Flu ???

Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
How’s everyone feeling? I was sick this past week & apparently I gave my germs to my husband. He’s feeling pretty awful. Both of us have visited Urgent Care. We were told there is a flu strain going around that the shot did not protect from. Hope the bug gets out of here.
I'm no Dr. but I think you just throw away money by going to the Dr. if you get the Flu, it's got to run it's cycle, like a cold. Once you get the Flu it'll be over with before any Dr. can cure it. Just my opinion! When you're sick your sick. It's a bad virus you get from other people just like getting a cold.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
I'm no Dr. but I think you just throw away money by going to the Dr. if you get the Flu, it's got to run it's cycle, like a cold. Once you get the Flu it'll be over with before any Dr. can cure it. Just my opinion! When you're sick your sick. It's a bad virus you get from other people just like getting a cold.
Mostly true but in us "older folks" the flu, if that's actually what it is, can lead to pneumonia and other bad stuff quicker than in young'uns and so it's better to be checked especially ones lungs when you feel really bad. Besides, if you have medicare and/or other health insurance you can't be throwing away too much money if any at all.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Well, I AM a doctor and IMHO your post is VERY bad advice.

Influenza is no joke especially among seniors. It is still the 8th leading cause of death and the only infectious disease still in the top 10 (In 1915, all the top 10 were infectious diseases). In 2017 it accounted for 55,672 deaths and you can bet the vast majority of victims were under 2 or over 70 years old.

Also, there is treatment available if you are seen within 48-72 hours after the onset of symptoms , oseltamivir(Tamiflu). You can't prescribe this for yourself.

So, best advice----get your flu shot, you won't get anything worse than a sore arm from inactivated vaccine. If you get flu like symptoms, or if it is present in other household members, see your doctor. He can do a rapid influenza A test from a swab and get you started on treatment. DON'T BE ONE OF THE 55,672!
Old 12-24-2019, 02:11 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
And make sure you wash your hands or at least use hand sanitizer after handling the menu in the restaurants. They are filthy.
As well as salt & pepper and condiments, edge of the table and chair backs. You almost have to bring rubber gloves with you to be safe.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
unless you see them coming from a handicapped stall. those have their own sinks, soaps, & paper towels.
Very few have their own sinks. I also discusses me to see men coming out of the stall and walking straight out the door back to their table or bar.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

Influenza is no joke especially among seniors. It is still the 8th leading cause of death and the only infectious disease still in the top 10 (In 1915, all the top 10 were infectious diseases). In 2017 it accounted for 55,672 deaths and you can bet the vast majority of victims were under 2 or over 70 years old.

Also, there is treatment available if you are seen within 48-72 hours after the onset of symptoms , oseltamivir(Tamiflu). You can't prescribe this for yourself.

So, best advice----get your flu shot, you won't get anything worse than a sore arm from inactivated vaccine. If you get flu like symptoms, or if it is present in other household members, see your doctor. He can do a rapid influenza A test from a swab and get you started on treatment. DON'T BE ONE OF THE 55,672!
Thanks for your informative post and good advice. The last time I had flu, I didn’t care if I lived or died. I was that sick!
Old 12-24-2019, 06:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:

I have bad asthma and get my flu shot every year. I resent people who do not get a flu shot for *other than* medically valid reasons. If I get the flu regardless, I’m pretty sure I’ll end up in the hospital.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Sorry, but the statistics do not agree with your thinking. I post this NOT to argue with you, but to ensure those that are in the "high risk" group (age related) realize HOW many people die each year in the US alone from "flu related illnesses".

How Many People Die From The Flu Every Year In The US?
Old 12-24-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!!!! I have watched HEALTHY, 19 yr old airmen in Basic Training for the USAF DIE of the flu! If it can KILL a 19 yr old, HEALTHY, kid of this age group, it is a HUGE risk to those of us over 65 (cause lets face it, the under 2 yr old group probably is not trolling "The Villages" forums!) UNLESS you have a medically specific reason NOT to get the shot, there are MANY lives you are placing at risk in a retirement community, not just your own.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:29 PM
Gold member

Both my husband & I got the flu shot end of Sept. since I have COPD, have had pneumonia, and a compromised immune system, it is Imperative that I spend the money & get medical attention. We’ll be happy when this bug is out of our system..wearing us down.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I go to the Dr as needed and hardly ever delay. I have tried to tough it out in the past without good results. My Doctor at Santa Barbara has made me swear off Web M.D. cause he's the Dr and I'm not. I've had Double Pneumonia twice and almost checked out the second time because I waited to long to go to the Dr.

The Flu shot definitely works. I usually feel a little miserable for about a day but not this year. It was a very small reaction for some reason.

Quitting smoking is the best thing I've ever done. It has helped keep the Flu away I think.

Last edited by Nucky; 12-25-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I go to the Dr as needed and hardly ever delay. I have tried to tough it out in the past without good results. My Doctor at Santa Barbara has made me swear off Web M.D. cause he's the Dr and I'm not. I've had Double Pneumonia twice and almost checked out the second time because I waited to long to go to the Dr.

The Flu shot definitely works. I usually feel a little miserable for about a day but not this year. It was a very small reaction for some reason.

Quitting smoking is the best thing I've ever done. It has helped keep the Flu away I think.
Merry Christmas, Nucky

I agree, stay off Web MD and the other pseudo-medical websites. When a patient brought an internet print out to his/her visit, I took it in my right hand, passed it to my left hand then into the trash can without even glancing at it. My response to their comment of "don't you even want to look at it" was----"The day that I have to rely on your 10 minutes of on line research is the day you should RUN, not walk away from me. Besides, who do you think these sites go to when they need content?" (Of course, they then edit the correct information ad nauseum until any similarity to the truth is purely coincidental.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Merry Christmas to you as well GE. It is fantastic to have you back on board again.

I forgot to thank you for the Bag O' Snakes several years back that you sent on Christmas! Thanks a Million!
Old 12-26-2019, 08:02 PM
Platinum member

I just want to remind ALL of us to please NOT
cough and sneeze into the air.

I continue to see Villagers doing so without covering their mouth.

Let’s all keep everyone else healthy during cold and flu season.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:05 PM

flu vaccines are based on previous years' strains, not current. I have the flu now from flying for Christmas and take 9000-12000 mg of liposomal vit C per day + liquid Zinc sprayed to the back of throat. Temp is 100.4. Stopped eating till this passes. Other than feeling a bit chilled, tired, and coughing up crud feel OK. The strain going around should last about 4-5 days. Take care and don't go out and spread it.
Closed Thread

Tags
flu, feeling, bug, told, strain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.