Having a hard time finding a Doc to care for me

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM

I am not sure what the point of the post is. Is it just to vent or get sympathy or is there a purpose to it.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I'm sorry to hear of all the problems you're having but I wonder why you don't believe what the doctors are telling you. If you've had 18 abdominal surgeries, what makes you think that all you need is one more? When they tell you that the surgery is too high risk and you will end up worse, why would you want it? Have you ever considered that maybe it's time to stop fighting it and accept what they're telling you?
Sounds like you have a lot of adhesions after all of the abdominal surgery you have had, which proposes a big risk for surgery. I have a friend who almost died from another abdominal surgery because of all of his adhesions from previous surgeries. It was touch and go after the surgery for him. Recognizing that, I assume the docs don't want a lawsuit if the surgery fails. It must be terribly frustrating for you. I wish you the best in the future. Perhaps Mayo will have a better answer for you.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Send a message via AIM to LynnDeb

Not sure if this pertains to OP but me personally not of Medicare age yet, the drs here dont accept my primary medical ins. but my hubby who is quite ill, has been on disability for yrs now they will accept his medicare and my secondary ins.....go figure????hmmm
Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannej View Post
Sounds like you have a lot of adhesions after all of the abdominal surgery you have had, which proposes a big risk for surgery. I have a friend who almost died from another abdominal surgery because of all of his adhesions from previous surgeries. It was touch and go after the surgery for him. Recognizing that, I assume the docs don't want a lawsuit if the surgery fails. It must be terribly frustrating for you. I wish you the best in the future. Perhaps Mayo will have a better answer for you.

Legislators vote to give Shands Jacksonville immunity from large malpractice claims

Bill setting $200,000 cap could save hospitals $12 million in insurance
:

(5-13-2011) Florida lawmakers wanted to shield Shands Jacksonville from large medical malpractice claims so much, they did it twice.

The Senate voted overwhelmingly April 28 (2011) to pass a House bill that extends the lawsuit protection that the hospital's physicians already enjoy to nurses and other medical workers. The bill also affects Shands at the University of Florida in Gainesville.

Six days later, the House approved a Senate measure guaranteeing the same protection to six university-affiliated hospitals statewide, including Shands Jacksonville and its sister hospital in Gainesville.

The Republican-led Legislature's anti-lawyer mood didn't stop there. Lawmakers passed sweeping medical liability changes, including imposing tougher rules against expert witnesses, prohibiting as evidence insurance-company determinations and extending immunity to physicians volunteering at school athletic events.

Proponents say the Shands bill, which needs Gov. Rick Scott's signature to become law, would save the Gainesville-based hospital system $12 million a year in insurance premiums. That savings could help defray the more than $100 million the two hospitals write off annually in providing care to indigent patients, according to Shands officials.

"A limitation on liability will significantly reduce your insurance costs," said Tony Carvalho, president of the Safety Net Hospital Alliance of Florida. "I think they [Shands officials] are looking at every avenue to cut costs and retain their mission."

Shands spokesman Dan Leveton was unable to make a hospital representative available for comment.

Facing a more than $3 billion shortfall, lawmakers aimed to save money from one of their biggest line items: Medicaid. Cuts to the state and federal insurance program are expected to shave $15 million off Shands Jacksonville's revenues.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: Legislators vote to give Shands Jacksonville immunity from large malpractice claims | jacksonville.com
Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Send a message via AIM to Diveda

I have plenty of nightmare stories re my husband and Shands. Mayo, although a drive, I highly recommend.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.