FL vs S TX Allergies

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2019, 01:28 PM
Default FL vs S TX Allergies

Has anyone moved to The Villages from S. Texas and if so, how do the allergies compare? S TX is often the top 10 pollen allergy WORST places, but I can not find much info on the area for The Villages.

Today alone, S TX is home to ALL 10 of highest airborne allergens ratings.....PLEASE tell me TV is better.

Would be MOST interested in hearing from anyone what the biggest allergens are there and the worst time of the year for them. Thanks much in advance.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

I came from Indianapolis area where tree, grass and mold pollens were high at various times of the year. Coming down here, I started sneezing, wheezing, etc and discovered I developed allergies to what is down here. Spring was always bad down here with the grass and trees blooming. I went to an ENT (Dr. Vaught) who did patch tests on me. Still allergic to trees down here (oak, cedar, pecan, white ash, bayberry, elm, pine, cottonwood, black willow, mulberry and sweet gum), all grasses, all weeds, mites and dander from roaches, dust mites and cats, and most molds.

Started allergy shots two years ago and thankfully they have been a huge help. My guess is that if you have allergies before coming here, you’ll develop allergies to whatever pollen is down here. Sorry.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:47 PM

Thanks much! While the news is not good, at least you have given me a good referral to get started with allergy shots. Here in S Texas, the Mountain Cedar is ESPECIALLY BAD.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Veteran member

I have lots a sneezing and wheezing whenever I come from Florida to our home in New Hampshire. They stop when I come to The Villages. When I have issues, I use Flonase for a couple of weeks and it usually clears right up.

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 12-29-2019, 05:14 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
Thanks much! While the news is not good, at least you have given me a good referral to get started with allergy shots. Here in S Texas, the Mountain Cedar is ESPECIALLY BAD.
Cedar Fever is difficult to alleviate for me.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-31-2019, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

OP, try using Google and search on 'central Florida allergies' you should get several results that will give you some info. Since it sounds like you have allergies, your current doctor may be able to give you some info also. On a side note, when we moved here from the Lehigh Valley PA, my "allergies" appeared to be worse, tried all of the standard solutions, nothing worked. Had the ENT do the skin test for allergies, all results negative! Paid for the food allergy blood test (not covered by insurance, $450) all results negative! Finally had a doctor that realized my GERD was not completely controlled, a change in medication made a big difference.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:26 AM
Gold member

We wintered in the Brownsville, Texas area 3 years and we didn't have any allergy problems. Arizona was worse than Texas. We have pollen allergies here in Florida, but not bad.
Closed Thread

Tags
worst, allergens, villages, allergies, ratings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.