Hearing aid made by Eargo

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage
Question Hearing aid made by Eargo

Has anyone bought these new hi tech in the ear models?

Eargo | A Revolutionary New Hearing Aid
Old 02-10-2020, 01:34 PM
Default Eargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post

I have had them for about 6 months. Wear them everyday - all day. Often go to bed at night and forget to take them out. Comfortable enough to forget about them. They do the job for me. Four settings I only use the first two. #1 in left ear and #2 in right ear; don't need higher volume. Nice not having to ask my wife to repeat herself.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:

I have an older model before they had adjustment by smart phone app available. I like them, the price was right, but when you buy the latest model you pay a lot more than you will 6 months later.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:49 PM
Sage

Well lots a new tech is like that.

They asked for me to send the Audio test I did last week to them for evaluation I sure they will not say they their aids won't help.
Sending a no working pair to see if I like the way they feel at no charge.

I went to Creekside for the test the person was very nice and through but only suggested behind the ear models for about $3,000-$4,000 after insurance needing 4 weekly adjustments.

Spoke to another company said they can't accept those results but would do another set of tests, because Creekside's isn't that good???

I like techy stuff so I'm interested in the Eargo's they claim over 50,000 sold with 30 audiologists that can remotely tune if needed, 2 year warrentee and insurance but with a $295 deductible for each if lost

Old 02-10-2020, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

I had in the ear aids when I first started needing hearing help, vanity mostly , as I did not want anyone to know I needed them.
After I lost one on two occasions, I went for behind the ear, as they seem to be more stable when wearing.
Most good hearing aids now are bluetooth compatible, and have rechargable batteries.
Both types worked fine, just preference.
I have Phonak, but plenty of good makes out there.
If your audiologist will not give you a live trial before purchase, I would find another who will.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:38 AM
Sage
Arrow

When blu tooth is in the aid the size of the unit increases,

Eargo uses their own App so their aids are tiny w/o BT
Old 02-11-2020, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

I see these have rechargeable batteries - but even those have to be replaced once in awhile - eventually they cease to hold a charge. Are the batteries in this brand replaceable? Can they be replaced by the user or do they have to be brought somewhere for servicing? What kind of batteries do they use?

Also how is the phenomenon of chronic wax buildup addressed? Do they stop working when wax starts plugging it up, or do you get some kind of little tone telling you that it needs to be cleared? I have hearing aids that use those little wax shields, but they get clogged as well and my aids shut themselves off when they're clogged. That means they function as ear-plugs, until I can take them out of my ears, clean them, swap out for a new set of wax guards, and put them back in. When you work retail - this is not something you can do, at all, during work. So I don't wear any hearing aids at work. It's also a huge inconvenience any other time (and scary-distracting if you're driving in traffic when all of a sudden you are almost completely deaf) so I don't wear them anywhere at all, anymore.

Definitely looking for devices I can wear in my ears, not over them since I wear glasses and have very small ears (I can wear glasses OR hearing aides over my ears - not both)
Old 02-11-2020, 09:13 AM
Sage

Batteries last 3 plus years, not replaceable
Old 02-11-2020, 09:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Batteries last 3 plus years, not replaceable
So a pair of the Neo aids which are I think $2600 (give or take) is more like $2600 for three years, and then you have to pay the same for the next set when the batteries die.

Compare to the Siemen's that I have, that theoretically last 5 years before they typically need to be replaced due to normal wear and tear, but those were around $6000 for the pair.

Seems the Neos are the better deal, financially.

Now if they don't cut out when there's wax buildup, I might be looking at a new pair of hearing aids next year (I'd have to save up, our insurance doesn't cover any of it).
Old 02-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I see these have rechargeable batteries - but even those have to be replaced once in awhile - eventually they cease to hold a charge. Are the batteries in this brand replaceable? Can they be replaced by the user or do they have to be brought somewhere for servicing? What kind of batteries do they use?

Also how is the phenomenon of chronic wax buildup addressed? Do they stop working when wax starts plugging it up, or do you get some kind of little tone telling you that it needs to be cleared? I have hearing aids that use those little wax shields, but they get clogged as well and my aids shut themselves off when they're clogged. That means they function as ear-plugs, until I can take them out of my ears, clean them, swap out for a new set of wax guards, and put them back in. When you work retail - this is not something you can do, at all, during work. So I don't wear any hearing aids at work. It's also a huge inconvenience any other time (and scary-distracting if you're driving in traffic when all of a sudden you are almost completely deaf) so I don't wear them anywhere at all, anymore.

Definitely looking for devices I can wear in my ears, not over them since I wear glasses and have very small ears (I can wear glasses OR hearing aides over my ears - not both)
Regarding wax. I have the over ear Phonak hearing aid, with the soft rubber? coned inserts. I have only had to replace the wax guard and insert once in the last year.
It is really a case of where the wax guard is located in the ear insert.
If it is in the front of the ear insert they do clog quickly.
If behind the insert they seldom clog.
I also wear glasses, and have no problem with over the ear.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Regarding wax. I have the over ear Phonak hearing aid, with the soft rubber? coned inserts. I have only had to replace the wax guard and insert once in the last year.
It is really a case of where the wax guard is located in the ear insert.
If it is in the front of the ear insert they do clog quickly.
If behind the insert they seldom clog.
I also wear glasses, and have no problem with over the ear.
Thanks, I didn't know there were devices where you could remove/replace wax guards on the interior instead of the exterior.

As for the glasses thing - it's glasses *plus* very small ears that's the problem. I know lots of folks who have devices that hook right onto their glass frames.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
If your audiologist will not give you a live trial before purchase, I would find another who will.
Many advertise 30 day free trial but that is a law that requires them to give 30 day free trial.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Many advertise 30 day free trial but that is a law that requires them to give 30 day free trial.
If you want in the ear units not going to happen, they will charge for the molds
Old 02-13-2020, 09:15 AM
Sage

Had an interesting conversation with two local dealer now I'm stating to think about calling them stealers.

both said the Eargo's are NOT hearing aids they are merely amplifiers that are not adjustable.

I then called Eargo where a audiologist took my call call, she said they are hearing aids they have 16 channels to adjust sound. no different than Resound, Starkey etc

They are so hi tech any adjustments are done with them thru a tel app

I'm waiting on test units to see how they feel, all other brands must be molded to your ear, they say that cuts off a lot of natural sound feels like your hand id over your ear.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
When blu tooth is in the aid the size of the unit increases,

Eargo uses their own App so their aids are tiny w/o BT
They are Bluetooth. They use Bluetooth LE (low energy). Without Bluetooth (or wifi) they couldn't communicate through the cloud or direct to update the app data.

"Furthermore, when paired with Eargo Neo’s charging cradle via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), which sends usage data to Eargo’s team of licensed hearing professionals through the cloud, users can receive continually updated sound settings based on their usage and preferences."
Closed Thread

Tags
hearing, models, ear, tech, aid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.