Closed Thread
Old 12-27-2018, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffresh View Post
DITTO!
Too many, IMHO, fall for the Big Pharma agenda of having everyone on medications from cradle to grave. I could go into a lengthy diatribe on the efficacy of flu shots here but what's the use? People are going to do what they want anyway and will not be deterred from their closely held beliefs, whether politics, religion or flu shots Most folks are just too lazy or clueless to do their own research. Taking an active part in one's own medical care is paramount to longevity. Anyway, the odds of a flu shot protecting one from a particular strain of the flu is [claimed to be] about 10%. AND, how do you know if you contracted a cold or genuinely had the flu? AND, how do you know (if you didn't have the flu) that it was a flu shot that protected you from contracting it? AND, if you had no shot and contracted the flu, how do you know if the shot could/would have protected you anyway? AND, on and on ad nauseum … now everone line up for his/her flu shot

Fred
I cannot tell you how much I disagree with you on this issue.. Thousands of people died last year because of an unusually virulent form of influenza. The flu shot last year was not as successful as it usually is. But I am a strong proponent of traditional medicine and believe an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Just as a poster said the flu shot is safe for most people unless they have an allergy to something in it, like eggs. It is so important for older people and those with a compromised immune system to be vaccinated against the flu, and both forms of pneumonia available and Herpes Zoster, (Shingles).

Companies who manufacture drugs may need their profit margins reconfigured, but they still own the gold to keep us well. And if a for profit business has something we need, it is usually expensive. As we get older we get more vulnerable and more dependent on good medical care. Fact of life.

AND FRED...……. I just read all of your other posts. I agree with you I think on all of the rest. You are a smart person with good common sense.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-27-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
DITTO!
Too many, IMHO, fall for the Big Pharma agenda of having everyone on medications from cradle to grave. I could go into a lengthy diatribe on the efficacy of flu shots here but what's the use? People are going to do what they want anyway and will not be deterred from their closely held beliefs, whether politics, religion or flu shots Most folks are just too lazy or clueless to do their own research. Taking an active part in one's own medical care is paramount to longevity. Anyway, the odds of a flu shot protecting one from a particular strain of the flu is [claimed to be] about 10%. AND, how do you know if you contracted a cold or genuinely had the flu? AND, how do you know (if you didn't have the flu) that it was a flu shot that protected you from contracting it? AND, if you had no shot and contracted the flu, how do you know if the shot could/would have protected you anyway? AND, on and on ad nauseum … now everone line up for his/her flu shot
Fred, from your post I get the impression that you look down on anyone that gets a flu shot.
I agree that some seniors are over medicated.
However some of us have indeed done our own research, and decided to get a flu shot.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Fred, from your post I get the impression that you look down on anyone that gets a flu shot.
NOT SO … although I must confess to looking somewhat in disbelief at those who, at first blush, do not appear to do their homework - regardless of their ultimate conclusion on the issue! I am not advocating for OR against flu shots (though not for me or my wife - her choice also); I am advocating for personal responsibility and due diligence, I suppose. I have always tried, as a parent and grandparent, to do my due diligence regarding being a custodian. For example, I always draw up a signed medical power of attorney when we bring our granddaughters with us to TV for a stay. I have sent my two adult boys/men reams of info on vaccinations and countless hyperlinks to valuable articles on the subject. Then, ultimately their choice not mine (parents, today, are too busy to research much, I fear) This is just a small example of the responsibility I gladly assume for me and others under my custodianship. It certainly doesn't make me infallible but, I try my best. All I was saying, perhaps inadequately but certainly not judgmentally, is don't anyone blindly do as he/she is told; do your homework! Know everything about the issue before you even set foot in the doctor's office. A fantastic resource is merely a keyboard away

Fred
Old 12-27-2018, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Call me crazy, but it sure sounds like your posts are advocating against the flu shot. Personally, I think they save a lot of lives.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-27-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Home work done....50 years in a row.
Conclusion each year thus far....getta flu shot/pneumonia shot/shingles shot.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
NOT SO … although I must confess to looking somewhat in disbelief at those who, at first blush, do not appear to do their homework - regardless of their ultimate conclusion on the issue! I am not advocating for OR against flu shots (though not for me or my wife - her choice also); I am advocating for personal responsibility and due diligence, I suppose. I have always tried, as a parent and grandparent, to do my due diligence regarding being a custodian. For example, I always draw up a signed medical power of attorney when we bring our granddaughters with us to TV for a stay. I have sent my two adult boys/men reams of info on vaccinations and countless hyperlinks to valuable articles on the subject. Then, ultimately their choice not mine (parents, today, are too busy to research much, I fear) This is just a small example of the responsibility I gladly assume for me and others under my custodianship. It certainly doesn't make me infallible but, I try my best. All I was saying, perhaps inadequately but certainly not judgmentally, is don't anyone blindly do as he/she is told; do your homework! Know everything about the issue before you even set foot in the doctor's office. A fantastic resource is merely a keyboard away

Fred
And if it's on the internet it must be true lol

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-27-2018, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

Fred
Are you one of those who are against vaccinating children?
Old 12-27-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Are you one of those who are against vaccinating children?
SERIOUSLY??? I won't jump to any conclusion regarding your motivation for asking this leading question but is it really any business of yours what my belief system comprises regarding anything - other than what I've overtly stated on this board? I don't know you nor have I ever heard of you.

Fred
Old 12-27-2018, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Fred
Parents can and do consult medical doctors who are skilled in this kind of information. When I got cancer I didn't have the time to get a medical degree so I tried to find the best oncologist in our area in Ohio. Very glad I did.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
SERIOUSLY??? I won't jump to any conclusion regarding your motivation for asking this leading question but is it really any business of yours what my belief system comprises regarding anything - other than what I've overtly stated on this board? I don't know you nor have I ever heard of you.

Fred
It was simply a question.

Thank you.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
It was simply a question.

Thank you.
Fred doesn't post much. In sure once he gets to know you he will warm up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2018, 06:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Fred doesn't post much. I'm sure once he gets to know you he will warm up.
I think I would need reams of info and countless hyperlinks to valuable articles...before I believe that Chi.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:

Fred
I did my due diligence. First: I did a google search. I rejected site that appeared to have an emotional or political attachment bias or accepted advertising from "anti" anything groups (such as whale.to, breitbart, webmd, antivax (dot) org, etc.) I read actual medical studies from the National Institute of Health, the CDC, the Yale Medical school (since I live near Yale), and read all the patient information on a couple of the flu shots available.

Anti-pharma will ALWAYS reject pharmaceuticals, even if science accepts it and even if the science is correct. A specific drug manufacturer will ALWAYS reject alternative meds, even if the alternative is useful in treatment.

So - ignore what each side says about the other side, and tread cautiously.

When you do that, you come up with a result:

The flu shot is particularly useful for people at risk, it isn't foolproof, and if you were already infected before getting the shot, it won't be of much help (though it might reduce the symptoms once you get them).

The flu can kill people who are at risk. The vaccination can reduce that risk of death, reduce the need for hospitalization, reduce the odds of needing to take time off from work, and reduce the risk of long-lasting after effects.

I like the odds, so I take them. Just remember if the flu kills your wife, you can't blame big Pharma for it. You'll have only yourself to blame.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:34 AM
fw102807

I got the flu shot and a week later I got sick. I think vaccinating against known illnesses like shingles and pneumonia are fine. I think trying to vaccinate against the flu is like trying to pin down jello since they so often miss the mark. It is only semi effective.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:10 AM
Default Vaccination Is Not Immunization by Tim O

My doctor recommended this book so I could make an informed decision on whether to vaccinate or not due to family history of autoimmune disease. http://www.immunitionltd.com/dlbin/T...LDRENebook.pdf
Closed Thread

Tags
flu, shot, place, matter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.