Have you used the Villages Regional Hospital?

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Founder
Default Have you used the Villages Regional Hospital?

I have heard great things about the hospital and I think the new addition is going to be terrific. I have heard stories, though, that there are waits as long as five hours to be seen in the emergency room. That really frightens me thinking that every getting sick and having to go there. What is your experience?
Old 12-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Default Re: Have you used the Villages Regional Hospital?

I've had several experiences with the Regional hospital here in The Villages. All of them were positive - even the ER waiting time when a neighbor had a crisis. And, my recent surgery was uneventful (just as I had hoped) and the staff were exceptional.

However, a friend used the ER last week, arriving in mid-afternoon and didn't leave until almost 4 a.m. Other patients waited up to 7 hours to see someone.

Based on what I've heard, I am inclined to think of a few things. First, there needs to be a better triage system to get patients cared for quicker. Second, there is a severe shortage of available physicians in the ER. Thirdly, it is short-sighted to close Urgent Care at 6 p.m. Having this type of unit open 7x24 might be costly, but it would decrease the obvious burden placed on the ER, allowing non-emergency but yet important problems getting attention in a timely manner.

I've noticed in the past 3 years, that though we are a burgeoning community, many services aren't keeping up with our growth. It appears we aren't proactive in our expansion programs throughout The Villages. By the time a new or increased service, business or development project is approved and finalized, our needs have exceeded the newly increased capacity.

To answer your initial question, Yes, the hospital is terrific; Yes, the waiting times in the ER can be extraordinarily long at times. The bottom line is we've got first class residents who demand first class service and the needs vs. capacity is out of balance.

All in all, I love it here in The Villages. It was definitely one of the better decisions I ever made.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Founder
Default Re: Have you used the Villages Regional Hospital?

I agree with everything you said. Your reply was very well written. I enjoyed reading it.

As you know, a six or seven hour waiting time in an emergency room, when you are sick, can seem like an eternity. I just cannot imagine what it must be like for the admissions staff, having to listen to all of the complaining. I know they are completing an addition to the hospital, and I hope it means better service in the ER.

It is my understanding that the situation is no better at Leesburg Hospital. From time to time, I have a police scanner on in my house. The other night, I heard an ambulance headed to Leesburg, and the ER told them "Expect extended delays on your arrival." :yikes:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.