Flu Shots Now Available

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2020, 07:57 AM

My PC Dr recommended mid Oct and not to get flu shot earlier.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:07 AM

No it is not. Medical and prescription covers it. I'm a pharmacy technician for CVS located inside Target.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
No, Shingrix is not covered by Medicare.
Fortunately Mrs. Guy and myself were covered by our Medicare Advantage Plan. We did have a co-pay of $1.00 for each shot.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:09 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't want to start a stampede. I don't know anything about a shortage. But, I do know that, when the new Shingles vaccine came out, it was readily available, and I got it immediately. No waiting. But, within a few months, there was a 3 to 4 month waiting list for it. Apparently, companies who make these vaccines don't know what the demand will be.
They are two very different vaccines with different needs and availabilities. Manf. know that people of all ages are going to want the flu vaccine and prepare accordingly. Shingrix is mostly only for older adults. So a shortage of the latter has nothing to do with the former. Starting threads with talk about shortages in this current environment is not a responsible thing to do.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:16 AM

I'm a pharmacy technician for 12 years now and I get my flu shot as soon as we get them in. The shot last for about 9 months so there is no such thing as getting it to early. There is such a thing as getting it to late. It takes a week to be come 100% effective. We have all shots available pneumonia, shingles, high dose flu shot, etc. We do give a $5 coupon for Target for the flu shot. No appointment needed so I hope to see you soon.

Last edited by bjd0105; 08-15-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
Thank you! Mind sharing how much the Shingrix shot cost with the Good RX coupon? We paid $45 with our insurance.
You did great. My wife has Medicare and plan F supplement from Florida Blue, neither would pay for the vaccine. Walgreens price was $182, Goodrx brought it down to $155.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:27 AM
Sage

Last edited by Barefoot; 08-15-2020 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Post deleted
Old 08-15-2020, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I am surprised that no one on here suggested that they MANDATE flu shots for all.
Last flu shot I had was over 50 years ago. Never had the flu. I use the wipes provided at the stores to wipe down the shopping cart and I wash my hands frequently during the day. No flu and no colds. But, thank you for getting the flu shot. It means you won't get last year's flu.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd0105 View Post
I'm a pharmacy technician for 12 years now and I get my flu shot as soon as we get them in. The shot last for about 9 months so there is no such thing as getting it too early.
Orange Blossom Baby says "by the end of flu season you'll have been vaccinated for 7 months; and your vaccine will be less than 50% as potent as it was when you got it."

But she goes on to say: "If the CDC says this year's going to be an early season - then get it ASAP. It really depends on the year."

Last edited by Barefoot; 08-15-2020 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added a comment.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Special snowflakes who never get sick and never get vaccines aside...

The flu vaccines are year-specific. Last year the CDC recommended holding off a little while to get it, because they were expecting the season to start late. The vaccines don't just have a shelf life (how long they can stay in the vial before it has to be thrown away) but they also have a half-life (how long it takes to wear off in your body until it's only 50% as effective as it was when it was injected).

Yes it can last up to 9 months. But it starts losing its effectiveness several months sooner than that. If the flu season is expected to begin in November, and last as late as March, and you get the shot this week - in mid August..

It means it'll be 2 months in when flu season starts. By the end of flu season you'll have been vaccinated for 7 months and your vaccine will be less than 50% as potent as it was when you got it.

If you wait til September or early October, you stand a much better chance of enduring the flu for the entire season.

ON THE OTHER HAND - if the CDC says this year's going to be an early season - then get it ASAP.

It really depends on the year.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
My wife got shot one of Shingrix this week at Walgreens. Good Rx coupon saved us $27.00. The pharmacist said the flu shots were arriving this week. I think this year sooner is better for getting the flu shot. BTW, the pharmacist said it's safe to get Shingrix, then flu shot, then Shingrix 2, and still be able to get a Covid vaccination when they become available.
That's exactly what I initiated yesterday with Shingrix #1. Flu shot end of Sept or 1st week of Oct. Then Shingrix #2 on/after 14 October. Hopefully there will be a Covid vaccine available sometime in the late fall. Walgreens pharacist/shot-person that schedule is her plan as well (except she's already done the Shingrix). She was more than willing to give me the flu shot yesterday but thought it was just a wee-bit early. To each there own of course - good idea to get one when it's convenient, not after the flu has already started making it's rounds of TV.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
They are two very different vaccines with different needs and availabilities. Manf. know that people of all ages are going to want the flu vaccine and prepare accordingly. Shingrix is mostly only for older adults. So a shortage of the latter has nothing to do with the former. Starting threads with talk about shortages in this current environment is not a responsible thing to do.
I didn't say there was a shortage. I have no evidence of a shortage. I made my own decision to get the shot, based on my own opinion and experience. Other people should make their decision on their own. Sorry if I confused or misled anyone.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:57 AM
Default Publix $10 gift card with Flu Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
do they still offer the $10 gift card?
Yes, Publix is offering the $10 gift card again this year.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Special snowflakes who never get sick and never get vaccines aside...

The flu vaccines are year-specific. Last year the CDC recommended holding off a little while to get it, because they were expecting the season to start late. The vaccines don't just have a shelf life (how long they can stay in the vial before it has to be thrown away) but they also have a half-life (how long it takes to wear off in your body until it's only 50% as effective as it was when it was injected).

Yes it can last up to 9 months. But it starts losing its effectiveness several months sooner than that. If the flu season is expected to begin in November, and last as late as March, and you get the shot this week - in mid August..

It means it'll be 2 months in when flu season starts. By the end of flu season you'll have been vaccinated for 7 months and your vaccine will be less than 50% as potent as it was when you got it.

If you wait til September or early October, you stand a much better chance of enduring the flu for the entire season.

ON THE OTHER HAND - if the CDC says this year's going to be an early season - then get it ASAP.

It really depends on the year.
"On the other hand" even if the shot is weak and may not even work for this year's flu, it makes folks feel all warm and fuzzy and SAFE, just like some of the worthless masks that I have seen folks wear. Happy people are healthy people.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:23 AM
Sage

Last edited by Barefoot; 08-15-2020 at 09:37 AM. Reason: I changed my mind about posting this comment.
Closed Thread

Tags
flu, shot, toilet, months, ago

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.