Genetics Article in New York Times

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
In my opinion, lots of people fear death and that's why the churches are full of old people on Sunday. Otherwise, if they don't fear death, why would they dwell on the possibility of an afterlife? I believe they fear the possibility that they might actually go nowhere. And they desperately want to feel as though they will be going somewhere nice after they die. They fear the alternative.....nothingness.

If no one dwells on their health or diet, who are all those people shopping at health food stores? Who are all those people buying health and diet books from the health-section at the book store? Why does the Daily Sun have at least 3 weekly columns on diet and health? Why are there so many health clubs in The Villages? Why is there a Medical and Health Discussion board? Why do people get degrees in nutrition and diet (dietitions)? Why are schools trying to serve healthier school lunches?

I believe that a good healthy diet, along with some exercise, is an affirmation of life or a celebration of life. And if there is a God, God will approve of his creation being treated with care and respect.
I believe as the Bible says your body is a temple and should be treated as Holy. The great debate is what is a healthy diet? every expert will have something different to say. For me a "healthy diet / lifestyle" is what makes me the healthiest, it may or may not make you the healthiest.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Email Reported As Spam

This quest for the Fountain Of Youth is as old as man. People live longer now because of advancements in health care, sanitation, etc. (i.e. essentially better education)

Some folks are very vain and so will continue to pursue this quest and will spend a fortunate attempting to achieve it.

For me I continue to abide by the Greeks suggestion on moderation. I apply it to my eating habits, exercise, etc. I welcomed and have accepted every stage of my life's journey. I believe genetics plays a pivotal role. I am more concerned and focused on my personal relationships and with the spiritual aspect of my life .

Perhaps after all these years i am tired of the experts prediction, retractions new predictions, etc and believe my fountain of youth resides deep within me and those I have come to love.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
This quest for the Fountain Of Youth is as old as man. People live longer now because of advancements in health care, sanitation, etc. (i.e. essentially better education)

Some folks are very vain and so will continue to pursue this quest and will spend a fortunate attempting to achieve it.

For me I continue to abide by the Greeks suggestion on moderation. I apply it to my eating habits, exercise, etc. I welcomed and have accepted every stage of my life's journey. I believe genetics plays a pivotal role. I am more concerned and focused on my personal relationships and with the spiritual aspect of my life .

Perhaps after all these years i am tired of the experts prediction, retractions new predictions, etc and believe my fountain of youth resides deep within me and those I have come to love.
Words of wisdom. I like you because you do enjoy all things in moderation and can remember and appreciate good *Italian food which certainly was not vegan or vegetarian..........and yet it was actually loaded with these very same nutritious foods that health fanatics do choose as their main dietary staples.
*Ditto for Greek food and other Mediterranean cusines.

Your personal relationships and spiritual quest will add peace , enjoyment and longevity as you do have uppermost in your mind a good "balance".

Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
This quest for the Fountain Of Youth is as old as man.

You have, for me, wrapped it up and presented it beautifully.
My heartfelt applause!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I most certainly agree with you, Rubicon.

I don't fear death for myself. I worry about my Sweetie and Helene being left alone or thinking about life without either of them.

None of us are getting out of here alive. The pleasures of the table are so lovely that giving them all up seems wrong somehow. Moderation is the key, to me anyway.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Sorry guys but I don't quite remember exactly as it was soooooooo looooooonnnnnngggggg ago. What I did was very simple. The study the doctor completed was much more complex. Dr.Cecil whatshisname. I can't remember.
Since you are getting close to your day of departure for the drive to Florida with your son..........do you think you will get "withdrawal symptoms" from lack of connection to your computer?

Or, can you type on an I-Phone, I-Pad, etc. while traveling south?????
Or, do you have a laptop for the motels along the way????

Safe trip down............don't speed.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:

Well said.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Since you are getting close to your day of departure for the drive to Florida with your son..........do you think you will get "withdrawal symptoms" from lack of connection to your computer?

Or, can you type on an I-Phone, I-Pad, etc. while traveling south?????
Or, do you have a laptop for the motels along the way????

Safe trip down............don't speed.
A friend of mine is trying to convince me that I cannot live without an I-phone but this old horse is somewhat reluctance to learn new tricks. I am considering this option but want to think it over before the plunge.

I probably will be incommunicado on April 4th or 5th until the 7th or 8th of April.

Just four more days to freedom!!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.