FDA authorized booster shots for the Moderna and J& J vaccines

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2021, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,316 Times in 499 Posts
Default FDA authorized booster shots for the Moderna and J& J vaccines

"The FDA authorized booster shots for the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines for some populations Wednesday.
Moderna's vaccine can be administered at least six months after the second dose for people ages 65 and up and those ages 18 through 64 who either are at high risk of severe COVID-19 infection or have occupational exposure to the virus, the FDA said.
The J&J booster can be administered at least two months after the single-dose shot to those ages 18 and up, the agency said.
The FDA, which authorized Pfizer's booster dose last month, also said it will allow people to mix booster doses.
-ABC News"

Kind of interesting that they will allow mixing the vaccine shots. I had heard that they were telling people that it wouldn't matter if the second shot was of a different brand. Kind of makes one wonder if they are really that good, if it does not matter if they are mixed. Not saying they are not good, but just seems weird. I never claimed to be a medical professional so I have no idea how this stuff works. I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, if that means anything.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

The other side of the coin is that each vaccine has a slightly different way to produce immunity, so two different vaccines may not be a bad idea, full disclosure, I was an engineer NOT a doctor.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:54 AM
Gold member

Glad it's finally approved, we got our Moderna boosters 6 weeks ago! Just walked into Publix and asked for it.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 10-21-2021, 08:25 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

I'm curious as to what those who tout the assertion that natural protection from getting Covid is more effective/longer lasting than the vaccines, will end up doing. While the science is still being sorted out, the consensus by most experts is that natural immunity will also wane at some point, so what are they planning on doing - go out and get Covid again? And that highly touted, but limited, Israeli study ignores the actual risks of getting the disease. So, good luck with your second infection.

PolitiFact | Immunity gained from COVID-19 infection ignores the risks of getting the disease
Old 10-21-2021, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Glad it's finally approved, we got our Moderna boosters 6 weeks ago! Just walked into Publix and asked for it.
Has been "authorized" for some time now.....just like the first two shots were "authorized.

"Approval" just another box to check in the governmental process.

We got our third shot of Moderna at Publix. Filled out the paperwork and answered questions asked....we sailed through, no doubt, being 85.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Here we go again........
Old 10-21-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
I'm curious as to what those who tout the assertion that natural protection from getting Covid is more effective/longer lasting than the vaccines, will end up doing. While the science is still being sorted out, the consensus by most experts is that natural immunity will also wane at some point, so what are they planning on doing - go out and get Covid again? And that highly touted, but limited, Israeli study ignores the actual risks of getting the disease. So, good luck with your second infection.

PolitiFact | Immunity gained from COVID-19 infection ignores the risks of getting the disease
Politifact? Why not cite some actual science instead of a hacktastic and biased "fact checker"

Claiming an "expert consensus" that survivor immunity will wane is not supported by actual data. Covid 19 has been ravaging the world for 18 months, and so far actual data shows reinfections to be very rare, less than 1%. On the other hand, we know from a CDC study and several states that breakthrough cases among the fully vaccinated during delta surge are running at 25% of total cases.

Nobody, including the Israelis, is advising people to go out and catch covid so they will have superior immunity. At this time, younger and healthy covid survivors have no reason to get vaccinated. If we start seeing tons of reinfections as a result of waning survivor immunity then it would be wise for all survivors to get vaxxed. Vaccine mandates are ridiculous at this point since we know that vaccines wane, fully vaccinated people can catch and spread the disease, and thus, even if you are fully vaccinated and are on a plane with 100% vaccinated individuals, you can still catch covid. This is why the FDA has rapidly approved booster shots.

At this point, if I was a covid survivor over 65 I would definitely get a shot just to be safer. But we don't currently have a problem with survivors being reinfected, we have a problem with unvaccinated and fully vaccinated still catching covid.

A few examples:

Breakthrough cases in Massachusetts are making up about 35% of the state’s overall cases. People who are unvaccinated are at a higher risk for infection and a severe case.

Massachusetts coronavirus breakthrough cases rise 3,919 last week, down from the previous week – Sentinel and Enterprise

HARRISBURG, Pa. – More than a quarter of those hospitalized with Covid-19 are vaccinated “breakthrough” infections, according to a report issued today by the state Department of Health (DOH).

DOH: Breakthrough hospitalizations spike & will climb, but vaccine still “highly effective” – Harrisburg100

(Reuters) - Some 25% of SARS-CoV-2 infections among Los Angeles County residents occurred in fully vaccinated residents from May through July 25, a period that includes the impact of the highly transmissible Delta variant, U.S. officials reported on Tuesday.

U.S. data show rising 'breakthrough' infections among fully vaccinated

Last edited by SkBlogW; 10-21-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The other side of the coin is that each vaccine has a slightly different way to produce immunity, so two different vaccines may not be a bad idea, full disclosure, I was an engineer NOT a doctor.
That is my question as well , I got the JJ and was waiting for the informed info on a booster, mix, match , when ? I can see the logic of using vaccines with different approaches,, but I left my medical degree in a different pair of pants
Old 10-21-2021, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Has been "authorized" for some time now.....just like the first two shots were "authorized.

"Approval" just another box to check in the governmental process.

We got our third shot of Moderna at Publix. Filled out the paperwork and answered questions asked....we sailed through, no doubt, being 85.
The Moderna booster was only allowed for people with certain medical conditions. According to Publix, they would only give the booster to people who claimed to have a qualifying condition. But, I think they will start to give the booster to everyone over 65 very soon, since it is now approved.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

It is an entirely incorrect argument to suggest that the number of fully vaccinated people hospitalized or reinfected reflects what is being suggested. If you do not know the pre-existing condition of the individual you have bad data, or perhaps you are using data badly. It is clear that higher risk people, the elderly, the ill, the immunosuppressed, the obese, cancer survivors etc have a much higher rate of being vaccinated. They also have a much higher risk of becoming ill with infection.
I have not seen any breakdown of the demographic and pre-existing conditions of vaccine recipients who have been ill. Sec of State Powell is an excellent example of why you need full data to make useful conclusions. Yes he was vaccinated, and he got Covid and died. Certain media made a big deal out of that limited data. What is much more important is that he was undergoing treatment for multiple myeloma which made him very immune suppressed and may have meant he did not even mount much of a response to being vaccinated.
If only everyone around him had always masked and all been fully vaccinated that would have lessened but not eliminated his risk.

Another confounder in the data is that those who are the furthest out from their shots, those vaccinated first, not only may be loosing some immune protection but very importantly they are also the group who may have had poor vaccine responses and are more susceptible to disease... that's why they were first up for shots.

Last edited by blueash; 10-21-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post

Hmm, my daughter has been covid infected twice now and both times the effects were less severe than a common cold. Her cardiologist told her NOT to get the vaccination since she has plenty of antibodies/immunity AND he was concerned about any side effects to HER from the vaccine. She is doing fine, other than her employer trying to pressure her into getting vaccinated by making her get tested every week and paying more for her health insurance. By the way, her husband that suffers from some lung or sinus problem and has trouble breathing, had covid as well as her two children. None of them severe enough to go to the hospital. All tested positive for the virus and showed some symptoms.

Not trying to trivialize covid. Just saying that one size does not fit all. I bet that many of those rushing to get the booster, do not need it (yet).
Old 10-21-2021, 12:53 PM
Sage

I don't care who gets the booster. I was just interested in how they can consider mixing the vaccines. But, since I am not a medical professional I can only guess that they would not do anything to us that would hurt us..........
Old 10-21-2021, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

/// wasn't adding much value

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-21-2021, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
/// wasn't adding much value
...can be said for many other posts....
Old 10-21-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
...can be said for many other posts....
Like "here we go again" ??
Closed Thread

Tags
booster, fda, people, ages, authorized

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.