Hearing Dr Recommendation

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2021, 11:45 AM
Default Hearing Dr Recommendation

My wife insists I can't hear -- I insist she mumbles or talks (mumbles) when I'm near a TV, washer machine or flushing toilet... Needless to say, I'm losing the battle (and she still mumbles) -- ANY recommendation on a good Hearing Dr/Audiologist in the Villages. Would prefer South of Sumter Landing, but not necessary. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janicepyatt View Post
My wife insists I can't hear -- I insist she mumbles or talks (mumbles) when I'm near a TV, washer machine or flushing toilet... Needless to say, I'm losing the battle (and she still mumbles) -- ANY recommendation on a good Hearing Dr/Audiologist in the Villages. Would prefer South of Sumter Landing, but not necessary. Thanks.
If any "south of Sumter" options aren't satisfactory for you, I'll toss Dr. Waldo at the Villages Health center at Santa Barbara Blvd, which is right next door to the Villages Regional Hospital campus on 441.

She's terrific, and her recommendations aren't based on whatever brand she's selling. She is more familiar with some brands over others of course - all doctors are more familiar with certain procedures, medications, treatments. But when I told her I was considering a brand other than the one she recommended, she had high praise for it, and was more than happy to discuss the pros and cons and comparisons of each.

The brand I'm selecting has certain features that I really like, that the other one doesn't have. The other brand has certain features that this brand doesn't have, but I'm not interested in those features. So it came down to which boxes I needed to check off my list, and it came down to the brand she originally recommended.

She also is price-matching with my discount plan, even though she isn't a provider on that plan.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I could have posted this!!! LOL

I had my hearing tested, right ear is pretty good, left ear is a bit weak.
I'm not ready for a hearing aid, I had one and ended up not using it.

There's another thread on the board here that had two good points:
1) If she talks to you facing another direction or from another room, it's an issue.
2) It helps a lot if she prefaces speaking to you with your name "IE: John, let's talk about.... "

My wife has a somewhat soft voice and with the radio, tv, fans, etc, sometimes she doesn't project (as opposed to my not hearing!) And sometimes, I'm reading or thinking or whatever and I don't change my focus as fast I used to, admittedly. If she says my name and gets my attention, it's not an issue.

We're working on this awareness and it's somewhat better just to know.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

I am using Village Ear. Three locations in the villages
Old 07-27-2021, 06:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Not to come off as argumentative but you do not need a medical doctor (MD) or an Audiologist (PhD) to get fitted (tested) for hearing aids. Just as most do not need a MD for the flu (Nurse Practitioner works well).

The warehouse clubs (Sam's and Costco) have hearing technicians who are very competent. The savings are significant. A Costco hearing aid pair at $1,399.00 easily matches a $5,000.00 pair in features and quality. The service at Costco is exceptional!

Costco sells more hearing aids than any other firm in the US.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Not to come off as argumentative but you do not need a medical doctor (MD) or an Audiologist (PhD) to get fitted (tested) for hearing aids. Just as most do not need a MD for the flu (Nurse Practitioner works well).

The warehouse clubs (Sam's and Costco) have hearing technicians who are very competent. The savings are significant. A Costco hearing aid pair at $1,399.00 easily matches a $5,000.00 pair in features and quality. The service at Costco is exceptional!

Costco sells more hearing aids than any other firm in the US.
The audiologist in Va who sold us our first pair claims that big box stores are selling older technology and that is why they are cheaper.

Have no idea if this is true but the ones we bought last year were over $ 4000. Next time we will get a quote from Sams.
Closed Thread

Tags
mumbles, hearing, recommendation, good, dr/audiologist

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.