Flu shot

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2018, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Totally free? Or covered by your medical plan?
Most places it's 0 copay... so you do need some kind of medical plan or you will have to pay for it.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:55 AM
Gold member

There is so much disinformation out there. The flu vaccine cannot cause the flu. The virus in the vaccine is dead. Dead. Not living. You might get a reaction from it that has a symptom or two, but it's not the flu. There are other side effects from the nasal spray vaccine, including runny nose and muscle aches, but it's still not the flu. Read the CDC website - lots of good information there. I wouldn't go a flu season without taking the vaccine.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Most places it's 0 copay... so you do need some kind of medical plan or you will have to pay for it.
Thanks Dan. We are seasonal residents from Canada. I didn't think the flu shot would be totally free for everyone.
Your response tells me that we should have a flu shot in Ontario before we leave for Florida.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

No it does not matter where. The importance is that it is highly recommended for folks in our age group(s).

Statistics will show some percentage that do not get the shot experience nothing.
They would also show some percentage that get the shot still get the flu.

However the majority of us can claim we do not or did not get the flu because we did get our shot.
We get our shot every year as soon as available in early September. Typically no reaction. Maybe a little muscle soreness where they " bury" the needle that evening.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Totally free? Or covered by your medical plan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
BC/BS Federal Government; that’s what made it “free”.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
No it does not matter where. The importance is that it is highly recommended for folks in our age group(s).

Statistics will show some percentage that do not get the shot experience nothing.
They would also show some percentage that get the shot still get the flu.

However the majority of us can claim we do not or did not get the flu because we did get our shot.
We get our shot every year as soon as available in early September. Typically no reaction. Maybe a little muscle soreness where they " bury" the needle that evening.
I always make sure I get a flu shot.
My husband is not a "believer" and very healthy.
However I make him get a flu shot also; so he won't be a carrier pigeon.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
I always make sure I get a flu shot.
My husband is not a "believer" and very healthy.
However I make him get a flu shot also; so he won't be a carrier pigeon.
My husband won’t get a flu shot. He hardly ever gets sick. If I get my shot two weeks later than normal, I would undoubtedly end up with the flu and infecting everyone. How does that happen?????
Old 10-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Sage

I just had my flu shot today. My arm is a bit sensitive, but the whole thing is a piece of cake.
Much, much better than getting the flu!
Old 10-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Regarding people who get the flu "anyway" even though they got a flu shot:

1. you're either that unusual (but not unheard of) case that got a strain of the flu that the shot doesn't prevent
or
2. you were already infected with the flu, and were in the process of getting sick by the time you got the shot (and weren't symptomatic yet). Considering that most people get the shot during flu season, it stands to reason that most people who "get the flu anyway" were already infected and therefore the shot didn't do them any good at all.

That's why you should get it right before the flu season begins, not in the middle of it. Late August (really late, like the last week) through early-mid September is optimum, since flu season runs through October and November.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Got mine yesterday. Never even felt it. Arm a little sore today if I press on the injection site. Rather be safe than sorry.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:10 PM
Sage

Google tells us that the most cases are reported in February. Children and seniors are especially vulnerable.

"This time of year is called “flu season.” In the United States, flu viruses are most common during the fall and winter months. Influenza activity often begins to increase in October and November. Most of the time flu activity peaks between December and February and can last as late as May."

Also, viruses live on hard surfaces like countertops, door handles, computer keyboards and phones for up to 8 hours.
So washing hands frequently helps a lot.

Last edited by Barefoot; 10-11-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Google tells us that the most cases are reported in February. Children and seniors are especially vulnerable.

"This time of year is called “flu season.” In the United States, flu viruses are most common during the fall and winter months. Influenza activity often begins to increase in October and November. Most of the time flu activity peaks between December and February and can last as late as May."

Also, viruses live on hard surfaces like countertops, door handles, computer keyboards and phones for up to 8 hours.
So washing hands frequently helps a lot.
Washing hands with regular soap (or normal mundane liquid dish detergent like Palmolive) is good. That antibacterial stuff is not a good idea for regular use. I carry liquid soap with me to my job, because I work with the public, and with money all day, and have to wash my hands a few times during each shift. The antibacterial stuff makes my skin peel. Plus everyone I know who uses it on a regular basis has freaky allergies. If you're significantly "at risk" for sickness (someone with heart or other organ diseases or transplant patients, or someone with AIDS, for example) then old fashioned alcohol-based wet naps will be safer than antibacterial soaps. Antibacterial will not only NOT prevent the flu, it could suppress your immune system and make you even more likely to get sick.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:59 AM

we went to Public. They give you a $10 gift card for the store for each shot.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Washing hands with regular soap (or normal mundane liquid dish detergent like Palmolive) is good. That antibacterial stuff is not a good idea for regular use. I carry liquid soap with me to my job, because I work with the public, and with money all day, and have to wash my hands a few times during each shift. The antibacterial stuff makes my skin peel. Plus everyone I know who uses it on a regular basis has freaky allergies. If you're significantly "at risk" for sickness (someone with heart or other organ diseases or transplant patients, or someone with AIDS, for example) then old fashioned alcohol-based wet naps will be safer than antibacterial soaps. Antibacterial will not only NOT prevent the flu, it could suppress your immune system and make you even more likely to get sick.
Good point about antibacterial soap.
I use Dawn to wash my hands because I'm a sucker for that baby duck commercial.

Last edited by Barefoot; 10-12-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonalChoice View Post
No flu shot for me since 25 years ago my husband got the flu shot at work, got the flu, and then passed it on to the entire family. He still has residual effects from that shot. No thanks! I'll take my chances with nature. P.S. I have not had the flu in almost 25 years, knock on wood.
DITTO!
Too many, IMHO, fall for the Big Pharma agenda of having everyone on medications from cradle to grave. I could go into a lengthy diatribe on the efficacy of flu shots here but what's the use? People are going to do what they want anyway and will not be deterred from their closely held beliefs, whether politics, religion or flu shots Most folks are just too lazy or clueless to do their own research. Taking an active part in one's own medical care is paramount to longevity. Anyway, the odds of a flu shot protecting one from a particular strain of the flu is [claimed to be] about 10%. AND, how do you know if you contracted a cold or genuinely had the flu? AND, how do you know (if you didn't have the flu) that it was a flu shot that protected you from contracting it? AND, if you had no shot and contracted the flu, how do you know if the shot could/would have protected you anyway? AND, on and on ad nauseum … now everone line up for his/her flu shot

Fred
Closed Thread

Tags
flu, shot, place, matter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.