Getting to Sleep

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2015, 03:29 AM
Sage
Default Getting to Sleep

As you might be able to tell if you read the time I posted this, I wasn't able to get to sleep tonight. It doesn't happen every night, but it's been happening occasionally lately. I've never had any problem before...it's new to me.

Anybody have any sage advice or sure-fire miracle tricks to get to sleep when the zzzz's just don't want to come??
Old 02-25-2015, 04:50 AM
Sage

I will have nights when sleep can take its time coming. What seems to help is my iPhone and either Netflix or Naturespace. Will put on an older movie, I like old Poirots, and just lower the volume. The movie sort of becomes white noise and very soon, off to dreamland. I also use Naturscapes to drift off. For this you need headphones. One of the quickest sounds I use for sleep is a thunderstorm. Again, it becomes a type of white noise and soon....zzzzzzzzz.
There are many guided sleep apps that also get you off to dreamland.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
As you might be able to tell if you read the time I posted this, I wasn't able to get to sleep tonight. It doesn't happen every night, but it's been happening occasionally lately. I've never had any problem before...it's new to me.

Anybody have any sage advice or sure-fire miracle tricks to get to sleep when the zzzz's just don't want to come??
Unfortunately (for me) these are the hours that my head just will not shut down and I find myself playing the same old scene over and over, and it's usually something that has annoyed me either that day or in the past. I practice Yoga which encourages deep breathing, sometimes it helps and other times the mind just goes off on it's own.

By the way, I read somewhere that getting up and using a computer or watching TV is even worse for you because the bright light does something or other making it even more impossible to sleep.

If it's a really bad night and I am wandering around the house looking at the time, I do end up taking an Ibuprofen, just one, and that knocks me out.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-25-2015, 08:32 AM
Eternal Member

It does not happen often but when I get the toss and turn and turn and toss I eventually give up and get up and sit and read for a while. Then I try sleeping again.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
By the way, I read somewhere that getting up and using a computer or watching TV is even worse for you because the bright light does something or other making it even more impossible to sleep.
I've read/heard the same thing, but it is the one thing that actually helps me. If I don't fall asleep within 45 minutes of going to bad, I get up and play FreeCell or something for 15 minutes and I go back to bed and fall asleep.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:03 AM
Gold member

Learn a few simple mediations, say them to yourself over and over if you have. You will find that after some practice you won't even get thru the whole thing....you'll be sleeping.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Sage

I can recall every golf shot I hit on any given day. I don't know why because I forget names, dates and places all the time.
I replay the game in my head when I can't fall asleep. If I do get to the end of the round, I get up and watch TV.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:50 AM
Veteran member

Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time tea....
Old 02-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Gold member

Occasionally, I take a low dose OTC Melatonin pill. Seems to help me. Cardiologist once told me that he takes them too. A friend said a cup of Chamomile tea helps.

Recently I have found Aleve PM helpful if arthritis pain is problem.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
As you might be able to tell if you read the time I posted this, I wasn't able to get to sleep tonight. It doesn't happen every night, but it's been happening occasionally lately. I've never had any problem before...it's new to me. Anybody have any sage advice or sure-fire miracle tricks to get to sleep when the zzzz's just don't want to come??
I used to go to sleep around 2 or 3 AM and sleep for six hours.
My yoga teacher calls it "drunken-monkey brain", when you just can't turn off your thoughts.
I've tried sleep meditation/hypnosis tapes in the past, with little success.
But recently I've been very determined and experimented with a whole plethora of Sleep Apps.
I eventually found some sleep hypnosis tapes that are incredibly effective for me.
A lot of companies offer a free introductory sessions and if you like it, then you can download the full App.
I use my iPad and listen with headphones on. They lull me right off to dreamland, and I sleep longer.
I have three or four favorite Apps. Some are free!

Last edited by Barefoot; 02-25-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Sage

This is a tough question to answer when you stop to think that whole books have been written on this subject. But I'll mention a few things that have helped me to get good sleep.

What you do during the day paves the way:

I find that a daytime nap can be a good thing to restore energy but it shouldn't last more than about 20 to 30 minutes. And it shouldn't be too late in the day otherwise it may interfere with nighttime sleep.

Caffeine: Some people, like myself, are slow to process caffeine. But even if you're not, try not to overdo your consumption. And remember that caffeine is in chocolate too. It might be best to stay away from all caffeine after 12 noon.

Exercise: This is probably the single biggest thing you can do for yourself to help get a good night's sleep. Go for a long walk. You can split it up if you like with ten minutes in the morning after breakfast, ten minutes after lunch, and ten minutes after dinner. In addition to that, you should do some weight training every morning (at home is fine) for at least 15 minutes to a half hour. And you don't need a lot of equipment, just a couple of hand weights. I have a whole routine that includes some pushups, deep knee bends etc.

Snack: Sometimes I'll wake up at 4 am and can't seem to get back to sleep. In that case I'll go to the fridge and get a small slice of cooked sweet potato, usually no more than a 1/4 cup. That knocks me out for the rest of the night.

Meditation I use this all the time to get to sleep and it seldom fails. Although, it takes some practice and self discipline. Basically, you just need to clear your mind of everything and concentrate on your breathing.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
...I have three or four favorite Apps. Some are free!
You mind naming a few?
Old 02-25-2015, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
You mind naming a few?
I have one that is very effective. In fact I'm using it righ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 02-25-2015, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Worries do sneak up on us. I eat. And use ear phones to watch TV. Sweetie is used to the TV on with no sound.

Sometimes I get up and play cards on the computer. Only time I notice my back hurting at the computer is night time.

You may have your house too hot...or not warm enough.

Hope you find a way to sweet dreams.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
You mind naming a few?
I'll send you a PM later with my picks when I'm on my iPad.
Right now I'm on my laptop and I'm late for a lunch date.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.