Flu shot complications

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2020, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

My mom, 94, has gotten a flu shot every year since they have had it. She has seldom if ever been sick and she was a high school nurse until she retired. There is a compounding effect over the years, same for my dad. so for those of you who might be skeptical, there are some longer term benefits, but not the goal so not studied nor advertised. I get flu shots every year as well, and the only shots I had reactions to were the ones I had before going overseas during my military school years.

sportsguy
Old 10-18-2020, 07:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

none
Old 10-18-2020, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills3186 View Post
You also have to consider that in fall and winter, when people get the flu shot, there is increased illness like common colds. So sometimes it's coincidental. After 25 years in medicine, the common misconceptions I saw were that people thought it would prevent stomach flu or the common cold. Influenza is almost always solely respiratory, accompanied by pretty good fever, bad headache, cough and body aches (it doesn't). An allergic reaction such as hives can be managed with Benadryl, otherwise not much can be done for any other side effects.
you were doing so well until the last sentence. If you are having an allergic reaction with hives to an injection DO NOT depend on benadryl to treat yourself. Get real help immediately. Real allergic reactions to injections can be life threatening and progress rapidly from an itchy throat to full anaphylaxis with extremely low BP and airway closure. Anaphylaxis is extremely, extremely, rare to flu shots. It can be safely given to people with egg allergies which used to be a reason not to vaccinate.

Passing out after getting a shot is not evidence of an allergic reaction as lots of people, including those who are not anxious or needle-phobic can get light headed with a shot.

You 100% cannot get influenza from a flu shot. There is no active virus in the vaccine. You might get influenza but it would be from someone to whom you were exposed, not the shot.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:54 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

I got the flu shot right when I was getting a cold. But I had no issues.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:53 AM

I had the senior flu vaccine and 2nd part of Shingrix on the same day, thought I had Rocky Mountain yellow spotted fever for about 36 hours but it went away. I’ve always had a reaction to the flu shot but it cleared up in a day or so
Old 10-19-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillager1988 View Post
I am working on getting into my Dr, so please don’t mistake this post as looking for healthcare from social media. I am wondering if anyone has heard of people having complications from this season’s flu shot. I believe I may be and know of one other person who was diagnosed as such. It’s my first flu shot so trying to get perspective.
My wife and I both had flu shots last month with no ill effects.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
I am working on getting into my Dr, so please don’t mistake this post as looking for healthcare from social media. I am wondering if anyone has heard of people having complications from this season’s flu shot. I believe I may be and know of one other person who was diagnosed as such. It’s my first flu shot so trying to get perspective.
I had no problems at all with the Quadra alert extra powerful over 65 vaccine, and it didn’t hurt at all.

It’s is not at all uncommon for people who get flu vaccines to feel a little head-achey and body-achey for a day or two. Most don’t, but it’s not unusual. This is your body fighting the flu and developing antibodies. It’s nothing to worry about and no reason to see your doctor.

There are other possible side effects that are rare and where you might need prompt medical care. That’s why everyone who gets a vaccine has to fill out a questionnaire first about if they have had any side effects before or if they have any allergies. It is also why you are supposed to wait around for twenty minutes after the injection: in case you respond with a strong allergic reaction. Clearly that didn’t happen.

I hope you feel better soon. I’m going in for a big pneumonia vaccine today. I had my final shingles vaccine last summer.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:47 AM

My wife and I are snowbirds, got the "regular" dose from our local medical center up north. No issues other than a sore arm for her. I've had a persistent *low grade* sore throat for nearly a week. No temp or other complications. We've both had the annual flu shot for more than 20 consecutive years.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:01 AM
Default Flu Shot

Quote:
Husband and I both had senior version. Aside from soreness no issues. As we both have health problems we don't want to risk getting.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:01 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Two heavy and one light in our group of three. Very slightly sore arms. Quick in and out at Publix and each got a ten dollar gift certificate.
I got flu and pneumonia shots at the same time at CVS. $10. Gift card, little bit of a sore arm and I was on my way. No after effects
Old 10-19-2020, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
you were doing so well until the last sentence. If you are having an allergic reaction with hives to an injection DO NOT depend on benadryl to treat yourself. Get real help immediately. Real allergic reactions to injections can be life threatening and progress rapidly from an itchy throat to full anaphylaxis with extremely low BP and airway closure. Anaphylaxis is extremely, extremely, rare to flu shots. It can be safely given to people with egg allergies which used to be a reason not to vaccinate.

Passing out after getting a shot is not evidence of an allergic reaction as lots of people, including those who are not anxious or needle-phobic can get light headed with a shot.

You 100% cannot get influenza from a flu shot. There is no active virus in the vaccine. You might get influenza but it would be from someone to whom you were exposed, not the shot.
Great post and 100% accurate!
Old 10-19-2020, 07:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapbas View Post
I had the senior flu vaccine and 2nd part of Shingrix on the same day, thought I had Rocky Mountain yellow spotted fever for about 36 hours but it went away. I’ve always had a reaction to the flu shot but it cleared up in a day or so
Seriously???? You thought you contacted a rickettsial disease from a flu shot? Did it come with a free tick? I'd adjust your web browser to filter out garbage
Old 10-19-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
The CDC is upfront about common and less common side effects. I had a sore arm from my shot. If you are having a severe reaction, you may want to consider going to urgent care, unless you can get in to see your doctor right away.

Seasonal Flu Shot | CDC
Thank you for posting the CDC website. Saved me from looking it up and posting it.

I look at the flu vaccine as a good gamble. 1 chance in over 1 million to have a severe adverse reaction vs. a good chance of coming down with the flu without it. No brainer!!
Old 10-19-2020, 08:03 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Seriously???? You thought you contacted a rickettsial disease from a flu shot? Did it come with a free tick? I'd adjust your web browser to filter out garbage
was your response necessary or helpful? the point of the post was the reaction....why, why is unkindness so prevalent these days?
Old 10-19-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
was your response necessary or helpful? the point of the post was the reaction....why, why is unkindness so prevalent these days?
Yes, it was.

Do you want people to read that they can get Rocky Mountain Spotted fever(minus the yellow part, whatever that was) from a flu shot????

The only reaction to a flu shot is a sore arm, everything else is a rarity. The point of the post was "the reaction", --what reaction?

Despite all the obsession with COVID-19, seasonal influenza A kills 30-80 thousand Americans EVERY YEAR, and most can be prevented with a flu shot. I don't like to read anything that would discourage people from getting one

I think it is best to correct erroneous posts as quickly as possible.
Closed Thread

Tags
flu, shot, complications, season’s, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.