I want to lose a few pounds and stay in some kind of shape.
I do have osteoarthritis in my back. I want to get an exercise bike. I've always had an upright in the past, but a recumbent is intriguing. I just don't want to buy it and not use it.

I have scoliosis as well as heart disease. My heart doc wants me to get my heart rate up via exercise. I have an elliptical that can be used upright or sitting. I thought that the sitting would be easier for my back pain.

I found that when I use it sitting, it takes much longer to get my heart rate up. I now use it standing. Get the same heart rate benefit, but finish my exercise quicker. I exercise on it until my back revolts.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

We have a Schwinn recumbent exercise bike and very much like it. I find it much easier on my bad knees. We don’t have bad backs, but the sitting position is very comfortable on the back and neck, no need to bend or hunch over.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

When I see a recumbent bike in the golf cart lane on St. Charles, Pinellas or Hillborough, I think of the Springsteen song, it's a suicide machine, a death trap.

So you want ride low next to the ground in bicycle with no protection other than a plastic helment on your head with an 85 year driver moving along at least 30mph at maybe 3' or 4' feet away you you going at two or three times your speed. If you do decide that's what you want, get some flags on a tall stick at the very least.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-10-2020, 05:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Probably best to ask an orthopedic doctor or physical therapist which would be most beneficial for you. Really depends on the individual’s condition
Old 05-10-2020, 06:58 AM

I would recommend renting a recumbent bike by a trail and take it out for at least an hour ride. You could do that same thing with an upright bike. You might even want to do that a second time with each and then determine what’s best for you. The recumbent bike that’s in the gym is not the same as it would be on the road. The angle of the seat can make a huge difference on how it loads the spine.

I love my recumbent bike it’s very user-friendly on my back! My only suggestion would be for the best safety practice is to ride it on a trail or the where there is very little traffic. Happy trails!
Old 05-10-2020, 07:16 AM

If you are looking at a road bike look at a hybrid (bicycle with flat handle bars & wider wheels) if you are looking at a exercise bike that stays in your house get one that has a smaller seat, it’s easier on your hips.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
When I see a recumbent bike in the golf cart lane on St. Charles, Pinellas or Hillborough, I think of the Springsteen song, it's a suicide machine, a death trap.

So you want ride low next to the ground in bicycle with no protection other than a plastic helment on your head with an 85 year driver moving along at least 30mph at maybe 3' or 4' feet away you you going at two or three times your speed. If you do decide that's what you want, get some flags on a tall stick at the very least.

The Villages Florida
I assumed an “exercise” bike was stationary and you could avoid the added expense of that tall flag on the back.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:00 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

The Villages Florida
I don’t think it matters which bike you’re riding for that to be true. Flags, lights, bright clothing, use whatever you can to make yourself seen. And riders should not assume they can be seen. Don’t be obstinate about your rights to the path space. Yes, you have those rights, but if a driver doesn’t see you and hits you what difference did they make?
Old 05-10-2020, 08:18 AM
Thumbs up Recumbent Trike

Quote:

I recommend recumbent trikes. Very comfortable seats and you don't have to worry about balance. I have over 1300 miles on mine. Foldable modals are available for easy transport to the many trails which are a very short drive from TV. By the way, if you research the biking trail network, you'll find a bike rental shop near by that rents both types for you to try before purchase, might be worth the investment before you buy. I'd be happy to share more information if you're interested.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:27 AM

My orthopedic surgeon has had me on an exercise bike for 30 years. Recumbent is the way to go as I have had both. It is much easier on the back. For the past 30 years, I have done an hour a day at a high intensity level most everyday.
Be careful in choosing the right bike from a comfort and feature level. I read while I ride so it was important for me to have a console to put my book reader on. Any ways, good luck!
Old 05-10-2020, 08:54 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapbas View Post
I assumed an “exercise” bike was stationary and you could avoid the added expense of that tall flag on the back.

Assuming the same........I would say recumbent bike. It takes the weight off of your wrists and shoulders. (talking about road bikes......my fingers get numb sometimes)

If assumption is wrong do not get a recumbent road bike........very difficult to see and there are a lot of old people with weak vision in the area. Flags don't help much.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapbas View Post
In normal times I go to MVP Health Club at Brownwood 3 or 4 days a week. I've been a member for six years, actually today May 10th, I just realized that. I paid $109 a month for my wife and me for four years and then just over two years ago it became free as part of the United Health Medicare Advantage Plan, which is also free.

I use either the stationary bike or treadmill for about 75 to 90 minutes each visit, it's really great. If you haven't been there, when it reopens stop by for a free tour.

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

Tags
exercise, bike, recumbent, upright, past

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.