Flu shot complications

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2020, 08:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

I just had my first flu shot yesterday. Normal dose. They kept me around to see how I would react. About 5 minutes after the dose I got a total body sweat, had a hard time breathing and swallowing. The pharmacist let me take off my mask, lie down and had an epipen ready. I'm not sure why this happened, but it went away after a few minutes. Arm pain and tiredness for a few hours, then all good.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:13 AM

The flu shot is important for older adults every season but never as important as this year. The extra strength and the regular strength are not made from the live virus so you cannot get the flu from them. The mild symptoms that might happen are from your immune system getting ready to fight the flu. I had the extra strength one about a month ago, it did not even burn when given. The only thing I noticed was a sore arm the next day but not anything different from when I do upper arm exercises that I have not done in a while. Take the shot and you will have better protection.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:32 AM

Call your doctor
Old 10-19-2020, 08:35 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I am new to TV (just over 55) and got the flu shot for the 1st time because I am here, and because I take care of elderly parents. And I will do it again. I had read all the CDC stuff, but was still wanting to hear from TOTV friends who I know will share their experiences generously and provide some additional perspective. I am not using this as "medical advice" and am actively engaged with my Dr. Again, thanks for the perspective. I agree with you all ... unless you know you are at risk for some reason, while the shot may have some minor side effects for some, is the right thing to do.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Have to laugh, & I’m not poking fun at you, but this sound a little bit like Covid19 to wear a mask & social distancing. Just believe what people are saying here or do just like some people are doing with the Covid19, take your chances. GET THE SHOT! I had no issues!
Old 10-19-2020, 09:15 AM
Default No issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillager1988 View Post
I am working on getting into my Dr, so please don’t mistake this post as looking for healthcare from social media. I am wondering if anyone has heard of people having complications from this season’s flu shot. I believe I may be and know of one other person who was diagnosed as such. It’s my first flu shot so trying to get perspective.
No issues ever over 20 years of these shots. Shots ranged from regular dose to high (65+) dose.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Got the flu shot for past 25 years. No problems. A sore arm for a short while but even this was rare.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:40 AM

Both my husband and I received it this year about two weeks ago at Publix - no problems. He complained of sore arm for a day or two, I had no issues other than a bruise (not uncommon for me). That being said, I just retired from active duty military, in the medical dept, and have been required to take them for the last 30 years, so definitely not my (or his) first.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:21 PM
Smile I had already gotten it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Have to laugh, & I’m not poking fun at you, but this sound a little bit like Covid19 to wear a mask & social distancing. Just believe what people are saying here or do just like some people are doing with the Covid19, take your chances. GET THE SHOT! I had no issues!
Thanks for your note, and no offense taken. Just to be clear, I have already gotten the shot and had what I think are complications. That is the reason for my question. Wondering if others had anything similar. signed, Indiana Hoosier
Old 10-19-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Well, alrighty then! Let's get this thread back on track. If you don't mind, what symptoms did you have after the flu shot and maybe I can help you decide if they were related.
Glad this thread is back on track. Will keep it that way by not describing symptoms when I don't know the source and don't want to imply I am looking for a diagnosis. It was just about perspective and the generous commenters have done so beautifully.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:47 PM

I have never had the flu. I have never had the flu shot. Why would you have a flu shot injected into your body?
Old 10-19-2020, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothyimitchell View Post
I have never had the flu. I have never had the flu shot. Why would you have a flu shot injected into your body?
Unlike some random sarcastic witty person who actually DID respond by claiming your post doesn't deserve a response (how's that for irony?)...

the answer to your question is "risk reduction."

1. You'll be immune to certain strains of the virus (varies yearly).
2. You'll be at lower risk of infection by other strains of the virus (varies yearly).
3. You'll be at lower risk of severe infection by strains that #1 and #2 don't cover.

That is why you would get a flu shot.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Unlike some random sarcastic witty person who actually DID respond by claiming your post doesn't deserve a response (how's that for irony?)...

the answer to your question is "risk reduction."

1. You'll be immune to certain strains of the virus (varies yearly).
2. You'll be at lower risk of infection by other strains of the virus (varies yearly).
3. You'll be at lower risk of severe infection by strains that #1 and #2 don't cover.

That is why you would get a flu shot.
Thank you.
I wasn't sure if my response was sarcastic or witty enough, thanks for confirming it
Old 10-19-2020, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Two heavy and one light in our group of three. Very slightly sore arms. Quick in and out at Publix and each got a ten dollar gift certificate.
This was my first flu shot ever and I didn't know to ask if I was receiving a senior dose of the flu vaccine. I was vaccinated at Publix. Do they automatically give the senior dose to anyone they consider a senior?
Old 10-20-2020, 10:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillager1988 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Just to be clear, I have already gotten the shot and had what I think are complications. That is the reason for my question. Wondering if others had anything similar. signed, Indiana Hoosier
Thank you, if you want to call it an issue Yrs. back for 2 yrs. in a row I had an excruciating headache the day after I got the flu shot so I didn’t get another flu shot for 3 or 4 yrs. so when I decided to get another flu shot I told the Dr. about headache & he told me to take 2 Pain killers. Never had any problems since!
Closed Thread

Tags
flu, shot, complications, season’s, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.