A "Gambler’s Guide" :) to Booking a Vaccination with Publix

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2021, 06:11 PM
Default A "Gambler’s Guide" :) to Booking a Vaccination with Publix

This post is based on personal experience and those of others interested in helping people get vaccinated at Publix.

The website:
COVID-19 Vaccine in Florida | Publix Super Markets

Current notice on the Publix website: “All available COVID-19 vaccine appointments have been claimed. There is tremendous demand for the vaccine and a limited supply, so check back on Wednesday, January 27 after 6:00 a.m. EST (5:00 a.m. CST) for your next opportunity.”

Big picture:
1. Be prepared to wait up to two hours if you get lucky enough to get to a sign-up page. On Wednesday 1/20, I was lucky enough to be let in at 6:45. The 24,400 spots were fully booked at about 7:45 with 250,000 applicants that day, according to Publix. The odds: 10:1. Many did not get to the sign-up page at all.

2. On Friday, 1/22, I was let into a sign-up page at 7:39. There were 48,900 sign up spots available, with more than 300,000 users. The odds improved to 6:1, but most users did not get to the sign up site again.

3. Scan the Publix locations. Decide how far you are willing to travel and possibly even select stores before you attempt to register. If you think about it during the sign up process, you will lose time. If you’re a data nerd, consider population per store and income per capita of the county.

All Stores with vaccines are listed here:
https://www.publix.com/covid-vaccine...store-list.pdf

4. Given the difficulty of getting out of the queue and onto a sign up page, use multiple browsers. Be prepared to abandon all but one browser if you get to the sign up page and concentrate on filling out that form as quickly as possible.

Details:
1. Spinning the wheel: Sign onto the website a little before 6 and hit the refresh button frequently. THE INITIAL TIMING IS CRITICAL, since only a small number of people are let into the sign-up portal at a time. Here is an official twitter statement from Publix on that point:
“We are limiting the number of people in our reservation system to ensure our site remains stable. Our waiting page refreshes every minute while more people are let in to book their appointments.”
Translation: If you don’t get in initially, there will probably be a long wait if you get in at all.

2. Refreshing: Assuming you are not taken to a sign up page, Publix says not to refresh the page manually. Their twitter statement is “We do not recommend refreshing the page manually.” It is followed by the boilerplate above: “We are limiting the number of people in our reservation system to ensure our site remains stable. Our waiting page refreshes every minute while more people are let in to book their appointments.”

The implication is that the original queue is maintained, but some stories point to wild luck.

3. Counties: The list of counties on the main page will indicate if appointments are still available, but that’s an indicator only. The counties will never turn into live links. It’s frustrating, but unavoidable, to see the status go from “Appointments Available“ to “Fully Booked” while you’re in the queue.

4. Entry Notification: If and when the system allows you to register, you will be notified by a rectangular icon just BELOW the county list. DO NOT MAKE THE (COMMON) MISTAKE of waiting for an invitation on the county list or for a county to turn into an active link.

5. Personal Information: You are then asked for personal information. You should rush through this, since your spot is NOT CONFIRMED UNTIL YOU GET ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE SIGN UP PROCESS. Since you may re-enter this section if your selected time slot isn’t available, auto-fill helps.

You are asked for the usual personal information: name, address, phone, birth date, and email address (where they send a confirmation). You are also asked if you if you are a “Publix Associate and have a Medicare number. Say “no” to save time, since you can present it at your appointment.

6. County: The county selection is next. Caveat: Once you pick a county, you are then asked to pick a store within that county, and a date and a time for that store. The selection of the county is the first part of a string. Be prepared to be taken back to this point if your selection is unavailable by the time you get to the end of the registration process. Think about ways to improve your odds. What is the least likely county, store, date and time others would choose? For example, we noticed that counties and stores in the panhandle tended to have greater odds.

7. Store: The store selection is next. Again, the closest is not necessarily the one most likely to have available spots.

8. Time and date: You will then be offered a date. Consider choosing a date farther out or one you think is least selected. Same for appointments times, which comes next. Remember you will ultimately compete against others within that same time slot.

9. Health questions: You are then asked 14 health questions. Here is the exact list to allow you to move through the list quickly. NOTE: They should not be all “NO” answers.

H1. Emergency Contact Name
H2. Emergency Contact Number
H3. Are you 18 years of age or older? - YES!
H4. Do you have a cold, fever, or acute illness?
H5. Do you have any allergies to medications, food, or any vaccine? If yes, please list.
H6. Are you allergic to chicken eggs or egg products?
H7. Are you allergic to Thimerosal (cleaning products or contact lens solution)?
H8. Have you ever had a serious reaction after receiving a vaccination?
H9. Have you ever been diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome?
H10. Do you have a seizure, brain, or nerve problem?
H11. Are you the patient? If no, enter your name and relationship to the patient. - YES!
H12. Are you attending a clinic? If yes, please enter location.
H13. Would you like to be notified about other immunizations?
H14. Have you already received an initial dose of the COVID-19 vaccine?

10. Review and confirm: You then review and confirm the information you entered.

11. Consent form: Not done yet! You are then asked to acknowledge a consent form.

12. Not a Robot: You are then asked to prove you are not a robot. This may involve the usual stop lights and buses but is only asked once in case you have to repeat the process.

13. Submit! Only at this point does the system decide if the selected time is still available.

14. Confirmation page: If you made the cutoff, you are presented with a confirmation page which has a “print” option towards the top. Printing is recommended, since the emailed confirmation will only have a code on it for privacy reasons.

15. Time not available: If your time was not available, you are taken back to picking a county (step #6 above). Note that you will have to enter the medical information over again! SUGGESTION: Think about the strategy for retries (county, store, date, time) to make repeated selections as efficient as possible.

16. Additional people: If you do get a confirmation, you have the opportunity to “Book another appointment” at the bottom of the appointment confirmation page.
You now start at step 5 (see above) by entering the second individual’s personal information. You do not have to wait in the queue again.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:50 PM
Gold member

Great post but probably only a very small percentage of the people trying to get on could handle this process.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

Reminds me of booking concert tickets to a real popular artist.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

No thanks. No guarantee that second dose will be available. Next vaccine will be on the market in a few months. When places are begging for people to make appointments you will know the next dose will be given on time.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:52 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default publix

Got on and completed my first shot. 2nd one in 2 weeks.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
No thanks. No guarantee that second dose will be available. Next vaccine will be on the market in a few months. When places are begging for people to make appointments you will know the next dose will be given on time.
I'm afraid you've been believing too much of the negative news out there. Publix has the vaccine for anyone who already got their first dose. Appointments are automatically set for 30 days after that first shot. Same time, same store. Very easy process at the pharmacy, no lines and professionally administered.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 01-26-2021, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Covid shots at Gainesville VA for over 75 352ex103755 call 8am to 6pm git right though , appointment for Thursday More vaccine at villages clinic on feb 10 I don’t want to chance it , the girl said they’ll take younger if they don’t fill up
Old 01-27-2021, 07:59 AM

I sincerely want to thank gpk111 for posting this thread and providing the guide and advice for using the Publix website to book a Covid vaccination appointment. I printed the guide and list of stores, got prepared and knew what to expect. This morning my wife and I were able to book an appointment. Thank You so much !!!! The process was exactly as described. Good luck to everyone who couldn't get in this morning.

Last edited by SIRE1; 01-27-2021 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typing error
Old 01-27-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I sincerely want to thank gpk111 for posting this thread and providing the guide and advice for using the Publix website to book a Covid vaccination appointment. I printed the guide and list of stores, got prepared and knew what to expect. This morning my wife and I were able to book an appointment. Thank You so much !!!! The process was exactly as described. Good luck to everyone who couldn't get in this morning.
Thank you for the feedback. Trying to encourage people to take a little time to increase their odds for their own peace of mind.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:57 AM
Default January 27 Update

I plan to continue to try to help people sign up. Feel free to PM me with specific thoughts or questions.

I was able to sign more people up today (Wedn 1/27). The system opened shortly before 6 AM and all counties were “fully booked” by 7:28. St John's started out with about 2,000 doses and was "fully booked" at 7:12. Volusia County, the next best County to the south, started with about 3,200 doses and was "fully booked" by 7:05.

Several new observations that may be helpful to those still trying to book (next window is Friday, 1/29):

1. Publix made 2 very helpful modifications to the website: They added a counter to the top of the page (see attached) so you know it's automatically refreshing and when. It refreshes every minute. They also added the number of appointments left in each county. Both are helpful improvements.

You also know that you are eligible to sign up (left the queue) when you don't see the counter any more. At that time, scroll down to the bottom and click the bold "BOOK AN APPOINTMENT" box (see attached).

2. I used 3 browsers on two devices. I got in on one device at 6:15 and was able to sign up a number of people. I never got in on the other two browsers.

3. After booking the first person, I was shown a red circle with a line through it at the "SUBMIT" button at the very end. No explanation. Tried different times and different pharmacies without success.

I then closed that browser down completely and just for kicks reopened it. After a minute, it allowed me to sign on, even though the other two browsers on the other device were still queued. I heard similar mysteries from others.

Morals:
a. Try to use different browsers on different devices. It seems the entry to the sign up portal is random at this time.

b. If you should ever get that red circle at the end of the application to "Submit," just reload the page and (ouch) start over.

For gamblers:
If you see plenty of spots available and the system is not letting you sign up, consider starting over. That's against Publix advice, but you may have little to lose by getting into a different (and new) queue.

Obviously, it's best to hedge your bets with multiple devices.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Congrats to those that got in.....this was our first try and was unsuccessful. Will try again on Friday. Any conclusions on to refresh or not refresh and wait for the site to refresh?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-27-2021, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Got on and completed my first shot. 2nd one in 2 weeks.
Two weeks is too soon. Did you receive the Moderna vaccine? The second shot should be given at least 28 days after the first shot. The grace period for minimum is 24 days after the first shot.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:23 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpk111 View Post

2. I used 3 browsers on two devices. I got in on one device at 6:15 and was able to sign up a number of people. I never got in on the other two browsers.

3. After booking the first person, I was shown a red circle with a line through it at the "SUBMIT" button at the very end. No explanation. Tried different times and different pharmacies without success.

I then closed that browser down completely and just for kicks reopened it. After a minute, it allowed me to sign on, even though the other two browsers on the other device were still queued. I heard similar mysteries from others.

Morals:
a. Try to use different browsers on different devices. It seems the entry to the sign up portal is random at this time.

b. If you should ever get that red circle at the end of the application to "Submit," just reload the page and (ouch) start over.

Obviously, it's best to hedge your bets with multiple devices.
I think Multiple Devices is a big part of the problem. The system may show 50,000 users but it's actually 50,000 browsers. If everyone just used ONE, it would probably work a lot better. It's like buying up all the toilet paper to keep others from getting some.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
I'm afraid you've been believing too much of the negative news out there. Publix has the vaccine for anyone who already got their first dose. Appointments are automatically set for 30 days after that first shot. Same time, same store. Very easy process at the pharmacy, no lines and professionally administered.
I am still in the real world, not fixed to my TV. Don’t need the news, unlike many I am watching in real time. All 3 facility’s that I am with don’t have the second dose starting this week. Trying to get whatever is available, the what is shipping and when is vague at best.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:53 PM

GPK111: Thanks for mentioning autofill. I set it up in Chrome after googling the how to. I didn't need it for the Publix site (didn't get in) but was on another site where contact info was needed. I was unexpectedly surprised when the information automatically appeared in the appropriate boxes.

Tags
page, time, county, sign, asked

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.