Food for Thought instead of the Cancer Cells

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
A lot of what is posted in this thread has merit. Always eat better and more healthy. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Limit your intake of red meat. Exercise more. Avoid medicines and treatments when practical and proven alternatives are available. Always explore and understand alternatives to suggested treatments and make the best decision for you.

However unless you are a qualified MD and have worked in the field of cancer treatment please refrain from providing medical advice based on anecdotal or the "I heard or I know someone" information. Based on the demographics of the people reading this forum I am sure there are people today making life decisions based on what their trained, experienced and qualified doctor is telling them. To create some false hope based on rumor and innuendo is not only harmful but criminal.

I know the flamers will start throwing arrows based on this post, but think first about how you would want treatment if you or your child or loved one was diagnosed with this horrible disease.
One way to tell if you're dealing with a professional qualified MD, a professional would not give medical advice on an internet forum without knowing that persons medical history.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Sage

It's been said that, "Conventional treatment can save your life!". Great, but what happened to the philosphy of: "We're all going to die sooner or later anyway, so why worry about it?" That's what I often heard when I advocated eating a healthy diet of natural whole foods. Many who are now all-concerned about people being mislead never spoke up.

So, which is it? We're all going to die sooner or later anyway, so why worry about it? Or, we should worry about it.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
One way to tell if you're dealing with a professional qualified MD, a professional would not give medical advice on an internet forum without knowing that persons medical history.
Well, I can tell you that this is a "Medical and Health Discussion" board for the average person. So it's expected that you will hear lots of opinions. It's not a discussion board for MDs.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Sage

People - RELAX - the post is titled "food for thought". There was never any advice or indication you should abandon your doctor and subscribe to this treatment. I for one appreciate all points of view and take from them what I feel is valuable. Geez - lighten up already. This is for sharing ideas, not medical advice and I would certainly hope we are all grown up enough to understand that. Stop already with the picking on each other.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:44 AM

Thanks for the excellent link Gracie......I hope everyone hears ya.
Nothing more to be said on the subject...all you can do is try and help.

LatDoc
Old 04-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
I am a cancer survivor. I recommend following gomoho's posted advice to prevent future cancer, and considering all treatments if you do already have cancer. Prevention is key to staying healthy, which makes that advice so helpful and important.
Glad to hear you are a survivor, quirky. I too think there was a lot of good advice in the opening post, even though it may not have been presented perfectly. Prevention is, indeed, key to staying healthy.

I did a little research this morning about the immune system and I found what I think is the right story. The truth is somewhere in between the two confusing stories that were presented.

The immune system is extremely important in the beginning, when cancer is in its beginning stage. It's at that point that our immune system should nip it in the bud, so to speak. Once cancer becomes established and progresses, that's when it disguises itself so it's difficult for the immune system to recognize.

Supposedly, we have all had cancer many times and just never knew it because our immune system took care of it. What did it say in the Daily Sun today? I think it said that about 77% of all cancers occur after age 55. Isn't that interesting? It's interesting because it's well known that our immune system gradually gets weaker and weaker as we get older.

So it's more important than ever to eat a healthy diet as we get older and live a healthy lifestyle in general.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Platinum member

I agree!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Veteran member
Default Interesting fact about immune system

I found it interesting to learn that the majority of our immune response is in the gut. That is why it is so important to take the probiotics and digestive enzymes, especially as we age. You got it right VPL when you said that our immune system needs more support as we age, as we have years of toxic buildup that challenges us and uses up more and more of our energy to handle it. And we are finding out daily that our environment is continually getting more and more polluted with all the "progressive" products that keep getting marketed etc.
It really is amazing how resilient we all are, having lived this long!

LW888
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post

So it's more important than ever to eat a healthy diet as we get older and live a healthy lifestyle in general.
I Totally agree VP. It's also important to live with joy and zest, do your favorite things, have lots of friends, try to help others whenever possible, smile a lot, and hug a dog.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
It's been said that, "Conventional treatment can save your life!". Great, but what happened to the philosphy of: "We're all going to die sooner or later anyway, so why worry about it?" That's what I often heard when I advocated eating a healthy diet of natural whole foods. Many who are now all-concerned about people being mislead never spoke up.

So, which is it? We're all going to die sooner or later anyway, so why worry about it? Or, we should worry about it.

Why don't you research the life of George Beverly Shea?

We heard last evening on the t.v. news that he had passed. Age 104.
What a GORGEOUS singing voice. There was a short segment of Mr. Shea singing "How Great Thou Art"......just beautiful. I used to love to listen to him sing on the Billy Graham shows years ago.........

He probably didn't watch every morsel he ate........but led a life of faith.
Your faith can be in anything you wish it to be.......but we all have to believe in a higher power of some sort. It isn't food.....believe me.
I would say a peaceful heart and soul ranks high on the list........

http://news.msn.com/obits/george-beverly-shea-graham-crusade-singer-dies?ocid=ansnews11
Old 04-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Why don't you research the life of George Beverly Shea?

We heard last evening on the t.v. news that he had passed. Age 104.
What a GORGEOUS singing voice. There was a short segment of Mr. Shea singing "How Great Thou Art"......just beautiful. I used to love to listen to him sing on the Billy Graham shows years ago.........

He probably didn't watch every morsel he ate........but led a life of faith.
Your faith can be in anything you wish it to be.......but we all have to believe in a higher power of some sort. It isn't food.....believe me.
I would say a peaceful heart and soul ranks high on the list........

http://news.msn.com/obits/george-beverly-shea-graham-crusade-singer-dies?ocid=ansnews11
I went to a book signing about 3 or 4 years ago at All Booked Up. A man had written a book of religious poems and he was 106 years old. He was eager to show me how good his memory was so he asked me to follow along in the book as he recited one of his long poems. And he said he was in good health. He must be close to 110 by now.

I don't know how much religion helps but it certainly doesn't hurt. One book I read said that it's not so much the religious aspect as it is belonging to a support group. If you belong to a church, you have a support group. In place of that, one could belong to a club which would supposedly accomplish the same thing.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
I went to a book signing about 3 or 4 years ago at All Booked Up. A man had written a book of religious poems and he was 106 years old. He was eager to show me how good his memory was so he asked me to follow along in the book as he recited one of his long poems. And he said he was in good health. He must be close to 110 by now.

I don't know how much religion helps but it certainly doesn't hurt. One book I read said that it's not so much the religious aspect as it is belonging to a support group. If you belong to a church, you have a support group. In place of that, one could belong to a club which would supposedly accomplish the same thing.
If he's still among the living at 110, God bless him. Interesting story.

I "hear you" re the support group as something similar was just said at the Boston service for the Boston Marathon victims, attended by President Obama and his wife, the Gov. of Massachusetts and the Mayor of Boston plus hundreds upon hundreds of people..........and a long list of clergy from various denominations, who all gave short but nice messages.

Cardinal Patrick O'Malley, the Capuchin Monk, mentioned how people rose above themselves when they ran to help the victims, etc..........everyone mentioned all the kindnesses performed by the residents of Boston.........it was "community coming together" in deed..........not just in words. Ditto re Obama's speach and Gov. Deval Patrick.

One can also just have a private faith in a higher power, however one perceives that to be......we obviously believe in God.....but believing does transcend one's personal ego...........none of us are perfect nor superior to others.

Kindness always works, as does compassion and in my opinion, quiet good deeds combined with little kindnesses does tend to make for a peaceful life.........and perhaps a long life. In other words, a restful soul.

Like having a good conscience. So many people desperately need a kind smile or gesture...........and it takes such little effort on our part.

I found this to be true when my mom was in the skilled nursing home.
When I could no longer communicate with her, I'd talk to the ones who still could speak.......and push them out into the garden......as often they had no visitors. Visiting or volunteering at a nursing home is very rewarding.

In a nutshell I had a crash course in geriatrics and the process of aging.
Not to mention the years preceding that end stage, when I had her at my home under my care.

On another thought, for those who want to live forever, sometimes "forever" isn't a pretty sight. Lots do live to very old age but are not in the tip top shape they might be in at age 70 or younger.

I don't dwell on how long I will live.......although I do have longevity on both sides, with no cancer.........just take it a day at a time.

When we get pictures of our grandbabies, which is often, that really makes us happy and is good for our immune system. Anyone who has ever seen a newborn infant and marveled at its perfection......KNOWS that God exists and that a higher power will oversee things.

Maybe when tragedy happens, it was their time to go on to something better......I truly do not believe death is anything to fear. Thus, we should all live life and not be so concerned with what we eat nor don't eat.

Live a little. Have another piece of that birthday cake.

If you can, reserve the book by Dr. Eben Alexander at your local library.
It's just one of many you could choose from.......but I think you would enjoy it. "Proof of Heaven". You don't have to BELIEVE it.
Just read it. He's very scientific minded. A neurosurgeon....
Old 04-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
If he's still among the living at 110, God bless him. Interesting story.

I "hear you" re the support group as something similar was just said at the Boston service for the Boston Marathon victims, attended by President Obama and his wife, the Gov. of Massachusetts and the Mayor of Boston plus hundreds upon hundreds of people..........and a long list of clergy from various denominations, who all gave short but nice messages.

Cardinal Patrick O'Malley, the Capuchin Monk, mentioned how people rose above themselves when they ran to help the victims, etc..........everyone mentioned all the kindnesses performed by the residents of Boston.........it was "community coming together" in deed..........not just in words. Ditto re Obama's speach and Gov. Deval Patrick.

One can also just have a private faith in a higher power, however one perceives that to be......we obviously believe in God.....but believing does transcend one's personal ego...........none of us are perfect nor superior to others.

Kindness always works, as does compassion and in my opinion, quiet good deeds combined with little kindnesses does tend to make for a peaceful life.........and perhaps a long life. In other words, a restful soul.

Like having a good conscience. So many people desperately need a kind smile or gesture...........and it takes such little effort on our part.

I found this to be true when my mom was in the skilled nursing home.
When I could no longer communicate with her, I'd talk to the ones who still could speak.......and push them out into the garden......as often they had no visitors. Visiting or volunteering at a nursing home is very rewarding.

In a nutshell I had a crash course in geriatrics and the process of aging.
Not to mention the years preceding that end stage, when I had her at my home under my care.

On another thought, for those who want to live forever, sometimes "forever" isn't a pretty sight. Lots do live to very old age but are not in the tip top shape they might be in at age 70 or younger.

I don't dwell on how long I will live.......although I do have longevity on both sides, with no cancer.........just take it a day at a time.

When we get pictures of our grandbabies, which is often, that really makes us happy and is good for our immune system. Anyone who has ever seen a newborn infant and marveled at its perfection......KNOWS that God exists and that a higher power will oversee things.

Maybe when tragedy happens, it was their time to go on to something better......I truly do not believe death is anything to fear. Thus, we should all live life and not be so concerned with what we eat nor don't eat.

Live a little. Have another piece of that birthday cake.

If you can, reserve the book by Dr. Eben Alexander at your local library.
It's just one of many you could choose from.......but I think you would enjoy it. "Proof of Heaven". You don't have to BELIEVE it.
Just read it. He's very scientific minded. A neurosurgeon....
Senior.

You have such a good heart.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:

1) One can also just have a private faith in a higher power, however one perceives that to be......we obviously believe in God.....but believing does transcend one's personal ego...........none of us are perfect nor superior to others.

2) Kindness always works, as does compassion and in my opinion, quiet good deeds combined with little kindnesses does tend to make for a peaceful life.........and perhaps a long life. In other words, a restful soul.

3) Like having a good conscience. So many people desperately need a kind smile or gesture...........and it takes such little effort on our part.

4) Visiting or volunteering at a nursing home is very rewarding.

5) On another thought, for those who want to live forever, sometimes "forever" isn't a pretty sight. Lots do live to very old age but are not in the tip top shape they might be in at age 70 or younger.

6) I don't dwell on how long I will live.......although I do have longevity on both sides, with no cancer.........just take it a day at a time.

7) When we get pictures of our grandbabies, which is often, that really makes us happy and is good for our immune system. Anyone who has ever seen a newborn infant and marveled at its perfection......KNOWS that God exists and that a higher power will oversee things.

8) Maybe when tragedy happens, it was their time to go on to something better......I truly do not believe death is anything to fear. Thus, we should all live life and not be so concerned with what we eat nor don't eat.

9) Live a little. Have another piece of that birthday cake.
In the past, I sometimes suspected that the word "preaching" carried an off-color connotation. But now I see it as an encouragement to do better. "Preaching" is actually a good thing! Let's see if I got the essence of all the above points:

1) Faith in God is good, it transcends one's ego.

2) Be kind, compassionate and do good deeds.

3) Have a good conscience.

4) Be a volunteer.

5) Be careful what you wish for; living forever isn't always pretty.

6) Don't get ahead of yourself by thinking you will live forever; take it one day at a time.

7. Having a baby is good for your immune system and reinforces the existence of God.

8) Live your life and don't fear death; eat what you like.

9) Live a little; have another piece of cake.

I take it that you are preaching all of the above as a cancer prevention regimen. It's not exactly the same as what I would "preach" but I will defend your right to have your own opinions.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 PM

GracieGirl, Thank you for posting what you did. I don't think it's fair for others to make a cancer patient feel it's their lifestyle that they have this horrible disease. They have enough to cope with just trying to stay alive.

Linda
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.