Eye Implants With Cataracts Surgery

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn1tv View Post
I, too, agree with Buzzy. I cannot believe a dr. can "predict" cataracts in 2 years; you have them or you don't and reputable ophthalmologists would not recommend surgery until necessary. I would also suggest a second opinion.
I also paid $5000 out of pocket for lenses as I did not want the standard lenses because I would still have to wear glasses. It's a personal preference. I know others who got the standard lenses and don't require glasses any more. Your doctor can advise you.
I wonder if what the doctor meant was that he could see the beginnings of cataracts and predicted that in two years they would be very advanced and impacting your vision greatly. It took about two years for that to happen to mine when the doctor first detected the start of the cataracts.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:27 AM
Gold member

Not all patients are candidates for bifocular lenses. Need to see your doctor, and have eyes tested. I'm halfway through with having cataracts removed, and I chose distance lens only. (I don't mind wearing reading glasses for paper or computer) My doctor recommended it also. The difference is, I chose laser, over incision, because after reading up on this (and the surgeon explaining) the accuracy is much more greater with laser then regular incision. Had first eye done on 11nth of this month, with second eye done on 31st (no New Years cheer) Like a said in another thread, it's a piece of cake. Dr Wherly did mine. You will be amazed the difference in your sight!!! Everything is so clear, and colors are just amazing. I recommend it to any one who needs that surgery. The longest part of the surgery, is waiting for your eyes to be diolated. In and out in about 2- 3 hrs. Feel nothing. I say, "Go for it"!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowleesCreekYachtClub View Post
I have no supplemental insurance and was presented with a detailed price list up front explaining what Medicare would pay and what I would have to pay. Total cost at the clinic was $850 for both eyes. Plus I had to pay $350 for the eye drops - I was told it would be $350 for each eye but there was enough for both eyes.

If you opt for Laser surgery Medicare will not pay. As I understand it Laser surgery is used to reshape the eye to correct vision problems. If Laser surgery is used instead of the knife to make the incision to insert the new lens then Medicare will not pay - so don't get Laser surgery if it is not needed.

Can anyone else confirm that Medicare will only pay for incision? It seems that if Laser is less invasive, ergo safer, it would make sense to use Laser. I don't have cataracts but would really like to know what it will cost to do it as "elective".
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
Can anyone else confirm that Medicare will only pay for incision? It seems that if Laser is less invasive, ergo safer, it would make sense to use Laser. I don't have cataracts but would really like to know what it will cost to do it as "elective".
Yes. Medicare will only pay for incision. Medicare says that Laser is not required, and not needed. Your probably looking at from 1000-1500 per eye for laser, out of pocket.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Sage

So laser to do crystalens would be $3000? I would do it in a heartbeat Where do I go in TV to get this done?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
So laser to do crystalens would be $3000? I would do it in a heartbeat Where do I go in TV to get this done?
I go to Lake Eye. I recommend Dr Wehrly for surgery. I'm sure others might recommend some one else also. Last week, Dr Wehrly did 15 patients at the Surgical Center on Rt 466.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Is it less invasive and safer?
The FDA approved the use of this laser for cataract surgery without comparative studies, but newer better IOLs have been in use outside of the USA for years (Synchrony, Lenstec, etc) and are still waiting in the FDA pipeline. I have to wonder about the "unbiased" approval system.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 12-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
The Crystalens website has a "Find a Surgeon" tab. A yellow star indicates that the Center of Excellence award is presented to Crystalens-certified ophthalmologists that have implanted at least 100 Crystalens. Good place to start looking.
Crystalens
Suffering from TV envy
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.