Heatlh Insurance for 58 Year Old Villages Resident

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Question Heatlh Insurance for 58 Year Old Villages Resident

I am a 58 year old resident of TV and have a second home in Virginia. I would like to keep my Virginia Health Insurance because I like my doctors in Virginia. (established history) My insurance is not with an employer or thru Healthcare.gov. Looking for reasons why I should switch my health insurance coverage to FL verses just planning my doctor checkups when I periodically travel to Virginia. Has anyone had experience with this same scenario and can offer advice or input? Thank you.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:04 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Not many choices for a 58 year old, except Obamacare
Old 12-07-2018, 09:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamanca View Post
Looking for reasons why I should switch my health insurance coverage to FL verses just planning my doctor checkups when I periodically travel to Virginia.
If almost all of your time is spent in FL you might want to switch to FL in case you health deteriorates and you need more than periodic checkups and want a local doctor here to manage that. I'm assuming you're asking because your current policy doesn't cover doctors in FL.

As far as history your health records can be sent to your new doctor in FL.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamanca View Post
I am a 58 year old resident of TV and have a second home in Virginia. I would like to keep my Virginia Health Insurance because I like my doctors in Virginia. (established history) My insurance is not with an employer or thru Healthcare.gov. Looking for reasons why I should switch my health insurance coverage to FL verses just planning my doctor checkups when I periodically travel to Virginia. Has anyone had experience with this same scenario and can offer advice or input? Thank you.
I tried keeping my PCP in South Carolina when I moved here eight years ago. When I went to him the second time after moving, he said it was not a good idea for either one of us to be so far apart. I took my time and found a PCP here that I like.
All that said, I still have my eye doctor in SC. I had Lasik surgery 15 years ago and have only required a yearly follow up.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Thank you for your replies.

I should add that we will be in Florida slightly more than in Virginia but not by much.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

OP, did you check with your insurance coverage about possible coverage in this area, you may be able to find a PC that will accept your insurance, then you would have coverage at both locations. In any case you should check your coverage in case of an accident or sickness while you are here so you know what to expect.

Tags
insurance, virginia, health, resident, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.