High-Protein diet

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
I don't agree with 'High' protein either. For me too much protein just turns to sugar. I try to eat a Ketogenic diet which is high fat,moderate protein and low carbs. Again, one of the best books to explain this WOE is Keto Clarity by Jimmy Morre and Eric C. Westman, MD. It will then lead you to read Cholesterol Clarity by the same.
Yes, This is how I eat also, without reading the book this is difficult for most people to wrap their head around, as it goes against all that we have been told for years, but this works, and more and more Doctors are starting to realize this, as always we all have to self educate ourselves and take control of our health.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBee1 View Post
Yes, This is how I eat also, without reading the book this is difficult for most people to wrap their head around, as it goes against all that we have been told for years, but this works, and more and more Doctors are starting to realize this, as always we all have to self educate ourselves and take control of our health.
Since you read the book, do you recall the author mentioning any large long-term study that illustrates health and longevity. Lifespan? Is there a link to any such study?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
Great explanation how this whole 'fat is bad, causes high cholesterol MYTH' came to be.

The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition? - Features - Health & Families - The Independent
Hi PR1234: I came across that article a number of months ago. Then other articles followed explaining that people 65+ should eat high protein because their rate of absorption is compromised . It followed an article that had the headline "a steak a day keeps the doctor away" I know many people who have real intestinal problems living on a vegan type diet.

The best explanation I have read concerning this issue of fat came from a Harvard health Letter. In that article they labeled people excretors, compensators and storers The first group had the capacity to excrete excess fat from their bodies. the second group metabollism was such that it took additional fat needed and excrete excess and the last the problem group simply stored fat. It would appear that genetics played a significant role here

Personally I believe moderation in all things not only from a health standpoint but because it makes life more interesting. I mean my lifestyle has gotten me this far with little residuals.

What drives topics like this is the old age search for the fountain of youth. Look at the news articles in our daily papers and they are just loaded with advertising for looking younger slicker, healthier, sexier. Obvious these advertisers are trying to appeal to people's vanity and/or enabling them to deny their mortality.

My wife once asked what my reaction to a face life would be. My reply its not my choice but yours but please don't return home a stranger. Personally my view is beauty belongs to the young. We had our turn and in my view we should view beauty in a very different light. I love watching my wife's maturation she becomes more precious, more beautiful and more endearing with its passing day. Now there is something that can keep you healthy and young acting. We ought to bottled it
Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
.... Personally I believe moderation in all things not only from a health standpoint but because it makes life more interesting....
What drives topics like this is the old age search for the fountain of youth.

I love watching my wife's maturation she becomes more precious, more beautiful and more endearing with its passing day. Now there is something that can keep you healthy and young acting.
Rubicon, I agree with your thoughts.
The "experts" seem to have increased their focus on seniors.
Not only because wrinklies are searching for the Fountain of Youth, but with the internet, we now have access to vast amounts of medical opinions.
Doctors are more likely to challenge old ideas. Seniors are gobbling up information, researching their options, and not content to settle for old-fashioned ideas.
New and important facts and theories are being discussed and studies are being done. What was true ten years ago is quite possibly not relevant today.

As an aside, I do LOVE your fond comments about your wife.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hi PR1234:Personally I believe moderation in all things not only from a health standpoint but because it makes life more interesting.
The problem: Two thirds of the population, those who are overweight or obese, have failed "moderation 101".

And the rest of us pay for it either through higher taxes or higher insurance premiums.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Veteran member

Per David Perlmutter, M.D. Facebook page:

Join me today with Dr. Mehmet Oz. We'll be discussing the science behind a low-carb, gluten-free lifestyle, and how you can make simple lifestyle changes for better health. Check your local listings: The Dr. Oz Show | The Dr. Oz Show
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.