Hearing Aids

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Probably not for everyone, but I bought my hearing aid online at Lloyds.com, after going to an audiologist for an exam. They offer an online hearing test, if you don't want to go to an audiologist, and give you a lot of information and many choices. I paid less than $400 for a behind the ear digital name-brand aid and have been very satisfied. I have had it for about six months and would buy the same thing again. Now I don't have anyone to take it to and have it adjusted, though I can send it back to the company for adjustment or repair. As I stated it is probably not the solution for everyone, but it has worked out for me at about 10% of the price of an in-store solution.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Probably not for everyone, but I bought my hearing aid online at Lloyds.com, after going to an audiologist for an exam. **snip**
I had my ears tested by an audiologist at my ENT doctor's office. Purchased aids online at America Hears. They also had a computer program to adjust the aids if needed.
But....if I remember correctly, the state of Florida has a law against internet purchases of hearing aids.
To protect the consumer (not)!
Suffering from TV envy
Old 02-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
snip - I use 2 batteries a week on each ear.
I know your batteries are free but that sounds excessive. I replace the batteries in my aids every other week. I wear them from 6 AM to 11 PM. When I take them out at night, I open the battery "doors". That way they are not in use. I shut them in the morning when I put them back in. I get my batteries when they are on sale at Walgreen's.

For the wax, I have a little device to clean out the tubes and the ear plugs. I do that every other week or sooner if I see a build up. Now that my aids are out of warranty, I spend $20 every 6 months or so and they replace the tubes and check everything out at Lake Hearing.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I know your batteries are free but that sounds excessive. I replace the batteries in my aids every other week. I wear them from 6 AM to 11 PM. When I take them out at night, I open the battery "doors". That way they are not in use. I shut them in the morning when I put them back in. I get my batteries when they are on sale at Walgreen's.

For the wax, I have a little device to clean out the tubes and the ear plugs. I do that every other week or sooner if I see a build up. Now that my aids are out of warranty, I spend $20 every 6 months or so and they replace the tubes and check everything out at Lake Hearing.
My batteries in my old hearing aids lasted two weeks, but were size 312, much larger the the #10's I'm using on the new hearing aids. I too turn them off at night by opening the doors.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Default Very happy with Zounds

I have used hearing aids for 40 years now and have spent a lot of money on them.
I am from the Uk so when I saw an advert for Zounds Hearing centre in Lady Lake saying they can help people with profound hearing loss I was very skeptical,,I needn't have been.I made an appointment and went along and within 2 hours walked out with 2 new hearing aids along with a charging station into which I place the hearing aids at night.Now almost 12 months later
I can say that I am still very very pleased with them,without doubt the best I have ever had.
The consultant was Gerald Mottese,and with no " hard sell tactics " he made the experience a pleasure.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
My batteries in my old hearing aids lasted two weeks, but were size 312, much larger the the #10's I'm using on the new hearing aids. I too turn them off at night by opening the doors.
Mine are #13. As small as the end of an eraser. I would have not thought that the size would make a difference. I will remember that if I have to get a new set of aids.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
Another point I want to add. With my controller there is a setting for "party" which turns off the back speakers. I complained to the guy at Zounds that when I did this I still heard a lot of backgound noise. After thinking about this for awhile I finally figured it out. Since my hearing is not all that bad without aids I figured that I was still hearing the background noise with my regular hearing. If I were fairly deaf I don't think I would be able to hear this noise.

John
Background noise is a big problem with hearing aids. It's much better now than it was 25 years ago but it's not just those with mild hearing loss who experience this problem.
My hearing loss is severe in one ear, profound in the other. With my hearing aids properly adjusted the background noise in minimized greatly but not eliminated. It's critical that you have an audiologist who will spend the time to get the adjustment right. With modern hearing aids there are different settings for different situations. Mine are set for 1) Normal conversational situations. 2) Restaurant/party type situations. This has increased filtering of background noise. 3) Music. This is unfiltered. As a long time musician I need an unfiltered setting. Without it the hearing aid sometimes filters out the sound of my guitar. Funny, my wife sometimes thinks my playing sounds like noise too.
I doubt if the guy at Zounds was surprised by your complaint. Background noise is one of the most common issues with hearing aids.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Gold member

Actually it depends on the hearing aid. Some are just hungrier than others. The Starkey CIC's I have now as well as the previous 3 sets go through batteries in just over 4 days. I've had other hearing aids over the years which had a longer battery life but I like the aids I have now. For me, it's worth it to change the batteries more often. When I change the batteries I mark on the battery pack the day and time of the change. Then I know when to change them so I don't get that unwanted "low battery" message.
As far as wax, that's not a problem anymore either. My hearing aids use little wax shields that plug into the opening of the hearing aid. They catch any wax or junk before it gets into the hearing aid. When I change the batteries I take a look at the shields. If they're getting clogged I replace them.
I also clean all surfaces and vents of the hearing aids once a week. This quick maintenence greatly reduces problems.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Paige Holt is just fabulous - Lake ENT.
Patient, caring, one of only two audiologists in the area.
Strongly recommonded!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.