knee surgery/treatments

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2016, 06:19 PM
Default knee surgery/treatments

Am coming back to TV in few weeks and am getting closer to the time when my knees will need some attention. Is there any talk in the area of "stem cell infusion" in lieu of surgery? Thanks
Old 10-15-2016, 04:15 AM

If you do not decide on stem cell, the BEST Dr for a knee replacement is Dr S. Nguyen in Maitland ,Florida near Orlando. Word of mouth reviews in Villages are stellar. Honestly, everyone I've met:friends, acquaintances and strangers alike have nothing but exclamations of his outstanding wotrk. Gratefulness abounds. He has a technique where he cuts from the side rather than the front and the healing is much faster.
I had my left knee replaced last February 2016 and my new knee is perfect. No pain, range of motion is 95%. Certainly,I was careful to no overdo when healing (no pickleball for several months)and did PT even on days even when not scheduled. But I am thankful beyond measure because of his talent, skill, knowledge, surgery technique, bedside manner.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Sage

I have no doubt Dr. Nguyen is excellent. But just so you'll know there are options, my results with Dr. Duke in Ocala were the same as carol's in every respect.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Default I second Dr. Nguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol_baumer View Post
If you do not decide on stem cell, the BEST Dr for a knee replacement is Dr S. Nguyen in Maitland ,Florida near Orlando. Word of mouth reviews in Villages are stellar. Honestly, everyone I've met:friends, acquaintances and strangers alike have nothing but exclamations of his outstanding wotrk. Gratefulness abounds. He has a technique where he cuts from the side rather than the front and the healing is much faster.
I had my left knee replaced last February 2016 and my new knee is perfect. No pain, range of motion is 95%. Certainly,I was careful to no overdo when healing (no pickleball for several months)and did PT even on days even when not scheduled. But I am thankful beyond measure because of his talent, skill, knowledge, surgery technique, bedside manner.
I just had my knee replaced Tuesday by Dr. Nguyen and it is amazing. I didn't need any pain medication after my overnight (only did an overnight because it is what Medicare mandates). I am not using a walker or cane since day two. I am only 3 degrees from being where Dr. Nguyen wants me to be. He is amazing and so worth the trip. His staff is incredible and I will have the other knee done in January.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the information. I have heard of a newer procedure which involves spreading the muscles vs cutting. Do you know if that might be used by either of these doctors?
Old 10-16-2016, 01:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I have no doubt Dr. Nguyen is excellent. But just so you'll know there are options, my results with Dr. Duke in Ocala were the same as carol's in every respect.

I had my left knee done by Dr Duke and my right knee done by Dr Nguyen. I would never say anything bad about Dr Duke. I had good results but with more pain and a longer convalescence when he did my left knee. The side incision itself by Dr Nguyen is not magic; it is that he does not cut the muscle; he moves it and that is why there is less pain and the convalescence is shorter. I am very happy with the results but, honestly, there are still some rough patches. I used a walker for 3 weeks with Dr Duke's surgery, 1 day with Dr Nguyen. A cane was used about a month with Dr Duke, it was used on and off for 2 weeks with Dr Nguyen.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:09 PM
Veteran member

DakotaBoy Dr Nguyen does the procedure that he does not cut the muscle.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
I had my left knee done by Dr Duke and my right knee done by Dr Nguyen. I would never say anything bad about Dr Duke. I had good results but with more pain and a longer convalescence when he did my left knee. The side incision itself by Dr Nguyen is not magic; it is that he does not cut the muscle; he moves it and that is why there is less pain and the convalescence is shorter. I am very happy with the results but, honestly, there are still some rough patches. I used a walker for 3 weeks with Dr Duke's surgery, 1 day with Dr Nguyen. A cane was used about a month with Dr Duke, it was used on and off for 2 weeks with Dr Nguyen.
Wow. Again, I have no doubt Dr. Nguyen is excellent. (I will definitely consider him if I ever have to have my second knee replaced...heheh.) But with Dr. Duke, I was on a walker for one day and back on the softball field in three weeks.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

Hi, I do agree, check all the possibilities and be sure you really do the job right.

I had my left knee done on the West Coast, about 18 months ago. He did the traditional cut and total replacement.
For two months, it was a real chore, could do almost nothing.
So now, again, in this 18 months, I do get a lot of exercise, but I do have quite a bit of discomfort, I will not take pain pills etc.
I have heard good things about Dr. Duke and the other Doctor (Nugyuen ?)mentioned here. There is also another Orthopedic Doctor in the area of Mt. Dora that people rave about, I am not sure what method he uses. Before the replacement, I had the Plasma injections, painful, expensive and no improvement at all.

Good luck. bbbbbb
Old 10-22-2016, 01:38 PM

I had Stem Cell by Dr Purita (started and educates Stem Cell in Miami and Boca) and I spent 5K and it worked for 9 months. I then went to Dr Duke Ocala for a left knee replacement and it was never right. Went back to Duke stating continuous pain and he wouldn't even see me, only his PA. I decided to go for a second opinion and I am now going to Dr Nguyen in Maitland and he has been doing his medical best to try to get it right (always in pain and knee snapping) but I think it will have to be replaced again. I would definitely choose Dr Nguyen over Duke any day. Dr Duke was an ass and stated there was nothing wrong....come to find out, i have an over-hang (too large of a replacement) and I am also allergic to the metal. Duke wouldn't even see me. Dr Nguyen has been a medical angel. I wish I had gone to him first.

Last edited by paulascorpio; 10-22-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:04 PM

Hello, I'm scheduled for a partial knee replacement in January. How can I contact Dr. Nguyen? I'd like his opinion before I go in the wrong direction.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2016, 04:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,025 Times in 361 Posts

Http:// Optimotion Orthopaedics
Old 10-22-2016, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,300 Times in 863 Posts

Had my first knee replaced in 1999. At that time there was no alternative to the conventional procedure and there was experience with length of time the knee would hold before a recision would be needed. It will be interesting to know what that will be with the new process since there is no long time history, just speculation. I will be interested in how the recision will be done with this process since sooner or later I will be headed down that road.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-23-2016, 06:48 AM

I had my knee done by Dr. Cook at The Villages TriCounty Orthopedics.... He and his team are AWESOME!

I know Dr. Nguyen is good because my friend had his done but he had to wait a long time to get the surgery done. After my surgery, I was at home in 15 minutes resting comfortably. If you go out of town to get it done, it isn't a fun ride back here.

Just my 2 cents ;-)
Old 10-23-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Wow. Again, I have no doubt Dr. Nguyen is excellent. (I will definitely consider him if I ever have to have my second knee replaced...heheh.) But with Dr. Duke, I was on a walker for one day and back on the softball field in three weeks.
I visited Dr Nguyen first and was given a surgery date 6 months out. I felt I couldn't wait so I saw Dr Duke. I had the surgery 3 weeks later. I played golf on the 23rd day after surgery and shot my age on the 29th day.
Closed Thread

Tags
attention, talk, stem, surgery, lieu

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.