Have there been any deaths of those in vaccine trials?

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2020, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
The following comment is from a poster in another thread. I would have responded to this poster but that thread was CLOSED by the time I read it.........

Originally Posted by sooziesoul
You do realize that some people on which the vaccine has been tested, have died. I’ll let others try it first

Responding to the above post.......
I have heard of vaccine trials being put on hold twice because of adverse reactions.Those trials resumed shortly after.

I have not heard that people have died from the vaccine during trials. I have heard of one 28 year old man (who was a physician who was in contact with Covid patients) who participated in the vaccine trials who died. It was established that he was not receiving the vaccine but the placebo. The cause of his death was from complications of Covid-19.

Article here.......
28-year-old volunteer in AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine trial dies | Healthcare Finance News
thx much! that was the story i was referring to, but couldn't remember where i saw it. good find, oxo
Old 10-26-2020, 12:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Thoughtsful Advise

I heard a well known Dr on TV respond to a question which was how confident can we be
when we see the statistics on Covid-19 deaths. His response was that when a patient
passes away who had multiple serious problems including the Coivd-19 virus it is, in a
lot of cases hard to identify the true reason for the death. And in most cases the reason is
recorded as the Virus but that may or may not have been the direct cause of death?
Old 10-26-2020, 01:37 PM

Of all the company releasing vaccine, Moderna is the one I would not take. Just my own opinion. I think modern stands for modified RNA. Maybe sounds crazy on my part but this is the only one I would not get my vaccine. I had my flu shots recently and I have sore arms afterward being injected never had any problems when I had my flu shots every other year. Just sharing my thought and experience.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Covid-19 vaccine volunteer in Brazil's AstraZeneca trial dies - CNN

Death in Brazil, no details released other than it will not result in any stopping of the vaccine trial. Read the article for a further discussion of the reasons.
I work in the clinical trial industry. The speed at which the trial was resumed has led many in the industry to speculate that the subject who died was in the placebo group. This has not been confirmed by any AstraZeneca source.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:08 PM
Default Death from COVID trials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
the story i read was a person from Europe who was involved in the trial died. it was discovered the person was given a placebo, therefore not treating his illness. i think it was the Daily Mail or Telegraph reporting
I spoke with friends in London. The Moderna trial was halted for one week because one of the participants (a female) developed a spinal infection. They went back to trials in one week which suggests that the participant was a control patient.

The second trial halted was in South America. Again the trial has resumed after identification of the participant. Again suggesting the participant was a patient in the control group.

Because of the concerns from anti-vaxers here in America, the trials are going very slow here.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Given how significant the implications are, the very least a Covid trials company should do is identify immediately whether the person who reacted very badly was in the placebo group or not. Within 24 hours they should publish that information especially if the person was in the placebo group. When they do not let us even know that, they lose many many people’s confidence in whatever they say later.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Given how significant the implications are, the very least a Covid trials company should do is identify immediately whether the person who reacted very badly was in the placebo group or not. Within 24 hours they should publish that information especially if the person was in the placebo group. When they do not let us even know that, they lose many many people’s confidence in whatever they say later.
Why on God's green Earth would a pharmaceutical company conducting phase 3 trials of a vaccine make preliminary, unconfirmed, mid-study results publicly available, especially isolated cases of death of unknown causality? 99.9% of the public would have no idea how to interpret the data and would draw erroneous conclusions. Might as well give a suicidal person a loaded gun
Old 10-26-2020, 05:21 PM
Sage

When the pharmaceutical company pauses a trial, many people hold their breaths. They don’t have to give much details, but the company could quickly say that the person they paused the trial for got the placebo or the vaccine. I believe they must know this. That’s all I’m asking for. Lack of transparency invites distrust.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
When the pharmaceutical company pauses a trial, many people hold their breaths. They don’t have to give much details, but the company could quickly say that the person they paused the trial for got the placebo or the vaccine. I believe they must know this. That’s all I’m asking for. Lack of transparency invites distrust.
First of all, a pharmaceutical company is not a public entity---they have no requirement to be "transparent" (although their competition would love the idea)

When someone in the placebo group dies, it clearly is not from the vaccine. When someone in the treatment group dies, it is usually NOT from the vaccine either, but most of the public would assume that it is. Many people , there and then, would decide that they will never take the vaccine, defeating the whole purpose of a vaccination program. What if treatment group deaths from the polio vaccine were made public? Or smallpox? In that case I think we would have a much bigger infectious disease problem than COVID.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:40 PM
Sage

You are right as usual, GE, I wasn’t thinking of the competition either.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

People that volunteer for those studies do so with the full knowledge that they may get sick or even die.

Many people do it for the money as they are almost all compensated. They are thoroughly screen to ensure that they are healthy enough.

The point is that they volunteer knowing the risks.

We don't even know that this one person that died while participating in the study died as a result of the vaccine.

If you disagree with these studies, how would you suggest that the vaccines are tested prior to being made available to the general public?

Every medication that is currently on the market has been tested on human being prior to being approved. The primary purpose of the test is not to determine efficacy but rather safety. Does anyone ever question whether or not people died in studies for other medications?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcommuter View Post
Of all the company releasing vaccine, Moderna is the one I would not take. Just my own opinion. I think modern stands for modified RNA. Maybe sounds crazy on my part but this is the only one I would not get my vaccine. I had my flu shots recently and I have sore arms afterward being injected never had any problems when I had my flu shots every other year. Just sharing my thought and experience.
RNA vaccines have many potential advantages, comparison is not so simple at this point.

https://massivesci.com/articles/mrna...virus-moderna/

From adenoviruses to RNA: the pros and cons of different COVID vaccine technologies
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccine, trials, died, heard, post

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.