Family Situation - Advice Please

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Sage
Default Family Situation - Advice Please

My brother has had Parkinson's Disease since 1990, needless to say it's pretty advanced. He needs round-the-clock care. His wife has been his sole caregiver since the beginning. It has been very difficult for her recently due to his deteriorating condition.

Just a couple months ago, his wife was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Needless to say, a very difficult and sad situation. He is in a very nice care facility that meets his needs. She is responding reasonably well to chemo, staying in their house, and wishes to maintain her independence as much as possible and still be able to help with his care.

Since they are both now sick, various options are being considered, including ALF's and similar facilities. None however seem to provide the balance of full care for him, and yet a degree of independence and the ability to help with his care that she wishes to have. She will likely need some degree of care at some point down the line. Their daughter is exhausted and does little other than care for them. My question is...

Does any facility in TV offer the type of care that might fit this situation? I leave the question rather vague and general, because the family would consider all options...typical ALF's, some sort of hybrid facility combining full care with some independence, anything.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Sage

I don't know. I can only give you the names of ALF in the area so you can look into them yourself. I sincerely wish them some peace.

14 Assisted Living Communities in The Villages, FL - SeniorHousingNet.com
Old 11-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

If you are willing to look at Ocala. Brentwood at Fore Ranch Assisted Living has 24 hour nursing services and an Extended Congregate Care license which means it provides a higher level of care. It is a two year old building and beautiful with excellent care services and the ability to provide the independent to the more intensive care.Call Lisa or Janet at 352 304 six four three three www.brentwoodforeranch.com

Last edited by jane032657; 11-18-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
If you are willing to look at Ocala. Brentwood at Fore Ranch Assisted Living has 24 hour nursing services and an Extended Congregate Care license which means it provides a higher level of care. It is a two year old building and beautiful with excellent care services and the ability to provide the independent to the more intensive care.Call Lisa or Janet at 352 304 6*** Ocala Senior Living at Brentwood at Fore Ranch
I just wanted to give a helpful hint. On TOTV, some sequence of numbers do not appear as numbers, but with asteriks.

Would you edit your post, to spell out the remaining numbers?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
My brother has had Parkinson's Disease since 1990, needless to say it's pretty advanced. He needs round-the-clock care. His wife has been his sole caregiver since the beginning. It has been very difficult for her recently due to his deteriorating condition.

Just a couple months ago, his wife was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Needless to say, a very difficult and sad situation. He is in a very nice care facility that meets his needs. She is responding reasonably well to chemo, staying in their house, and wishes to maintain her independence as much as possible and still be able to help with his care.

Since they are both now sick, various options are being considered, including ALF's and similar facilities. None however seem to provide the balance of full care for him, and yet a degree of independence and the ability to help with his care that she wishes to have. She will likely need some degree of care at some point down the line. Their daughter is exhausted and does little other than care for them. My question is...

Does any facility in TV offer the type of care that might fit this situation? I leave the question rather vague and general, because the family would consider all options...typical ALF's, some sort of hybrid facility combining full care with some independence, anything.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
I just wanted to send my best wishes your problem can be resolved with everyone. It is a very tough situation for the parents as well as their daughter.

My cousin took care of her parents and they lived into their nineties. She finally had to put them in a nursing home, as it was very exhausting to handle, all of their special needs.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.