Have there been any deaths of those in vaccine trials?

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2020, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts
Default Have there been any deaths of those in vaccine trials?

The following comment is from a poster in another thread. I would have responded to this poster but that thread was CLOSED by the time I read it.........

Originally Posted by sooziesoul
You do realize that some people on which the vaccine has been tested, have died. I’ll let others try it first

Responding to the above post.......
I have heard of vaccine trials being put on hold twice because of adverse reactions.Those trials resumed shortly after.

I have not heard that people have died from the vaccine during trials. I have heard of one 28 year old man (who was a physician who was in contact with Covid patients) who participated in the vaccine trials who died. It was established that he was not receiving the vaccine but the placebo. The cause of his death was from complications of Covid-19.

Article here.......
28-year-old volunteer in AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine trial dies | Healthcare Finance News

Last edited by coffeebean; 10-24-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

I am pretty sure you will get a lot more dubious/fake reports from the anti-vaccine brigade, before researchers finally find an effective one.
Personally I will take the first marketed, proven vaccine, as soon as available.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
The following comment is from a poster in another thread. I would have responded to this poster but that thread was CLOSED by the time I read it.........

Originally Posted by sooziesoul
You do realize that some people on which the vaccine has been tested, have died. I’ll let others try it first

Responding to the above post.......
I have heard of vaccine trials being put on hold twice because of adverse reactions.Those trials resumed shortly after. Fingers crossed...

I have not heard that people have died from the vaccine during trials. I have heard of one 28 year old man (who was a physician who was in contact with Covid patients) who participated in the vaccine trials who died. It was established that he was not receiving the vaccine but the placebo. The cause of his death was from complications of Covid-19.

Article here.......
28-year-old volunteer in AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine trial dies | Healthcare Finance News
Anyone who becomes ill for any reason is an adverse event (not reaction) Not aware of anything so far traced to a vaccine. Adverse reaction at time of injection would bring things to a screaching halt. Clinical studies indicate People are reporting similar reactions as to a flu vaccine after injection.

The perfect is the enemy of the good. A vaccine that saves 10,000 people from a disease but risks 1 adverse reaction due the the vaccine is an acceptable risk for me.

Disclosure, I am a participant in a vaccine trial so my bias is clear. Early results show initial safety and effecacy hurdles of the protocol have been met as the studies continues.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Anyone who becomes ill for any reason is an adverse event (not reaction) Not aware of anything so far traced to a vaccine. Adverse reaction at time of injection would bring things to a screaching halt. Clinical studies indicate People are reporting similar reactions as to a flu vaccine after injection.

The perfect is the enemy of the good. A vaccine that saves 10,000 people from a disease but risks 1 adverse reaction due the the vaccine is an acceptable risk for me.

Disclosure, I am a participant in a vaccine trial so my bias is clear. Early results show initial safety and efficacy hurdles of the protocol have been met as the studies continues.
Many thanks to you for participating in the vaccine trials.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Many thanks to you for participating in the vaccine trials.
the story i read was a person from Europe who was involved in the trial died. it was discovered the person was given a placebo, therefore not treating his illness. i think it was the Daily Mail or Telegraph reporting

Last edited by PugMom; 10-25-2020 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-25-2020, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,143 Times in 829 Posts

Covid-19 vaccine volunteer in Brazil's AstraZeneca trial dies - CNN

Death in Brazil, no details released other than it will not result in any stopping of the vaccine trial. Read the article for a further discussion of the reasons.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post

Disclosure, I am a participant in a vaccine trial so my bias is clear. Early results show initial safety and effecacy hurdles of the protocol have been met as the studies continues.
Rizalina Ramos-Talag
When folks decide to:
STRADDLE THE VIRUS

Like accomplished geniuses, trained to the highest degree
They perfected the art of instilling fear for the world to see;
The melody resounded, though abysmal – lacking rhythm or grace
Reminiscent of requiem music captured solemnly in space.
The world saw the danger this man-made concoction would cause
It dictated when streets can be populated -- when activities are paused.
Virtual debates become the norm -- voting by mail is mandatory;
Closing all schools, churches, work areas – distancing is obligatory.
The odd part is they straddled the virus to control a nation
And powerfully projected utter dismay and total destruction.
Economic indicators should have gone down – but stayed strong
A leader united this nation – forging ahead, standing tall all along.
Straddling the virus will continue on through election time
Then these same folks unmask again --- singing “auld lang syne”.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:08 AM
Veteran member

My wife and I are involved in the 3rd phase of the Moderna vaccine trials. The day after my second shot, which was approximately 3 weeks ago, I developed a fever and some aches and pains. I told my wife I was going to sleep in another bedroom that night and not to get close to me, as while I was guessing it was from the shot, she has heart and lung issues so I didn't want her to get too close, just in case. At about 4:00 A.M. my fever broke. By morning I was feeling completely normal again. A week later we went elsewhere to get anti-body testing and I had strong anti-bodies for Covid. I obviously got the real thing but unfortunately my wife got the placebo. While I am happy that I am now protected I really wish that she were the one to have gotten the protection. So I am now both fairly happy for me but really sad for my wife. As Americans I think we should do our part. These studies are well controlled and I think quite safe. As aside, they are also almost fun to do.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Have there been any deaths of those in vaccine trials?

There are always deaths in any vaccine or drug trial. It's the job of the researchers to determine if the death was DUE TO the vaccine/drug, or INCIDENTAL to it.
A lot of this is determined by the study design as well.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:53 AM

Thank you for volunteering! More people volunteering, the faster they trials finish! I work in the Pharma industry so was excited to hear your story. THANK YOU!!
Old 10-26-2020, 07:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrown4399 View Post
Thank you for volunteering! More people volunteering, the faster they trials finish! I work in the Pharma industry so was excited to hear your story. THANK YOU!!
Not how trials work. Once chosen, the group is fixed. The volunteering is done with the pharmaceutical with vaccine. Only way to add more volunteers is a new pharm, or new age group.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Not how trials work. Once chosen, the group is fixed. The volunteering is done with the pharmaceutical with vaccine. Only way to add more volunteers is a new pharm, or new age group.
Say WHAT????? I must not be reading the post correctly, because it makes no sense.

Most drug trials start with a sufficient number of volunteers that are randomized into a treatment group and a control (placebo) group, these groups are unknown to the researchers and the patients (double blinded). If the study is done at several different centers, all the better. The groups are matched generally for age, co-morbidities, sex, and habits. There are always participants that drop out for whatever reason. Patients are asked to reveal any potential "side effects", anything that is different in their lives. Then, the results are compared to the original proposition----such as does this vaccine prevent COVID or does this drug lower blood pressure, and how well.
What I just described is the Phase 3 trial, phase 1&2 is solely to determine dosing and potential side effects.

That's how this works, in theory. However, having run a bunch of these trials, I can state that the tendency among some participants is to tell the researchers what they want to hear, not what they actually are experiencing.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
My wife and I are involved in the 3rd phase of the Moderna vaccine trials. The day after my second shot, which was approximately 3 weeks ago, I developed a fever and some aches and pains. I told my wife I was going to sleep in another bedroom that night and not to get close to me, as while I was guessing it was from the shot, she has heart and lung issues so I didn't want her to get too close, just in case. At about 4:00 A.M. my fever broke. By morning I was feeling completely normal again. A week later we went elsewhere to get anti-body testing and I had strong anti-bodies for Covid. I obviously got the real thing but unfortunately my wife got the placebo. While I am happy that I am now protected I really wish that she were the one to have gotten the protection. So I am now both fairly happy for me but really sad for my wife. As Americans I think we should do our part. These studies are well controlled and I think quite safe. As aside, they are also almost fun to do.
That's great news, early results from the RNA vaccines sound encouraging fingers crossed.

I received a Placebo in the Pfizer trial but hopefully the control group will get access to the real thing early.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Say WHAT????? I must not be reading the post correctly, because it makes no sense.

Most drug trials start with a sufficient number of volunteers that are randomized into a treatment group and a control (placebo) group, these groups are unknown to the researchers and the patients (double blinded). If the study is done at several different centers, all the better. The groups are matched generally for age, co-morbidities, sex, and habits. There are always participants that drop out for whatever reason. Patients are asked to reveal any potential "side effects", anything that is different in their lives. Then, the results are compared to the original proposition----such as does this vaccine prevent COVID or does this drug lower blood pressure, and how well.
What I just described is the Phase 3 trial, phase 1&2 is solely to determine dosing and potential side effects.

That's how this works, in theory. However, having run a bunch of these trials, I can state that the tendency among some participants is to tell the researchers what they want to hear, not what they actually are experiencing.
Exactly.

The people running the participant part of the trials were working 12 hour days 7 days a week to get things started as quickly as possible.

They gave us an app to report in any symptoms weekly.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:16 AM
Sage

Here's a nice synthesis of what the COVID vaccine trials currently look like,

What a Successful Vaccine Trial Looks Like - The Atlantic
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccine, trials, died, heard, post

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.