Home Care agencies and private duty suggestions

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2019, 09:53 AM
Default Home Care agencies and private duty suggestions

Looking mostly for companionship a few times a week for my 95y/o Father with dementia. Sometimes needs help with toileting. HHA preferred but not necessary with recent verifiable references. Loves to play cards, do puzzles, watch television, short walks etc..
Has anyone had experience with Visiting Angels, Home Instead? Any private people you could recommend with good references would be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:11 PM

I had a less than favorable experience with the local Visiting Angels, this was 12 months ago in upstate NY. Out of 10 nights they were on time 3 nights, late 2 nights and no shows 5 nights. The tasks weren’t that hard, assist with toileting, provide an nebulizer treatment and check on a nasal cannula. The person didn’t have to sit in the room, just listen to a monitor.

Needless to say they were fired and my father passed away several days later. The only reason I used an agency was to satisfy a long term care policy that didn’t pay for this assistance. I could have used non-agency staff and received better assistance.

Hopefully your experience will be positive.

Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 PM
Veteran member

The "Life Care Resources" section of this new local non-profit website may be some help for you.

Villagers Life Care Advocates – Dedicated To Helping Others Find Their Way

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 01-30-2019, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

My father is a 94 year-old Villager. He's had Comfort Keepers caregivers for about 5 years now. They try very hard to provide him with consistent caregivers, and if someone isn't suitable for him, they replace them immediately. Our experience with them has been excellent. His caregivers are competent and caring and often go the extra mile in many ways. We think highly of his 'regulars' and they have earned our trust and gratitude. Believe me, we know how fortunate we've been in this regard.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:35 PM

Thank-You
Old 01-30-2019, 02:35 PM

This is an awesome website . Thank-You
Old 01-30-2019, 03:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Muzzy View Post
This is an awesome website . Thank-You
I agreee, good!

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 02-21-2019, 08:05 PM

There is another option - licensed adult day care. There are two licensed facilities in Sumter County (you can GOOGLE them). Adult day care provides enriching programs (exercises, crafts, games, music, socializing) for the participants while providing much needed respite for the care givers. The facilities are typically open Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to about 5:00 PM. Payor sources include, private pay, long term care insurance, Medicaid replacement programs and a few others. The costs can range from about $75 to $150 a day - which can be much less than home health, assisted living, memory care or skilled nursing. Check them out next time you are looking for options.
Closed Thread

Tags
private, home, references, short, walks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.