Health Care Costs Pre-medicare

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sjc View Post
1600 month, 100/month. That's a big swing.

I thought through my work COBRA was 1300/ month.

Thanks for the responses. On TV web site I see Advantage if eligible for Medicare. But accepts other commercial insurance if under 65. Does that make sense?
Anyone paying $100/month is receiving a large subsidy from obamacare.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:44 PM

Get ready for sticker shock. My wife is almost 61 and has been on Obamacare for 4 years. I pay a mortgage sized premium every month.

Your monthly premium will depend on the level of plan you choose and whether you are eligible for a subsidy. Amy has a gold plan since I was getting killed with deductibles and copays in her earlier plans.

I also suggest you check what plans the doctors you might use will accept.

I also recommend you get a PPO plan rather than an HMO in order to have more choices in doctors. I have a regional PPO plan for myself and find that I have lots of flexibility in choosing doctors.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 12-30-2017, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Anyone paying $100/month is receiving a large subsidy from obamacare.
As ridiculous as it sounds this is true. For 2018 if you project a joint income of $41000 you are eligible for a subsidy of over $1800/month (yes per month) towards marketplace health insurance.

Will you save? Do a quick check | HealthCare.gov

It's a simple plug the numbers in calculator.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
We are in the same boat, still have a year and a half until 65. Our current provider is Florida Blue for healthcare, Florida Combined Life for Dental and VSP for vision. Total cost is just over $1,500 a month.
Thanks that's good info.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
As ridiculous as it sounds this is true. For 2018 if you project a joint income of $41000 you are eligible for a subsidy of over $1800/month (yes per month) towards marketplace health insurance.

My wife's gross premium is $1250 per month. Her net is $725 per month.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 12-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Sage
Default Health Care Costs Pre-medicare

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post

Not ridiculous considering if you had to pay the full premium it would give you only about $19,000 a year to live on. Hence the large subsidy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2017, 02:38 PM

Healthcare.gov (Obamacare) is the best out there, at least what of it is left. Not great, but better than nothing, or what might be available in future.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sjc View Post
Hello Villagers,

Thinking of retiring before 65. Would need to purchase health insurance on my own. Anyone have experience on this?

Non-smoking couple age 63/61:

Cost estimate?
Suggested health care insurance companies?
Dental, vision costs?

Presently living in San Jose and have Kaiser through work. They probably offer a Cobra plan; but not sure it would work in FL.

Thanks,

Tom
Healthcare costs are outrageous. I am retired and my wife is self employed and we are both still in our late 50's. Our income does not allow us to get any subsidies and we have both had health issues so we get very good insurance through BC/BS. We pay just under $2,000 a month or about $24K per year. With inflation, we are looking at about $200,000 in premiums before Medicare kicks in, assuming it hasen't been gutted by then. The premiums would have gotten much worse if congress managed to pass the health care reform on the table earlier this year. Thea reform being pushed would have hit people between 50 and 65 very hard by eliminating the cap on risk pricing for seniors currently in place under Obamacare. Don't get me wrong, I don't like Obamacare, but it's better that what congress was trying to replace it with. What is sad is that my wife does not want to retire, but if she does we can get our income down to the point where the subsidies will kick in and we will be better off financially. Something is very wrong when the system gives people a disincentive to work?
Closed Thread

Tags
health, work, insurance, care, costs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.