Food for thought re nitrites and msg

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Sage
Default Food for thought re nitrites and msg

Food for thought re nitrites and msg in processed meats.....

What is "processed meat" exactly?
Here's the difference:

Fresh meat usually has only one ingredient: The meat! Fresh meat is refrigerated and has a very short shelf life (just a few days, usually). It's usually packaged in simple wrappers, with no fancy logos or color printing.

Processed meat has many ingredients and is usually packaged for long-term shelf life. These products almost always contain sodium nitrite, the cancer-causing chemical additive that meat companies use as a color fixer to turn their meat products a bright red "fresh-looking" color. Processed meat products include:

* Bacon * Sausage * Pepperoni * Beef jerky * Deli slices * Hot dogs * Sandwich meat (including those served at restaurants) * Ham * Meat "gift" products like Christmas sausages * Meat used in canned soups * Meat used in frozen pizza * Meat used in kid's lunch products * Meat used in ravioli, spaghetti or Italian pasta products, etc.

Unless it says "NITRITE FREE" on the front label, you can bet it's made with cancer-causing sodium nitrite!,

(Hint: You will only find nitrite-free meat products in two places in the grocery store: 1) In the fresh meat section where you can buy freshly-ground hamburger, for example, and 2) In the freezer, where you can find "natural" meat products that are nitrite-free.

What are the dangerous chemicals in processed meats? Sodium nitrite is one of the most dangerous chemicals added to processed meats. Please be aware:

* You MUST read the ingredients list to find the sodium nitrite! Meat product companies do not list this ingredient on the front of the package.

* Even ORGANIC meat products and NATURAL meat products can still contain sodium nitrite. So read the labels to be sure, and avoid buying any meat product made with sodium nitrite.

* Be especially careful of food for kids! Virtually all packaged food products containing meat and marketed to children contain sodium nitrite! (Read the ingredients to protect your children.)

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is a second dangerous chemical found in virtually all processed meat products. MSG is a dangerous excitotoxin linked to neurological disorders such as migraine headaches, Alzheimer's disease, loss of appetite control, obesity and many other serious health conditions. Manufacturers use MSG to add flavor to dead-tasting processed meat products.

Essentially, dead meat products look and taste dead (because they are), so meat companies use the following three ingredients to make them look fresh and taste interesting:

Sodium nitrite makes the meat look red and fresh. (But it promotes cancer.)

MSG makes the meat taste savory. (But it causes neurological disorders.)

Processed salt makes the meat taste more interesting. (But it causes nutritional problems and high blood pressure.)

On top of these three chemical additives, processed meats also contain saturated animal fat that is often contaminated with PCBs, heavy metals, pesticide residues and other dangerous substances.

Protect yourself and your family. Processed meats promote cancer. There is simply no question about the scientific validity of that statement, and anyone who disagrees with it is either working for the meat industry or hopelessly behind the times on their nutritional research.

The processed meat industry, of course, insists that processed meat is perfectly healthy and that you can eat all you want. It's no surprise, of course: Big Tobacco insisted that cigarettes aren't really bad for your health and that nicotine isn't addictive, either. No industry is really willing to admit that its products are hazardous .
Old 06-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

never a problem we do not nitrite or msg any food always fresh from our back yard and our piggy and cow is raised by family
Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If it preserves the meat, it will pickle your innards. So in our house we don't have too many hot dogs, brats and lunch meat.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran member
Default The Aporkalypse

It's coming, it's coming........The Aporkalypse OOOPS! we missed it....

Yom Kippur & Aporkalypse - The Colbert Report - 2012-26-09 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

On a more serious note: Some say yea, some say nay, about the same number of each.

http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-...-to-fear-bacon

The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason not to Fear Bacon

In other words, your spit contains far more nitrites than anything you could ever eat.

When it comes to food, vegetables are the primary source of nitrites. On average, about 93% of nitrites we get from food come from vegetables. It may shock you to learn that one serving of arugula, two servings of butter lettuce, and four servings of celery or beets all have more nitrite than 467 hot dogs. (2) And your own saliva has more nitrites than all of them! So before you eliminate cured meats from your diet, you might want to address your celery intake. And try not to swallow so frequently.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post

Yom Kippur & Aporkalypse - The Colbert Report - 2012-26-09 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

On a more serious note: Some say yea, some say nay, about the same number of each.

In other words, your spit contains far more nitrites than anything you could ever eat.

When it comes to food, vegetables are the primary source of nitrites. On average, about 93% of nitrites we get from food come from vegetables. It may shock you to learn that one serving of arugula, two servings of butter lettuce, and four servings of celery or beets all have more nitrite than 467 hot dogs. (2) And your own saliva has more nitrites than all of them! So before you eliminate cured meats from your diet, you might want to address your celery intake. And try not to swallow so frequently.

It is nice to have a scientist around the forum. I will run out and get some Nathans hot dogs for lunch tomorrow. Thank you Keeping it Real.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
never a problem we do not nitrite or msg any food always fresh from our back yard and our piggy and cow is raised by family
You are most fortunate to be able to do that....and no doubt a lot healthier.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If it preserves the meat, it will pickle your innards. So in our house we don't have too many hot dogs, brats and lunch meat.
Same here.....just an occasional barbecued grilled "dog"....in summertime.

Very rarely, a BLT if hubby craves one, with minimal bacon on it.

Gave up lunch meats/cold cuts a long time ago.........
Try not to buy processed foods.......

People would be surprised though that all the convenience foods that folks do rely on "in a pinch" such as STAUFFERS which make very large casseroles of things like macaroni and cheese, lasagna, etc. and smaller packages of spinach soufflé.....all have msg in them.........

This is why, although it does take longer..........I like to make things from scratch from fresh ingredients.

But, again, "food for thought" as nitrites and msg are all around us at the supermarket.

It seems that the three "enemies" nowadays are indeed nitrites, msg and also high fructose corn syrup...... the food manufacturers are finally listening to the people who have protested that they do not want any of it in their foods..........still I have to be careful as oftentimes the msg can be disguised under a different name.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
It is nice to have a scientist around the forum. I will run out and get some Nathans hot dogs for lunch tomorrow. Thank you Keeping it Real.
DITTO. I second that thought........

We have Nathans hot dogs in the freezer plus the big fat German hot dogs from Omaha Steaks and Kansas City Steaks.

Nice big plump franks.........great on the grill......."occasionally", in moderation.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post

The Chris Kresser report was very interesting............thanks for sharing.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Food for thought re nitrites and msg in processed meats.....

What is "processed meat" exactly?
About 99% of all meats sold in the supermarket are processed because processing starts when the animals are still alive. Animals are usually put in confined pens and grain-fed to faten them up before slaughter. So the saturated fat is marbled in the meat to make it juicy.

In nature, animals feed naturally on all kinds of plants and don't ever eat grain. This provides a natural balance of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids. And they don't get antibiotics, hormones, pesticides or herbicides.

In addition, meats do not contain fiber and usually displace healthier plant foods that do contain fiber. So meat is not the most nutritious choice.

Animal protein in general tends to promote cancer, heart disease, and other degenerative diseases. This is said be the reason why Adventists have a life expectancy of 88 while the rest of us Americans only have a life expectancy of 78. Adventists are vegetarians.

Last edited by Villages PL; 06-24-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Yes KIR, thanks for the report, and thanks to SC for starting the conversation. The research findings regarding food are so confusing and contradictory that one doesn't know what to believe. My opinion has always been eat what I enjoy, with an attempt to eat a balanced and healthy diet and don't over do anything.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
A little known fact is that saliva causes stomach cancer, but only if swallowed in small quantities over a long period of time. Only kidding of course. As I get older, I try to eat a vegetarian diet as often as I can, because it helps me lose weight and I feel better when I eat lower on the food chain.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Yes KIR, thanks for the report, and thanks to SC for starting the conversation. The research findings regarding food are so confusing and contradictory that one doesn't know what to believe. My opinion has always been eat what I enjoy, with an attempt to eat a balanced and healthy diet and don't over do anything.

I think you are definitely "on to something" as far as your opinion to eat what you enjoy, with an attempt to eat a balanced and healthy diet without overdoing anything........

...........or else, how can we all co exist with family and friends who show us their hospitality, or vice versa?

To balk at various food groups offered, especially when a guest in someone's home, is often seen as contrary. Too rigid doesn't work.

All things in moderation.........a bit from all food groups, would equal your "balanced and healthy diet without overdoing anything"......

Just good old common sense.........which we'd all be wise to follow.

Food nit pickers aren't very popular when dining in or dining out with family and friends.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Default What about our children, g'children and great g' children

Hello,

I found this topic and the replies quite interesting.
Initially I thought I would respond more factually than I am, instead I am responding from my gut. Seemed like the responses were from individuals who spoke about them selves and not the next generation. That is where we differ.

I have children, g'children and great g'children. My concern is what type of food are they eating now and will be eating. How is the food they are eating now effecting them now and in the future.

Autism is on the rise, and their are studies showing it is related to the food they are eating, lactose intolerance is also on the rise due to the additives given to the cows to produce more milk, and the list goes on.

Check out baby formula i.e. Similac and look at the ingredient list. Our d-in-law may not be able to breast feed for a variety of reasons, our sons went and checked out baby formulas. You don't need to make a special trip to do this, do it the next time you go to the supermarket.

I am not worried just for my family, but for all children. Who would wish another parents child to be ill?

I could go on and on. I am worried what we are doing not only to the food we are consuming, but for the environment we have created.

I am old, and what I choose to eat I know what the possible effects will be. Children do not have that control over what they are given to eat, now the effect the food may have on them.

Vicar of Dibley
Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICAR OF DIBLEY View Post
Hello,

I found this topic and the replies quite interesting.
Initially I thought I would respond more factually than I am, instead I am responding from my gut. Seemed like the responses were from individuals who spoke about them selves and not the next generation. That is where we differ.

I have children, g'children and great g'children. My concern is what type of food are they eating now and will be eating. How is the food they are eating now effecting them now and in the future.

Autism is on the rise, and their are studies showing it is related to the food they are eating, lactose intolerance is also on the rise due to the additives given to the cows to produce more milk, and the list goes on.

Check out baby formula i.e. Similac and look at the ingredient list. Our d-in-law may not be able to breast feed for a variety of reasons, our sons went and checked out baby formulas. You don't need to make a special trip to do this, do it the next time you go to the supermarket.

I am not worried just for my family, but for all children. Who would wish another parents child to be ill?

I could go on and on. I am worried what we are doing not only to the food we are consuming, but for the environment we have created.

I am old, and what I choose to eat I know what the possible effects will be. Children do not have that control over what they are given to eat, now the effect the food may have on them.
You may be correct about autism being caused by diet but I have read a series of articles lately that is linking it to "old eggs". Since young people are frequently putting off having children and their eggs become old, much the same way that Down's Syndrome is more frequent in births of women over 35.

They were puzzled about autism occurring frequently, but not always,to families that were well educated and affluent and found that those same families were waiting to give birth later, after they were financially established and their educations were complete.

I am not saying that this is a fact, but there are many contributing factors to a lot of things. And some we just don't know the answer to, or even the right questions.

I would like to live another hundred years to find out if my pet theories pan out..

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.