"Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2013, 04:02 PM
KittyKat
Default "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"

Recently watched this documentary about Australian Joe Cross' 60 day journey across America on a juicing cleanse. Also watched him on a Dr Oz video where he talked about a 3 day weekend trial cleanse. I would like to try this but after searching for juicers online my head is spinning. I found good reviews for Jack LaLanne's juicers but then Consumer Reports rated it the lowest. I'm hoping we have some "juicers" in TV who can recommend their brand of juicer. I'm also interested in what you wash your fruits & veggies in. Found an old thread about a vinegar rinse. Do you buy yours or make your own? Also, is juicing your only diet or do you juice for breakfast and/or lunch? Thanks for any info you can give me.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Sage

ask my friend Hil...he's a pro...juices every day. Pm me your email if you want to contact him. He doesn't read all this stuff.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:43 PM

You don't need a juicer if you are only cleansing for 2-3 days. Just look up "Master Cleanser," which only requires water, lemons, grade B maple syrup, and cayenne pepper. Good hot or cold. I've done it on occasion since the 60s. Sometimes I'll use a tea bag or two too.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Veteran member

We bought a Breville from Bed Bath and Beyond the last time we were down and it was very good. We juice usually at lunch as an alternative to a "meal" when we are feeling inclined. You can also juice at every mealtime if you want. It depends on what your goal is. We do it to get veggies in and for a change. Lots of good recipes around and easy to do with the juicer we got. It has a wide mouth so there isn't as much cutting up to do. Up north we have a L'Equip which I also like and which is as good and also as easy to clean. It is a little shorter so it stores in less space.

LW888
Old 01-01-2014, 07:47 PM
KittyKat

Breville is the brand Joe used in his documentary. It & L'Equip got good reviews on Consumer Reports. My s-i-l has a Nutribullet which claims it is an extractor. I went over there today to try one of Joe's recipes for a morning drink: 2 carrots, 2 apples and 1" of ginger. You have to add water and it ends up pretty thick, which I didn't like. Flavor was OK. But to me it was just like a blender which is not the true way to juice. I like the idea of drinking the pulp, though. Now I'm really unsure what to do.

Kitty, I pm'd my email address. Will look forward to hearing from Hil.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

If we want to have the pulp we use our Vita--Mix but I have to say that we don't use it very often for that. We too find it fairly thick and prefer true juicing. We don't have a wheatgrass juicer which some people prefer.

LW888
Old 01-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

I have a Vitamix and make a "green smoothie" most days. I often have it for breakfast, but sometimes we'll use it for dinner as well. Carrots make smoothies VERY pulpy. I rarely use them. You can "juice" using a vitamix by straining your smoothie through a "nut milk bag". That will remove the pulp. Personally, I like ingesting the fiber. My intestines crave it!

Alanna

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Veteran member

That's a good idea Alanna. Must try that and see if it works for us. Always good to have variety!

LW888
Old 01-02-2014, 08:38 AM

I'm looking for new recipes for green smoothies; any favorites?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
Breville is the brand Joe used in his documentary. It & L'Equip got good reviews on Consumer Reports. My s-i-l has a Nutribullet which claims it is an extractor. I went over there today to try one of Joe's recipes for a morning drink: 2 carrots, 2 apples and 1" of ginger. You have to add water and it ends up pretty thick, which I didn't like. Flavor was OK. But to me it was just like a blender which is not the true way to juice. I like the idea of drinking the pulp, though. Now I'm really unsure what to do.

Kitty, I pm'd my email address. Will look forward to hearing from Hil.
If this is supposed to be for health purposes, I don't understand it. There's nothing better than eating whole fruits and vegetables. Don't fall for the advertisements that tell you how healthy or slim you'll be by juicing. It will never be better than eating whole foods.

It's important to chew your food. Chewing serves an important function for digestion and it prevents bone loss in your jawbone. Fiber is important too. I'll provide more information on that in my next post. Stay tuned.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Veteran member
Default great minds think alike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
If this is supposed to be for health purposes, I don't understand it. There's nothing better than eating whole fruits and vegetables. Don't fall for the advertisements that tell you how healthy or slim you'll be by juicing. It will never be better than eating whole foods.

It's important to chew your food. Chewing serves an important function for digestion and it prevents bone loss in your jawbone. Fiber is important too. I'll provide more information on that in my next post. Stay tuned.
Gee..... I was going to say the same thing, but you wrote it better than I could have and I have a VitaMix but rarely use it.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:45 PM
KittyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post

I agree. I was on the Internet all night looking at various juicers, reading the reviews, watching videos. I decided I didn't like all that waste of the pulp so tonight I bought a new NutriBullet Pro 900(watts). It is supposed to make the drink more liquidy. I'm doing this to lose over 100lbs and then continue a healthy diet. I'm going to blend several x/day and eat a healthy supper. I can't imagine never chewing again; just like you said, it isn't healthy. Hope to get rid of my "wheat belly, bottom, thighs, etc." Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I think I might try that "Master Cleanser." Of course I'll be checking in with my doctor.

Joe Cross says to start the day with 18oz of hot water w/lemon and to have an herbal tea at night. Does the hot water jumpstart your metabolism or digestion? In my Internet search someone mentioned drinking "Holy Basil" tea=Tulsi tea (from India). Believe it or not I found it tonight at Sweetbay! Hope it tastes good.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:38 AM
Sage

My friend the Vegan's juicer is a Greenlife, 14 years old and in use almost daily.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Sage
Default Experts warn over choosing juice over fruit

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-24-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

My choice for weight loss is the Weight Watchers diet. It has worked for me and many of my family members and friends. Unfortunately, more than once. If we followed maintenance it would be no issue.

I have had too many cookies, candies, cakes and pies and rich sauces and I need to change my ways.

Now.

Bad nutrition is a REAL issue particularly for seniors.

Confession is good for the soul. Fruits and veggies are good for the bod.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.