» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 02:25 PM

Obamacare is one of the worst laws ever passed by Congress. But, I thought that one of the few provisions that most people like is that insurance companies cannot charge extra for people with a pre-existing condition.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Obamacare is one of the worst laws ever passed by Congress. But, I thought that one of the few provisions that most people like is that insurance companies cannot charge extra for people with a pre-existing condition.
///////////
Old 01-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Soaring Parsley

Under the Affordable Care Act, a marketplace plan cannot reject you or charge you more because of a pre-existing condition.

villagetinker, what you are saying applies to Medicare supplement plans and the open enrollment period. You are right about being aware of timing enrollment.

The person who asked the question here is only 53. The ACA may possibly help her and even though SHINE is for seniors, perhaps they can direct her to some help. SHINE sounds like a good organization that helps many.

While I choose not to engage in political discussions, I must say that the ACA as it applies to pre-existing conditions has been life- changing and sometimes even life-saving for many who would have had no access to decent coverage due to a pre-existing condition.

While I recognize the ACA probably could be improved, I hope we do not have to witness a return to what those with pre-existing conditions once had to endure if they needed an individual policy and were not yet old enough for Medicare.

Again, I really do choose not to engage in political discussions. I stepped back in here to try to help clarify the understanding of pre-existing conditions under the ACA. Those who were helped, or know someone who has been helped, by that part of the ACA should let their representation to Congress know that, no matter who got your vote.

Boomer

PS: That really was intended as a comment on insurance coverage and not partisan politics so please.....
Old 01-08-2017, 03:30 PM
Gold member

If the OP is disabled and cannot work at her previous profession, she may qualify for social security disability, in which case she would automatically be enrolled in Medicare, even though she is not of Medicare age.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl63 View Post
Hello just moved in to the Villages. Can anyone advise me on where a 53 year old can get medical insurance that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I had full coverage insurance when I was working, but I had a stroke in June of last year and haven't been able to work since so I no longer have medical ins. Any advise on where I should go or where to look?

Thank You!
I assume paying the premium that your employer paid is too expensive. Then the answer might be that their is no plan.

If you need a low premium then you need a high deductible plan. You need an insurance broker to help you.

As suggested see if you can qualify for Social Security disability and that will give you Medicare.

If you can get Obama care be sure to understand how much your deductible is and when the insurance company will pay the bill if you have not meet your deductible.

You might mention how much you want to pay a month for insurance and your ability to meet co pays.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:30 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
If the OP is disabled and cannot work at her previous profession, she may qualify for social security disability, in which case she would automatically be enrolled in Medicare, even though she is not of Medicare age.
Carla, thank you for adding this information on possible eligibility for "Early Medicare."
Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

The Open Enrollment Period is until January 31st. Then if you have a special enrollment period you may still be able to sign up for a plan. We are the Local Florida Blue office located here in The Villages. Any of our agents would be glad to help. You can reach the office at 352-259-0666..
Closed Thread

Tags
medical, insurance, year, advise, stroke