Has anyone successfully negotiated lower prices for new hearing aids?

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2022, 02:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Well I think you’ll have to pay the price of the hearing aide you want but if this help, I hAve Phonax hearing aides & they were $13,000 I got them for $1,200. if that tells you anything!
Old 04-27-2022, 03:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
It's my understanding that nearly all hearing aids are made by one of 4 or 5 different manufacturers. That--plus the many many advertisements for hearing aids in area newspapers--leads me to believe that the profit margins on hearing aids is quite high.

Most of us have no qualms about negotiating the price of a new or used car, a boat, or a plethora of other high-prices, but for some reason I don't think may people do try to negotiate the price of health-care related items or procedures.

I"m curious if anyone here has (or knows anyone who has) negotiated the price of hearing aids?

I'm aware that both Costco and Sam's sell hearing aids for substantially less than most traditional hearing aid centers / stores, but Costco is too far, and my father didn't like the hearing aids he tried at Sam's Club.
Senators Warren and Grassley's Over-the-Counter Hearing Aid Act, which was signed into law over four years ago, removes outdated regulations blocking consumer access to affordable hearing aids and allows certain types of hearing aids to be made available over-the-counter to Americans with mild or moderate hearing loss.Oct 14, 2021
Old 04-27-2022, 03:15 PM

When I first got hearing aids, I went to the Internet. There, I found Hearing Planet. Hearing Planet will give you a price, then set you up with a provider. The provider I selected was Hearing Planet in Spanish Springs. Connect Hearing is very high-end. A qualified technician gives a thorough test from a sound-proof booth and tunes hearing aids to your specific needs. They provided me with Phonic aids which are, among the best, if not the best. So Hearing Planet did the price hauling, and Connect Hearing did the implementation.

Above all, remember there is a lot more than boosting sound. The hearing aid should be tuned to your specific disfunction and the kinds of environment you experience.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:41 PM
Default I wish I had seen this thread about 2 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
It's my understanding that nearly all hearing aids are made by one of 4 or 5 different manufacturers. That--plus the many many advertisements for hearing aids in area newspapers--leads me to believe that the profit margins on hearing aids is quite high.

Most of us have no qualms about negotiating the price of a new or used car, a boat, or a plethora of other high-prices, but for some reason I don't think may people do try to negotiate the price of health-care related items or procedures.

I"m curious if anyone here has (or knows anyone who has) negotiated the price of hearing aids?

I'm aware that both Costco and Sam's sell hearing aids for substantially less than most traditional hearing aid centers / stores, but Costco is too far, and my father didn't like the hearing aids he tried at Sam's Club.
I bought a pair of Phonak P70 aids about 2 months ago and I'm very pleased with the performance, but I paid $4000 for the pair. After reading this thread, I checked and I could have purchased the Kirkland Signature 10.0 aids at Costco for $1400. The Kirkland brand is manufactured by the parent company of Phonak and the 10.0 is a version of the Phonak P90, which is a step above what I bought.

My last set lasted for 10 years, so maybe if I ever need another pair, I'll remember to check out Costco.

One reason I didn't think of trying them this time is my father-in-law got his from Sam's Club and he's had nothing but trouble from them. People sitting behind him in church complain of the loud whistling sound they make.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:17 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Sams club
Old 05-01-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydavid View Post
If you are a Vet. check with the VA, you may qualify for hearing aids at no cost.
Only if you are deemed 100% disability.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Well I think you’ll have to pay the price of the hearing aide you want but if this help, I hAve Phonax hearing aides & they were $13,000 I got them for $1,200. if that tells you anything!
I have never seen Phonak at that price anywhere.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:12 AM

The place I went to stated that my cost would be hundreds of $ more then my plan would allow, I said I'm not paying anything out of pocket, take what my plan allows or I'm otta here. They didn't even blink. Said that's fine, we'll just charge what your plan pays.
So what the OP asked, you can negotiate.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,177 Times in 758 Posts

Costco seems to have the best deal on hearing aids, if you're a member, the hearing test is free. There is no pressure to buy anything.
Closed Thread

Tags
hearing, aids, price, negotiated, costco

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.