First Ebola Case in the US

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2014, 08:46 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by De Lis View Post
I would bet that he knew he had been exposed to Ebola before he even got on the plane and that he never told anyone that he just arrived from Liberia. I don't for one moment believe that such information would not be reported immediately.
His family member said on the Today Show that they were the ones that called the CDC to get this man the attention he needed. Now it is being reported that he was throwing up on the street, and that as many as 80 people could have been infected.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
His family member said on the Today Show that they were the ones that called the CDC to get this man the attention he needed. Now it is being reported that he was throwing up on the street, and that as many as 80 people could have been infected.

I am, because I am old, of the opinion that now is the time to do a lot of things to prevent an epidemic.

This is a very dangerous situation and one that no one is prepared for. I said several months ago that we needed to shut some doors.

If a black man with a foreign accent appeared in the emergency room in Texas, this would have been a good time to jump to conclusions or profile or ask some questions given the recent epidemic in Africa..
Old 10-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am, because I am old, of the opinion that now is the time to do a lot of things to prevent an epidemic.

This is a very dangerous situation and one that no one is prepared for. I said several months ago that we needed to shut some doors.

If a black man with a foreign accent appeared in the emergency room in Texas, this would have been a good time to jump to conclusions or profile or ask some questions given the recent epidemic in Africa..

Definitely the Dallas hospital is taking some blame in this case. If a large hospital in one of the largest cities in the country can't handle these cases, how would smaller hospitals in smaller cities react? It is very scary.

The best advice is stay off of airplanes, trains, cruise ships, or anywhere where large crowds gather, and don't use public restrooms.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Sage

I would bet a small percentage of the US population could put Liberia in the right continent on a blank world map.
But then that is cynical, and I do geography as poorly as anybody.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

what is blatantly obvious is theat even the most basic of preventative actions have not been formulated or communicated or put into effect.

There is no excuse....none at all. Those who are elected to represent and protect the USA and it's citizens have known of this potential for months. Given the exponential rise of infections in Africa it was obvious the next things that could happen....

The wait and see approach to protecting America is going to get many of it's citizens NEEDLESSLY put into harms way.

Inexcuseable incompetence! However the politicians are somewhat comforted by the usual lack of outrage and demand from we the people.....hence it is politics as usual.....we are fine let's get on with the important stuff and get re-elected.

How many have contacted their representatives including Obama and ripped them a new for sitting on their doing nothing?
I fully expect the black SUV's or helicopters to show in my yard any day now!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I would be interested in hearing from any ER nurses out there if any screening is being done when patients come in, such as asking if they have been out of the country in the last 21 days.
That ER Dr and staff dropped the ball when they discharged him when he first presented there. That allowed 2 more days of exposure.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
what is blatantly obvious is theat even the most basic of preventative actions have not been formulated or communicated or put into effect.

There is no excuse....none at all. Those who are elected to represent and protect the USA and it's citizens have known of this potential for months. Given the exponential rise of infections in Africa it was obvious the next things that could happen....

The wait and see approach to protecting America is going to get many of it's citizens NEEDLESSLY put into harms way.

Inexcuseable incompetence! However the politicians are somewhat comforted by the usual lack of outrage and demand from we the people.....hence it is politics as usual.....we are fine let's get on with the important stuff and get re-elected.

How many have contacted their representatives including Obama and ripped them a new for sitting on their doing nothing?
I fully expect the black SUV's or helicopters to show in my yard any day now!

It is unclear what the federal government can do to protect people here, since there is no vaccine available for Ebola. The president just last week issued orders for 5000 military to be sent to Liberia to build hospitals and try to stop the disease where it started, and authorized millions of dollars to be spent to stop the spread of this disease.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
It is unclear what the federal government can do to protect people here, since there is no vaccine available for Ebola. The president just last week issued orders for 5000 military to be sent to Liberia to build hospitals and try to stop the disease where it started, and authorized millions of dollars to be spent to stop the spread of this disease.

Stop it, how? It may already be too late. We need to do something real drastic RIGHT NOW.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
1. I understand there are in excess of 13,000 people from Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberaia with VISA's to visit our country. There are a number of African countries that bar folks from those countries to enter. The WH press secy says the President will NOT stop visitors from coming here.

2. Many, especially after the recent press, will try to come here for medication and care and will do it with whatever means possible. Insuring our borders are secure against this most recent threat would help.

Quick to react to some things.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Default Zero chance with no symptoms?

I read, I watch the new, I am educated. I hear the "scientific" fact that there is zero chance of getting it when no symptoms are showing.
1. What about a us citizen returning with no symptoms. He is excited to see his wife and they have sex the next morning. He leaves for the office and starts to get chills and fever on the way to work. Does that one hour really give her 100% chance of not being exposed if his symptoms turn out to be Ebola?
2. A West African citizen comes to USA to see a relative. His young nephew skins his knee playing and the uncle wants to take his mind off the boo boo, they start to play basketball and the man's sweat gets on the ball and then the hands of the young boy. Two hours later, the man goes into convulsions and is taken away by ambulance. If this man has Ebola, is this young boy really safe by two hours?
3. A woman returns from helping ebola patients in west Africa. The next week she returns and gets a sad phone call and is crying. Her husband wipes away her tears. He did not know he had a tiny paper cut. She starts to make dinner and gets chills. She starts to sneeze and the next morning other symptoms appear. Is he really sAfe by 30 minutes?
I can't believe it is 100% impossible to not get Ebola if symptoms are not showing. These hypothetical scenes would worry the crap out if me and they are all possible scenes with so many people exposed in these countries. Citizens or not, there needs to be a quarantine period before coming to / back to the USA from certain countries
Old 10-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
It is very clear what can be organized and done to better protect the people.

The basics....have yet to be addressed.

I am not interested in the political maneuvers like sending troops to Liberia.

I am talking about the complete lack of an organized...BASIC...screening to be utilized.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
It is very clear what can be organized and done to better protect the people.

The basics....have yet to be addressed.

I am not interested in the political maneuvers like sending troops to Liberia.

I am talking about the complete lack of an organized...BASIC...screening to be utilized.

This is never going to happen, so all anyone can do is to take personal responsibility and stay off of airplanes, cruise ships, trains, public restrooms, and any other places where large crowds gather. This is true not only for the Ebola outbreak, but also because of the threats ISSL is making.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddie101 View Post
I read, I watch the new, I am educated. I hear the "scientific" fact that there is zero chance of getting it when no symptoms are showing.
1. What about a us citizen returning with no symptoms. He is excited to see his wife and they have sex the next morning. He leaves for the office and starts to get chills and fever on the way to work. Does that one hour really give her 100% chance of not being exposed if his symptoms turn out to be Ebola?
2. A West African citizen comes to USA to see a relative. His young nephew skins his knee playing and the uncle wants to take his mind off the boo boo, they start to play basketball and the man's sweat gets on the ball and then the hands of the young boy. Two hours later, the man goes into convulsions and is taken away by ambulance. If this man has Ebola, is this young boy really safe by two hours?
3. A woman returns from helping ebola patients in west Africa. The next week she returns and gets a sad phone call and is crying. Her husband wipes away her tears. He did not know he had a tiny paper cut. She starts to make dinner and gets chills. She starts to sneeze and the next morning other symptoms appear. Is he really sAfe by 30 minutes?
I can't believe it is 100% impossible to not get Ebola if symptoms are not showing. These hypothetical scenes would worry the crap out if me and they are all possible scenes with so many people exposed in these countries. Citizens or not, there needs to be a quarantine period before coming to / back to the USA from certain countries

You know what you are talking about. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Gold member

Isolation of the existing Ebola patients is the only way to contain this epidemic.

Our government is not likely to isolate them using our troops there, or bar their entry into the U.S. Thru ports and airports. It's politically incorrect and morons would scream "racism" if a black man or Muslim from Africa or the Middle East were barred from entering the country as the ISIS strategy depends upon.

The enabling of terrorists to enter and quietly embed themselves across the country, waiting to detonate simultaneously in the next 9-11, nationwide, will continue. Ebola in the mix for petrifying and terrorizing defenseless citizens makes it more delectable to them.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:48 PM

He worked for FedEx and soon as he received his non-immigrant "visitors" visa, he quit his job, got on a plane, because now he had a U.S. son. He had every intention of being an overstay and was just waiting for his amnesty.
Our gov't stopped direct flights from Liberia a while back, so this guy simply went through Brussels (with a 6 hour layover), then to DC (with a 3 hour layover), and then on to Texas. He won't be the last now.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.